Stebel Horn Installation

Guest Pete McCrary

Bikerholic:

What are what appears to be saw marks on your airbox top? Looks like something similar to what I am trying.

Pete

• Member Contributer

Had to buy the Nautilus, just to see if it would work, and yes, it's the same as the Nautilus Compact in every way except the plastic trumpets. Here it is apart, where you can see the two bits that "catch" and need to be gently separated before the compressor will slide free (or use a hammer, if you're impatient!) One is the main plastic catch on the top of the horn (which was actually pre-broken slightly on mine), and the other is the vent tube on the side (at the top of the compressor).

gallery_362_402_26505.jpg

P5160005x.jpg

There are no bolt holes or anthing that lends itself to easy mounting of the horn part, so maybe Pete's muffler tube idea is the best way to go.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
Bikerholic:

What are what appears to be saw marks on your airbox top? Looks like something similar to what I am trying.

Pete

Pete

Na, no saw marks at all. I've haven't even started on any performance related mod... yet smile.gif

But if you have pics to share, do tell.

• Member Contributer
Had to buy the Nautilus, just to see if it would work, and yes, it's the same as the Nautilus Compact in every way except the plastic trumpets. Here it is apart, where you can see the two bits that "catch" and need to be gently separated before the compressor will slide free (or use a hammer, if you're impatient!) One is the main plastic catch on the top of the horn (which was actually pre-broken slightly on mine), and the other is the vent tube on the side (at the top of the compressor).

gallery_362_402_26505.jpg

P5160005x.jpg

There are no bolt holes or anthing that lends itself to easy mounting of the horn part, so maybe Pete's muffler tube idea is the best way to go.

Ciao,

For bolt/mounting holes. Try this

DSCF0259.jpg

I also cut the intake hose off the trumpet part and glued it to the compressor, and cover all expose area with epoxy.

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

You're definitely on the right track. I fastened my muffler pipe section to the cylindical part of the horn body with JB Weld (how do we get along without it) and one 5 mm bolt just to make doubly sure. You'll find the cylindical portion of the horn body is a perfect fit for the outside of a one and half inch section of muffler pipe.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42067

Check out my post to see how I modified your version due to not being able to get the clamps in Australia.

JBHayman

I saw that. They don't have boats down under? Those clamps like I used are found all day long at marine supply stores. Go on line to Boaters World or West Marine.

Wasn't Austrailia originally a penal colony? Surely the Brits aren't trying to keep you guys from escaping still. Austrialia is one of the few countries in the world that I know people leave the USA and retire too. Has to be a great place.

Pete

I asked over 6 boating shops and no one had seen them before. Feel free to send any my way!!

Jbhayman

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42067

Check out my post to see how I modified your version due to not being able to get the clamps in Australia.

JBHayman

I saw that. They don't have boats down under? Those clamps like I used are found all day long at marine supply stores. Go on line to Boaters World or West Marine.

Wasn't Austrailia originally a penal colony? Surely the Brits aren't trying to keep you guys from escaping still. Austrialia is one of the few countries in the world that I know people leave the USA and retire too. Has to be a great place.

Pete

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have an ABS version that I am going to use your "separation" technique to place the compressor and the horn. The only question I have is what size diameter tube are you folks using for the air line?

I had plans to mount the whole horn just behind the right faring where the fairing ends right below the knee but it was just slightly too large and forced me to leave the bolt off the fairing there (no big deal as I have frame sliders to compensate). This allows me to mount the compressor there vertically and the fairing fits perfectly now. Next is mounting the fan where the stock horn is but you've all ready got that covered nicely. This works nicely for us ABS folk as I have my fuse box mounted on the right side of the nose cowl (a common spot for us) and everything is on the same side of the bike cutting down the amount of wiring back and forth. I even have enough room there to mount the relay for the Stebel. Everything will be protected/hidden behind the fairings and I can wake the cagers up who are more interested in their cell phone conversations than driving safely. I will be sure to take pictures for any one interested but I would never have thought to separate the compressor. Good job there. smile.gif

Edit: Never mind. I took it to Lowes and spent the $2 on the hose that fit the best. wink.gif

• 5 months later...

I just squeezed my horn up there where the old horn was.... I also used the old bracket to fit the Stebel into place. Pretty tight but it is out of the way and you cannot really see it. Thanks for the write up.

stebel.th.jpg

Cheers, Whitepine

Archived