Is An Rc 51 Fork Upgrade Worth It?

backonabike

• Member Contributer

Hi all, I have seen several mentions of an Rc 51 fork upgrade. Who has done it and what were the results? I may be asking the wrong question, but I just dont find my front end to be very compliant it bounces and skitters in the bumpy corners. I bought the bike (a 99) used and I just feel as I can't trust the front end. I am the 3rd owner and do not know if the fork has had heavier springs put in it or what. I weigh 160 lbs and do not ride super aggresive, and the rear end feels good. Thanks

Hi, that doesn't sound right. Your weight is pretty good for the stock springrates at moderate/quick riding pace.

If you have the user manual (and you have not already done this), check the suspension setting pages and reset your suspension to the 'stock' settings and try that. If it feels better you can fine-tune it from there, just remember to make small adjustments and record the settings and results before changing it again.

If still no joy, you'll have to get into your forks, they could have different springs, different weight of oil, too much oil, different spacers (which can be used to build-in some preload), or even a modified shim stack. All of which can be easily rectified to suit you.

• Member Contributer
Hi, that doesn't sound right. Your weight is pretty good for the stock springrates at moderate/quick riding pace.

If you have the user manual (and you have not already done this), check the suspension setting pages and reset your suspension to the 'stock' settings and try that. If it feels better you can fine-tune it from there, just remember to make small adjustments and record the settings and results before changing it again.

If still no joy, you'll have to get into your forks, they could have different springs, different weight of oil, too much oil, different spacers (which can be used to build-in some preload), or even a modified shim stack. All of which can be easily rectified to suit you.

Thanks I'll pull out the manual to try to set it bake to stock and seee where that puts me. Thanks Again.

• Member Contributer

For the record, RC51 (etc.) fork swaps are not REQUIRED on a VFR for any rational reason whatsoever. They are only REQUIRED, because some of us cannot leave well enough alone!

Ciao,

Archived