Replacing Fork Seals

Hawkeye Driver

I've got on 02 with only 8K miles. Today, I noticed the left fork seal appears bad, oil all over the oleo. Dealer wants about $250 to replace the seals.

I've never done fork seals before. How difficult is this? I've got the service manual and I'm afraid of turning a wrench. Are there any tricks or techniques that I should be aware off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Member Contributer

Nothing difficult. You will need basic tools, as well as something to drive the seals with. I have a piece of cast iron pipe that just fits over the inner fork tube, combined with a plastic bag to protect the fork tube.

There is a how to guide on this site somewhere that shows the entire process.

I've got on 02 with only 8K miles. Today, I noticed the left fork seal appears bad, oil all over the oleo. Dealer wants about $250 to replace the seals.

I've never done fork seals before. How difficult is this? I've got the service manual and I'm afraid of turning a wrench. Are there any tricks or techniques that I should be aware off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

if you pull the forks and take them down it would be alot cheaper, I'd say less than an hour labor , just incase your not the adventure mechanic type

Archived