Power Commander Maps

Guest Pete McCrary

Question

Guest Pete McCrary

I'm wanting to download a map from this website onto the PC III USB on my '02 VFR. It's been so long since I've done this type of thing I forgotten quite a bit.

1. Can I download a map into the PC III unit with it off the bike? There is no way for my USB cable to stretch from my computer to my bike.

2. Seems like there was something called a "Power Up" connector that was used before. I have no idea where mine is. Anyone know where one might be purchased?

3. If I were to take my VFR to an authorized Dyno Jet facility for a dyno run and tuning, do they adjust the Power Commander with a lap top plugged into the unit or do they sit there and fiddle with the buttons until they get the HP & A/F numbers where they want them?

I'm asking these questions because I'm doing some wiring clean-up on the bike and I need to know how accessible/removable I need to make my Power Commander for someone to tune it.

Pete

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
I'm wanting to download a map from this website onto the PC III USB on my '02 VFR. It's been so long since I've done this type of thing I forgotten quite a bit.

1. Can I download a map into the PC III unit with it off the bike? There is no way for my USB cable to stretch from my computer to my bike.

Yes with ref. to question #2, and a 9 volt battery.

2. Seems like there was something called a "Power Up" connector that was used before. I have no idea where mine is. Anyone know where one might be purchased?

Yes. D-oh! I have no idea, BUT,.... gallery_2922_1722_248812.jpg

PC III pwr

3. If I were to take my VFR to an authorized Dyno Jet facility for a dyno run and tuning, do they adjust the Power Commander with a lap top plugged into the unit or do they sit there and fiddle with the buttons until they get the HP & A/F numbers where they want them?

I don't know. I can tell you, if I took mine in for tuning, and they just started using the buttons, I'm outta there!

I'm asking these questions because I'm doing some wiring clean-up on the bike and I need to know how accessible/removable I need to make my Power Commander for someone to tune it.

Pete

Have you tried Cozye's map?

• Member Contributer

Pete,

Question 1: The PC III USB comes with a 9 volt battery cable which allows it to be powered on while off the bike and plugged in to your computer. Without that cable the PCIII has to be plugged in to the bike so it can be powered on. The unit needs power so your computer can see it on the USB port.

I have mine installed the way Power Commander describes in their install guide and it's easy enough to uninstall to take to the computer to download a new map.

Q 2: I'd guess PowerCommander.com

or Ebay.

Q 3: I'd be pissed if they just sat there and fiddled with the buttons :unsure: My power commander came with a software CD that seems to have some pretty powerfull setup software on it, so I'm assuming the factory authorized guys would use similar stuff.

I'll let you know about this process in the next couple of weeks. Ron Ayers took their sweet time sending me header pipe gaskets, but once I get them I'll put my bike back together and go get a new map made. I'll be running Motad no-cat headers, baffeld exhaust, and a BMC air filter, so I know I'm running different from stock.

I'm currently using a map I downloaded from here and it works great. Smoothed out the 'snatchy' throttle and gave me some power. (seat of the pants dyno)

• Member Contributer

Do you have the disc with the power commander software? If you do, and you have a friend with a laptop, have them install the software from the disc. then they can go to this website and download the Coyze map from the downloads section. Plug the laptop into the PCIII installed on your bike and open the software, then send the map to your PCIII. You will need the USB cble that comes with the unit.

I wrote DynoJet and they responded within an hour (impressive!). The Power Up unit is available seperately and cost only $12.00. I have already ordered it and it's on the way.

Thanks for the input guys and my thanks to Dusty at DynoJet for their quick response.

Have you tried Cozye's map?

I may try it. I was thinking I would try Tiny Mind's first. I've removed all of the emission's crap, installing '99 headers, BMC filter, all ready had Staintunes on it, and opened up the air box top some.

While we're on the subject.

The combination foam and rubber flap piece that jams down between the air box and the portion of the frame behind the steering stem: Is it's purpose to keep crap out from under the tank or to direct air to the radiators? Seems like removing that might be a good source of air flow for a more free breathing set-up.

• Member Contributer
I may try it. I was thinking I would try Tiny Mind's first. I've removed all of the emission's crap, installing '99 headers, BMC filter, all ready had Staintunes on it, and opened up the air box top some.

BY ALL MEANS, Tinyminds map. Cozye's will not work well, cat. removed.

While we're on the subject.

The combination foam and rubber flap piece that jams down between the air box and the portion of the frame behind the steering stem: Is it's purpose to keep crap out from under the tank or to direct air to the radiators? Assumed, yes. Seems like removing that might be a good source of air flow for a more free breathing set-up.

The bike is set up well. It has been determined that trying to get more of a forced air system, is futile. (From past years posts).

My office manager came up with the simplest, cleanest solution - why not just get you a longer USB cable?

DOH! Guess that's why I hired her.

• Member Contributer

LOL. That's what I did. 6', was under $10.00

• Member Contributer
Sometimes I forget the K.I.S.S. principle.

He!!. I don't even know what it is.

You want to rock n roll all night? :unsure:

(Keep It Super Simple)?????

• Member Contributer
My office manager came up with the simplest, cleanest solution - why not just get you a longer USB cable?

USB has a cable length limitation of 9ft or 16ft, depending on the device type. If you can get your bike within 9ft from a computer, you're in business.

• Member Contributer

You can also get a USB signal booster $40 that uses a couple adapters and sends the signal over a CAT5 cable (up to 150 ft). I have found this useful for all sorts of different applications and I don't even have a PowerCommander.

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7B-NQMUcIk7DSQdv...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Archived