Bmc Airfilter

Guest Pete McCrary

Question

Guest Pete McCrary

Just got my BMC air filter in. The only paperwork contained in the box is the warranty.

Which side is up/down for a BMC? The two sides of the filter are distinctly different but there is no this "This side up" or anything like that on the filter.

Bueller? Bueller?

7 answers to this question

• Forum CEO
AFAIK, most filters have the "tall" side up.

For example, this would be the up side on a typical filter:

MM041.jpg

And, this would be the down side:

BMC-187_04.jpg

HMM? That pattern looks like it would only fit one way?

Slammer to the rescue again:

Got a point about it fitting only one way - I hadn't checked that yet. It was 10:30 PM and the wife is screaming her and the dog are going to bed.

Seeing as how it fit down in the groove OK (both bottom and airbox cover, I guess I got it right the first time).

Thanks for helping me extract my head from my rectum. I doubt that this will be the last time I impose this anatomically difficult manuever on myself.

Thanks Bling and Slammer

• Member Contributer

another BMC related question. When using the BMC, are you to use the stock airbox gasket, or do you go without it like with a K/N? I had a K/N last and no longer have the gasket, but ive got a new BMC in the box ready to install...

The BMC has a lip on both the upper and lower faces that sit into the grooves in the upper and lower air box halves so no gasket is need. Really helps lock the filter in place horizontally too. Put the filter in, put the top of the air box on, press down on it slightly with your hand, and if the top and bottom meet neatly, you know the BMC lip is in the grooves.

FWIW, I went with the BMC because they have more flow area than the K&N's and are essentially the same price. Besides, the filter color matches the bike.

• Member Contributer

That's kind of why i went with trying the BMC as well. Like i said, I ran the K/N until now which was fine, but just felt like installing a fresh one for the new season, and had been reading more and more positive things about the BMC. It was a bit more difficult to find one, but I think I ended up getting it from Bike Bandit eventually after it came off of backorder late last fall. Looks to be a pretty decent product.

Slammer:

I double checked the filter tonight. You are correct - the air box is asymmetrical. I was lucky I dropped it in the correct way the first time. There is only one way it will fit in a 6th gen VFR.

Pete

Archived