Two Days In An Alternate Universe

• Member Contributer

Just got back from a long weekend in CA, riding around San Francisco with some good friends. First time for me to ride in CA. Rented a BMW R1200RT from Eagleriders (I recommend these guys - they have GS's,RT's, and, of course,them nasty Harley things :wub: ). calibike.jpg Had a great time, hit Skyline Drive, Monterey and Carmel on day 1 and the coast north of the city and Mount Diablo on the second day. Have to say the RT was a nice surprise. Really liked it. Its a larger, heavier bike than my '06 VFR, but handled well. Loved that suspension! Very stable, very responsive. Was lucky to get a bike with only 15 miles on it (except for not having scrubbed-in tires). Thing had ABS, heated seat/grips, electronic cruise, power adjustable windshield (which is just superb to have on board). Of course, I fumbled like an idiot with the turn signals and the transmission clunked like a sum-biatch going into first (normal for BMW's). It was kind of weird to rev the bike at a stop and have the thing kick into my right leg (reactive force from spooling all that motor mass up). Anyway, its a nice bike to rent for those heading up to an area that has an Eaglerider close by. Expensive to own, I'm sure, especially with all those goodies on board. Getting back on my VFR, the Honda felt absolutely tiny in comparison.

eagleridr.jpg

cali3.jpg

cali2.jpg

This was Monterey. Pretty cool with all these purple flowers everywhere.

cali4.jpg

Had some German guy in a cage ask if we were BMW test riders. Of course I said yes. He then proclaimed we had the best jobs in the world! I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm really a VFR driver and that would have much rather been on my bike! :warranty:

Obligatory shot:

cali6.jpg

Later!

ggate.jpg

Thanks for posting. Nice pictures!

I've often wondered about renting a bike when traveling, not that I do a lot of that. Was the experience pain-free? Did you have to leave your first-born as deposit?

One far off dream is to visit Italy for a week and rent a pair of Ducatis, one for me and one for Lady_Squire. Send our luggage ahead and hit the twisties. I figure we probably need to win the lottery first...

:wub:

• Member Contributer
Thanks for posting. Nice pictures!

I've often wondered about renting a bike when traveling, not that I do a lot of that. Was the experience pain-free? Did you have to leave your first-born as deposit?

One far off dream is to visit Italy for a week and rent a pair of Ducatis, one for me and one for Lady_Squire. Send our luggage ahead and hit the twisties. I figure we probably need to win the lottery first...

:wub:

Squire, renting was not so bad. Took a while to complete paperwork. Was $150 US per day, plus $24/day for insurance. Required a $1000 deposit on credit card (covered the insurance deductable). Your Italy plan sounds fabulous. Let me know if you ever figure out how to pull it off ! :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the great report and bike review. Northern CA. is one of the most beautiful places I've ever ridden, great roads and wonderful scenery... just the drivers you must look out for!

I rented a Harley once when in Hawaii, (it was the only bike they had for rent), cost was only $120 with a similar deposit, not too bad really. It confirmed most of my suspicions about that make of bike but it still beat the hell out of seeing the island from a rental car. I also have an acquaintance who did exactly as you describe Squire, visited Italy and rented a Duc, apparently it wasn't too costly or hard to do and the pictures she showed me of the Italian countryside spoke for themselves, how else to enjoy Europe than on a bike! I'm dreaming of that same trip... someday.

Wow! You know, I've been trying to come up with a nice trip idea on the west coast this summer, and I think this takes the cake! It looks like a blast. I'd love to just cruise around Cali for a few days on a bike, but riding the VFR all the way out there is not an option.....I only have so many vacation days. But this looks like the next best thing. $150 a day is a little high, but it is an expensive bike, so not too outrageous, but I looked on their site and they have other bikes like a honda vtx 1300 for like $110/day. But regardless of price, I'm sure it would still be exceptionally fun. Plus I know theres a lot of fellow vfr riders out there to meet and ride with. Thanks for the write up. Now you've go me totally excited to try and get this worked out this summer!

• Member Contributer

I like rides when a good cross-section of bikes are along......throw some sport bikes, cruisers, tourers, sport tourers, etc. together with a good Lead and Sweep, and a lotta' fun can happen................ :biggrin:

Archived