Help, Headlight Won't Light

Guest Trebor Snave

Guest Trebor Snave

I've sprayed electrical cleaner in the starter and worked it back and forth (freed it up quite a bit in the process) and most of the connectors inside the fairing. My multimeter reads 14 amps at the headlight, but it won't light up.

Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

I hate to sound stupid, but have you checked the bulbs? I had an issue like this with a taillight on a previous bike. I checked every damn wire and connector...and in the end, the bulb was busted but I couldn't easily tell. I had to test it with an ohm meter. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

14amps? or did you mean volts? and by starter, did you mean starter switch, or the actual starter motor? IF you have 12v at the light socket, then it's yer bulb. if not, then start working back. Do you have the electrical diag. for the bike? If you don't, let me know, I might be able to email that to you.

Volts. I'm an idjit.

starter switch.

I do have the electrical diagram, but I get cross-eyed looking at it. Electronics are not my forte'.

if you have full voltage at the headlight but it's not working, then either a bad bulb or faulty ground is likely the cause....

After doing a bit more digging this evening, and peering at the electrical diagram, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. It's the starter switch. When the starter button is out, there should be connectivity through the bl/r and gr/w wires; on my bike there isn't. So tomorrow I'll go down and get a toggle switch and wire those two through it. That way I'll still be able to turn the light on and off, it just won't be automatic. Just have to remember to turn it ON after starting...

I tried rigging mine with a relay and some other trickery, but eventually I broke down and bought a new handlebar switch from Service Honda. It wasn't terribly expensive ($40, I think), and if you want, I can dig the invoice for it out.

After doing a bit more digging this evening, and peering at the electrical diagram, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. It's the starter switch. When the starter button is out, there should be connectivity through the bl/r and gr/w wires; on my bike there isn't. So tomorrow I'll go down and get a toggle switch and wire those two through it. That way I'll still be able to turn the light on and off, it just won't be automatic. Just have to remember to turn it ON after starting...

Archived