Lowering The Wife's Bike

Guest zenwhipper

Question

Guest zenwhipper

I have not posted here in a while - since I moved on from the VFR to a Vstrom and then to my 08 FJR. I just remember this place as being a wealth of knowledge and wanted to ask a question about lowering my wife's bike. She rides an '05 SV650. I have some Vortex lowering links and want to drop her bike an inch. My question is - will this upset the handling in such a way to make the bike twitchy or wonky? And should I also raise the forks in the triple tree and equal amount?

Thanks for the help mates.

Scott

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

We've lowered 3 bikes here, 600 CBR- almost 3 inches, on that one the front was lowered also, he claims it handles the same if not better. It may have something to do with being able to touch the ground when he needs too.

Next ones were Ninjas, 250, 2 inches, and a 500 3 inches, on these the forks cannot be adjusted, still no problems but they are both owned by mellow riders. On the 500 we will be cutting foam out of the seat so the back of the bike can be raised back up some more.

Don't forget to cut the stand down also. :rolleyes:

I had an '02, SV650S lowered 1".

No handling problems....bike was a BLAST in the curves. Kickstand was not cut and re-welded....never a problem there either.... :rolleyes:

I have not posted here in a while - since I moved on from the VFR to a Vstrom and then to my 08 FJR. I just remember this place as being a wealth of knowledge and wanted to ask a question about lowering my wife's bike. She rides an '05 SV650. I have some Vortex lowering links and want to drop her bike an inch. My question is - will this upset the handling in such a way to make the bike twitchy or wonky? And should I also raise the forks in the triple tree and equal amount?

Thanks for the help mates.

Scott

You should definately lower the front by the same or the bike will be more reluctant to turn. Possibly to a dangerous degree.

• Member Contributer

My wife's 03 SV was lowered by the previous owner (who did it incorrectly).

Rather than just dropping the front an inch, measure your front numbers (rake, trail, etc) before you intall the link and lower the front end (raise the forks) whatever it takes to match stock. Or, if your a geek, find the actual "book" numbers and set it correctly.

Archived