Electrical Problem?

Bikerholic

• Member Contributer

Going through the Holland Tunnel this morning, traveling at about 25mph, the bike/engine just stopped. I was able to start her back up and keep on rolling. Then as i roll up into my office garage, it happen again. It just stop and a very slow speed. :pissed:

I've already ordered a Battery and it is on its way, I had taken my bike to Honda and gotten the recall address (not sure if parts were replaced thou).

Should i ordered a Voltage Regulator Rectifier & Stator combo?

This was a semi common symptom of the Recall/Harness issue, not many had this motor cut off issue but some did and it seemed to be the harness! :pissed:

Is there any after market harness that can address this? Is it the Tightwad "wiring" kit?

I'm not sure which aspect of the harness is at fault if it is indeed the problem here, but the only simple mod I know is the ground wire fix which seems to address most issues.

Let me find the link.

here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ground+wire+fix

• Member Contributer

When they did your recall, did they replace the front harness, also? My GUESS, (and it is just that), is that if it is not the kickstand switch, tipover sensor, or neutral safety switch,.........If the stealer only replaced the main harness, and not the front, perhaps the front is bad and they missed it. The symptoms you describe are that of the ground problem. Could be the battery. CALL THE STEALER, and find out exactly what they did.

• Member Contributer

Well, it did it again. twice; first time, i was getting off an exit off the Turn Pike around 60mph, then engine cuts off. Second time i was getting off Verrazano Bridge, banking a mild left and engine cuts off. :pissed: Luckily both times, I was able to clutch and start button. Will try the "blue connector/ground wire" as temporary fix till i get back from Myrtle Beach.

Thanks for the help.

• Member Contributer

Call the dealer. Get your ducks in a row. In a month, they're gonna be like,.."What VFR?" Get some time in on the mod, too. You tak'n the bike south? Would suck to have to ship it home.

Well, it did it again. twice; first time, i was getting off an exit off the Turn Pike around 60mph, then engine cuts off. Second time i was getting off Verrazano Bridge, banking a mild left and engine cuts off. :pissed: Luckily both times, I was able to clutch and start button. Will try the "blue connector/ground wire" as temporary fix till i get back from Myrtle Beach.

Thanks for the help.

Do you notice if any or all of these Cut-outs occur after hitting a bump? If they have already replaced your (Recall) harness then maybe it was routed wrong or poorly and a wire has rubbed through it's protective insulation and is giving you an occasional short? :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Here is a picture of the connector.

IMG_0019.jpg

Is it suppose to be missing the Green wiring?

VFRBlueConR.jpg

I have check the RR side and both connector coming out of the RR looks fine but on one But on one of the connector, it's clear shield had a "harded" side with a little yellowing. Upon closer inspection, both looks fine.

I will be calling the Dealer tomorrow... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the help.

Do you notice if any or all of these Cut-outs occur after hitting a bump? If they have already replaced your (Recall) harness then maybe it was routed wrong or poorly and a wire has rubbed through it's protective insulation and is giving you an occasional short? :fing02:

I didn't pay enough attention to know if it was due to a bump or not, but i do not think so thou.

Here is a picture of the connector.

IMG_0019.jpg

Is it suppose to be missing the Green wiring?

VFRBlueConR.jpg

I have check the RR side and both connector coming out of the RR looks fine but on one But on one of the connector, it's clear shield had a "harded" side with a little yellowing. Upon closer inspection, both looks fine.

I will be calling the Dealer tomorrow... :fing02:

yes, they have rerouted the grounding.

• Member Contributer

5/17/08

Back at dealer, They will replaced the RR. It should be ready by Wednesday. sad.gif

If i would have more time, I would have bought it online and install it myself.

5/19/08

Received a call from Dealer, not only he didn't have to replace the RR (because he didn't find it to be defective), he mentioned they did check all of the cut off switches and thinks it might be a loose kickstand kill switch. He even put it on the dyno and ran it for a few miles. But because he still didn't find the problem or an actual defective part. He offers to ride my bike back to his house tonight for a real world test run.

He was very clear, informative and pleasant to deal with all this time; there I was all ready to get screw and stuck with a RR bill. They are 2 for 2 so far. This is the second time I have visited them and each time they have demonstrated a level of professionalism I am not used to receiving from a "Brooklyn" shop.

I've had many bad experiences with businesses from Brooklyn; Prospect Motorcycle on Coney Island, Bay Ridge Honda, any electronic store in Brooklyn…. to speak of a few. But this place appears to be a legit shop, of which I can trust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

woes continues. The dealer told me he couldn't find anything wrong but did tighten the kick stand's kill switch. So I headed off to Myrtle beach last Wednesday.

While I was down at Myrtle Beach over the memorial weekend, my bike manage to cut of a number of times :angry: , the last cut off, my bike was at a incline, ends with me dropping the bike resulting with a broken off "Brand Spanking NEW" PAZZO clutch lever. :fing02: I think I have found some commonality with all these engine cut off. When it happens: The engine cut off when i rev it up while decelerating.

Couple with CHARGING PROBLEM, but thanks to "Tightwad's" Voltmeter :fing02: . I was able to "anticipate" the problem to the best I can. I have notice my voltage would drop below 12.3 then continue to drop... drop... drop... all the way to 7.xx volt. The next day, I bought a battery charger, charged it over night and It now starts and stay at 13.0v. Before this, the bike would only go up to 13.7v while traveling at 5kRPM for half and hour. Now it is 14.v at 4kRPM. Problem isn't constant. And i don't think the problem is the battery alone.

Charging problem: Sometime it would charge, other time not... I think this might be more than a battery problem. I've got the battery and will be installing it today. If this fail, I think I might have to replace the Stator/RR combo. sad.gif

Archived