New Nolan N102 And Teknic Freeway Jacket.

timmythecop

Firstly the nolan.

ncom102white.jpg

It fits vey well (XL for my melon head) I have an Arai head and this one feels as comfy, if not more, than my old quantum. The extra sun visor is very cool and you get used to flipping both visors down quickly. The convience in the flip-up is super-duper for going to the store, smoking, traffic and kissing the wife goodby. The only complaint is that there seems to be a little air moving around inside with the vents closed. I can deal with this because of my neck warmer set up and the removeable wind curtain. Also, if I seal up really good in the cold, the anti fog inner visor WILL NOT FOG. Repeat WILL NOT FOG.

I just picked up a Tecknic Freeway jacket this morning after leaving my Kilimajaro jacket in the Netherlands for luggage space.

8b2f2232a96ac5602f412a4d4395f307_rough.jpg

I am 5'09" 200lbs and I bought a size 44. This jacket is very very well made and has so many features I actually had to read the instructions. The padding is by Knox and is top notch. It seems water proof but I havent been in the rain yet. It was a warm one today, so I rode with the liner out (It folds into itself and makes a fanny pack so you can take it with you) I opened the vents and it really flowed air on the highway.

Please ask me any and all questions because I wish I had a chance to talk to someone about these products before I laid down the money (Niether is cheap), but I took a chance and both seem well worth the cash.

• Member Contributer

I have had the Nolan N102 Comm since last summer (in Silver/Blue Tribal), overall it has been pretty decent. For cold weather riding it definately leaks a fair amount but not nearly as much as my HJC CL-Max. The anti-fog panel is pure genius but can be a PITA to install and the shield itself is not the easiest to remove. One this I have noticed is the padding is compacting just a bit so the fit is not as tight as when it was new, the padding is removable (and replaceable) if necessary.

I am hoping to get the Bluetooth module setup soon, hopefully it works as well as the rest of the helmet has been.

That jacket looks pretty sweet, I currently have a Rev'It which is really nice but it is a bit long (below waist) so I have been looking for a different style, I may have to take a look at this Teknic.

Thanks for the post.

oh, and I just noticed by looking at the picture I posted:

The jacket I picked up does not have the white reflective shapes on the left chest and sleeves. My colour is "Black Charcoal" so I guess there are at least three colour options (the other being high-viz yellow).

• Member Contributer
after leaving my Kilimajaro jacket in the Netherlands for luggage space.

To make room for what?

Cheese?

Bitterballen?

White Widow? tongue.gif

JHHolb clearly has not been to the Netherlands, seeing for himself how liberal we are.....

We donot have "The anti-fag panel"..... tongue.gif

after leaving my Kilimajaro jacket in the Netherlands for luggage space.

To make room for what?

Cheese?

Bitterballen?

White Widow? tongue.gif

Liverwurst, european shoes for my boys, crazy jeans that you apparently cannot get in the USA, Grolsh, Jenever, poffetjes, Dutch soccer socks (orange of course), a Hertog-Jan glass...... et al.

an update.....

You cannot wear this jacket with the liner in it at anything ober 65 degrees. I came home from work last night and it was about 70. I had just a tee shirt and the liner in the jacket. I arrived covered in sweat.

All the features seem well thought out and usable. It was supposed to rain today but it didnt, so we will have to wait on the wet report.

The Nolan is breaking in and getting super comfy. The opening of the flip-up part is second nature now.

• 2 months later...

after 4000 miles in this gear:

The Nolan has padding that will compact a little, so the XL is now like a half size too big. But when I tried on a large it was a no go so I guess I got the right size. I have grown to love this Nolan and would recommend it to anyone. Good lid.

The Teknic jacket has shown to be water proof up to heavy rain, but for real down pours, I put on full rain gear anyway. The hard armor stays where you will need it and it dissapears while you are riding. The vents actually work and that is cool. In fact, if you turn a certain way, the air pressure difference creates this vacuum effect inside the jacket and while it constricts, you get cooler. Its wierd, but almost like wearing a t-shirt in a pool, and trying to lift one side of the shirt, except it is a comfy cool feeling.

The jacket doest taker some breaking in, and the collar and cuffs are now good to go. the only complaint I have about this jacket is that some of the zippers cannot be closed with one hand. This is a minor complaint and in comparison to my Kilimanjaro, I would have to say that it is better. And I LOVED my Killimanjaro.

so, as of today:

Nolan n102 Good lid. a little loud 8 out of 10

Teknic Freeway jacket. Lotsa features 9 out of 10

• 2 years later...

Ok .......after 26000 miles the Jacket is still holding up with no defects. No frayed stitches, no busted zippers, no snaps that failed. In fact, this jacket is so good, I just bought a second one in Hi-Viz Yellow because it was on EBay for 40 bucks. Cant say enough about the quality of this jacket. Some say Teknic is on the cheep budjet side of the gear spectrum, but I have always had fantastic luck with thier products.

The N102 is nearing the end of its usable window. I am on my second visor and second pinloc insert and everything works quite well. The pads have compacted alot and I could get new ones but I'd rather buy a new helmet than re-pad this one. I still have my Bieffe and my AGV, but I want another flip-up. (I commute 30 miles each way EFD) I will see about a Nolan n103....was going to ask HS about his, but his new 103 only got to Tennesee before it me it's maker.

In short: At full price these two items were worth every penny, and I NEVER pay full price.

• Member Contributer

Ok .......after 26000 miles the Jacket is still holding up with no defects. No frayed stitches, no busted zippers, no snaps that failed. In fact, this jacket is so good, I just bought a second one in Hi-Viz Yellow because it was on EBay for 40 bucks.

You must live on eBay, man. I can't EVER find deals like that...

• Member Contributer

If you have a round Quantum head stick with the N102 - I tried the N 103 on continuously for about 30 mins and it was painful on the sides on the of my head.

The 103's internal shape is definitely narrower that the 102.

Another Modular that is round inside and has a softer more Arai Quantum-like lining is the AGV Miglia. Comes with an external flip-tint visor like the N102 for about $28.00 more for about $ 165.00 total.

Advice on the Nolan seems correct. I always wear a Large helmet but the N102 Medium fitted a little snugly so I bought it. It's now extremely comfortable, so, if you're planning on buying one (excellent helmet in my opinion), go for one size down.

Archived