New Shock

Guest rentwaytv

Question

Guest rentwaytv

I was looking for an aftermarket shock for my 83 vf because I'm a big guy and the stock spring and shock aren't cutting it. Works Performance will sell me a custom setup for $749. I've heard of Works Performance for years, but I have no personal experience with them, and know of no testimonials...Anybody out there a customer? Thanks, George.

19 answers to this question

Member Chev bought one and used it on his 700, he liked it a lot from what I remember. When his motor blew(not too long after installation), I bought it from him for my project. I hope to find out how it rides this summer!

It looks like a very well made piece, with remote reservoir and rebound and compression damping.

Sorry I don't have a better pic at the moment, but could take more if you want. Chev may have some better pics of it too.

2-6-08011.jpg

• Member Contributer
I was looking for an aftermarket shock for my 83 vf because I'm a big guy and the stock spring and shock aren't cutting it. Works Performance will sell me a custom setup for $749. I've heard of Works Performance for years, but I have no personal experience with them, and know of no testimonials...Anybody out there a customer? Thanks, George.

Hello:

My bike is an '89 VFR750FK (RC24). I replaced the shock with a Works Performance shock over two years ago. It is their Dura Sport model (with a remote reservoir). Go to my album / gallery and you can get a look at the reservoir, at least. I did not do the installation. My beloved mechanic, MammothMotorSports in Rohnert Park, CA (North of San Francisco by about an hour) did the suspension work.

I had the front end done at the same time (Race Tech - the gold valve kit, and new, heavier springs). The bike was absolutely transformed. Because I had the front end modified and the rear shock replaced at the same time, I can't say - can't compartmentalize - the improvement achieved by the Works shock, alone.

My mechanic races. I don't. After he did the work, he took it out for a test ride - there is a great twisty road not far from his shop - and he said something like, "Well, it ain't no track bike, but it is real, real close ... it doesn't get much better than that for a street bike of this age."

This is all to say, I am very, very happy with my Works shock.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer
It looks like a very well made piece, with remote reservoir and rebound and compression damping.

Hmmm.... I wonder if they'd have one for the 1000R? My original one is pretty much shot.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm.... I wonder if they'd have one for the 1000R? My original one is pretty much shot.

I see that they do. In fact, it looks like they make them for all of the old Interceptors.

I see that they do. In fact, it looks like they make them for all of the old Interceptors.

:thumbsup:

Wow...Thanks a lot, guys. If I had any reservations before, they've been obliterated!

Seb - That is way too great what you're doing with your 83. You are far more ambitious and talented than I am!

RC - Dammit! Now I'm thinking I GOTTA do the forks too. I mean, the thought definitely crossed my mind, but my budget squelched it. My budgetary concerns aren't too much in play now that you put cemented this idea...How much (if you don't mind me asking) did your Race Tech setup cost you?

Thanks again, guys. And I will let you know what I think after the mods.

I have one on my 99 and it completely transformed the bike.

I do alot of high speed canyon riding and sometimes even two up.

The bike is so completely stable and it rides very nice to.

By far the best mod to the bike.

I have dealt with the people at Works and they have fantastic customer service.

I will defenately buy again when this bike is replaced.

• Member Contributer

My '94 came with one already installed. I don't know how old it is or how it was set up. The previous owner of this bike probably weighs a lot more than I do, but it doesn't pogo too much. In fact it seems to work OK. But it squeaks. A lot. I haven't dug into it yet at all. Anyone got any advice for where I should begin?

• Member Contributer
Wow...Thanks a lot, guys. If I had any reservations before, they've been obliterated!

Seb - That is way too great what you're doing with your 83. You are far more ambitious and talented than I am!

RC - Dammit! Now I'm thinking I GOTTA do the forks too. I mean, the thought definitely crossed my mind, but my budget squelched it. My budgetary concerns aren't too much in play now that you put cemented this idea...How much (if you don't mind me asking) did your Race Tech setup cost you?

Thanks again, guys. And I will let you know what I think after the mods.

Hmmmm, I really don't remember. I had sooooo much work done at the same time, that I wasn't thinking about itemized modifications. I just brought a duffel bag full of cash up to my mechanic about every five days.

But I just checked-out the Race Tech web site: http://www.race-tech.com/ ... check it out. It looks like the emulator kit is about $170, and the springs about $110. In my case, it is the labor that'll get ya.

By the way, this is when my mechanic "realized" that my bike is a "gray market" bike. Both the '88 VFR750FJ (RC24), and (my bike) the '89 VFR750FK (RC24) have 41mm forks, as opposed to the 37mm on earlier models. (Neither of these two sister bikes was exported directly to the U.S.) So, when he first ordered the kit from Race Tech, it did not fit.

If you have the money at large, I'd highly recommend that you do the front end too. There are a couple of fork braces on the market that help the 37 mm forks. Here is one:

http://www.i-bike.com/store/prdBuy.cfm?prd=3357

And here is another: http://www.spec2.com/clips.html#hon

And, if you REALLY want to go nuts (like me) then you can have your wheels widened. I had the front wheel widened from 2.5 to 3.5 inches, and the rear widened from 3.5 to 5.5 at Kosman Specialties. However, my bike has the coveted 17" wheels (OEM - that was a change on the "FJ" and the "FK") front and rear. Here is Kosman: http://www.kosman.net/ ... click on "Catalog," then click on "Weld-up wheels." I was desperate to get a 180 on the rear, but we could only make room for a 170, and we had to go to a 520 chain to get clearance.

rctwentyfour

PS: I'm not certain if all this applies to your '83 - I don't know much about your bike.

The '83-'85 750/700's have 39mm forks. You can get good quality springs and service from Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs.

RaceTech does not make an Emulator for 39mm forks, but Jamie Daugherty makes an adapter to use a different size in them.

On the other hand, there are a few relatively inexpensive front ends that offer good improvement. Both the VF1000R and CBR600F2 forks are 41mm, which RaceTech does make a drop-in kit for(I can check my part # if you're interested).

I am using the VF1000R forks, but if I had the cash and could go back in time, I would use the 1994 F2 forks. Those forks(that year only!) used the speedometer drive as did the previous model year F2's, but also had the cartridge internals that would later be standard on the F3!

I know that the 1KR triples fit the 750/700, with a light mod to the steering stop. Not sure on the F2 clamps, though I am sure it wouldn't take too much to make them work.

• Member Contributer
The '83-'85 750/700's have 39mm forks. You can get good quality springs and service from Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs.

RaceTech does not make an Emulator for 39mm forks, but Jamie Daugherty makes an adapter to use a different size in them.

On the other hand, there are a few relatively inexpensive front ends that offer good improvement. Both the VF1000R and CBR600F2 forks are 41mm, which RaceTech does make a drop-in kit for(I can check my part # if you're interested).

I am using the VF1000R forks, but if I had the cash and could go back in time, I would use the 1994 F2 forks. Those forks(that year only!) used the speedometer drive as did the previous model year F2's, but also had the cartridge internals that would later be standard on the F3!

I know that the 1KR triples fit the 750/700, with a light mod to the steering stop. Not sure on the F2 clamps, though I am sure it wouldn't take too much to make them work.

I just feel compelled to comment on the obvious. I've been all over VFR discussion groups from time - here and there - this post by SEBSPEED is a prime example of the kind and quality of information, which is available on VFRD. This "place" is a valuable resource of information. Amazing!

I just feel compelled to comment on the obvious. I've been all over VFR discussion groups from time - here and there - this post by SEBSPEED is a prime example of the kind and quality of information, which is available on VFRD. This "place" is a valuable resource of information. Amazing!

ABSOLUTELY! I've never seen a site like VFRD before either, despite almost comprehensive reading of various European car boards (try owning an older European car if you think your Honda can be maddening sometimes!).

Allright. So now you guys really have me thinkiing...An upgrade for the stock 39mm forks sounds great, but I'm already wondering if the 41mm conversion would be even more sensible. Would they have significantly less flex? And listen, RC; I don't care how great your widened wheels are, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!!!! I already have enough financial ruin on the horizon without being tempted by more....

In any case, I'm not a very fast rider, I'm just a heavy rider, and I don't think my suspension would be sufficient even if it were brand new, so since it's pretty much sacked out, you can imagine how badly I want (need) to upgrade. So whaddya think? Worth it for the 41mm's even if I'm not a particulary fast rider? Thanks again.

P. S. - OK, RC. I really do want to know how the widened wheels worked out, but don't be too glowing in your praise. Please!

FWIW, I bought a works shock two years ago for my 3rd gen. It was $990 including a hydraulic preload adjuster. I have nothing but good things to say about the final product. The shock works unbelievably well, almost as good as my track bike...BUT.

Their customer service sucks. I ordered the shock and was told that I would get it in about a month. Cal them six weeks later and the response was "who are you? we have no record of your order." They made it really hard for me to ever consider doing business with them again, despite the excellence of their product. When it comes time to send this thing to them for service this year, I feel like I'm going to have to walk it into their shop to ensure it doesnt get "lost".

So caveat emptor.

Product :thumbsup:

People :pissed:

Verdict :unsure:

FWIW, I bought a works shock two years ago for my 3rd gen. It was $990 including a hydraulic preload adjuster. I have nothing but good things to say about the final product. The shock works unbelievably well, almost as good as my track bike...BUT.

Their customer service sucks. I ordered the shock and was told that I would get it in about a month. Cal them six weeks later and the response was "who are you? we have no record of your order." They made it really hard for me to ever consider doing business with them again, despite the excellence of their product. When it comes time to send this thing to them for service this year, I feel like I'm going to have to walk it into their shop to ensure it doesnt get "lost".

So caveat emptor.

Product :thumbsup:

People :pissed:

Verdict :goofy:

Cute kid, Whipping Boy. And thanks for the info. I hadn't considered having the shock serviced. What are the intervals for service and how much does it cost you?

• Member Contributer

ABSOLUTELY! I've never seen a site like VFRD before either, despite almost comprehensive reading of various European car boards (try owning an older European car if you think your Honda can be maddening sometimes!).

Allright. So now you guys really have me thinkiing...An upgrade for the stock 39mm forks sounds great, but I'm already wondering if the 41mm conversion would be even more sensible. Would they have significantly less flex? And listen, RC; I don't care how great your widened wheels are, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!!!! I already have enough financial ruin on the horizon without being tempted by more....

In any case, I'm not a very fast rider, I'm just a heavy rider, and I don't think my suspension would be sufficient even if it were brand new, so since it's pretty much sacked out, you can imagine how badly I want (need) to upgrade. So whaddya think? Worth it for the 41mm's even if I'm not a particulary fast rider? Thanks again.

P. S. - OK, RC. I really do want to know how the widened wheels worked out, but don't be too glowing in your praise. Please!

Again, I simply don't know all that much about your bike. As to getting your hands on the 41mm forks, even if they'd fit, you must remember that neither the '88 "FJ," nor the '89 "FK" were exported to the U.S. It all had to do with the "let's-save-Harley's-butt" tariff tax in force at the time. (I actually posted an entire article about that here on VFRD - somewhere.) So, I have absolutely no knowledge to pass on to you. This thread is getting a bit long. Didn't SEBSPEED post a front-end swap option or two for you?

I just took about twenty minutes to look on eBay UK and eBay Germany (where I often find parts), and, although someone is parting-out an '86 - and the forks are there - they'd be the 37mm; so, no help there. I'd stick with the other information that you got here, and forget about trying to fit "FJ" or "FK" forks on your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Honda-VFR-750-RC24-Tele...1QQcmdZViewItem

As to the wheel-widening job, okay, I won't tell you what a perfect job was done at Kosman, the perfect welds, how cool it is to be able to get real, modern-day rubber on the bike or how much I enjoy my Metzelers with a 120/55 on the front, and a 170/55 on the rear. All kidding aside, it was very expensive; $425 per wheel, then an additional $150 per wheel to get them powder coated again, not to mention the new rubber. The front end was comparatively simple - widen the wheel, spoon on the new tire, and that was it. The rear was a real challenge. We had to go to a 520 chain to get the 170 to just barely fit, and we had to move outboard the front sprocket to keep the chain in alignment. By the way, I went to a 15 / 45 set up (OEM is 16 / 45), which I think is perfect (but everyone has their own tastes in that regard). One advantage, however, is that everything else fits / remains the same - the brake calipers - the rotors - the speedo input, and the wheels match (as opposed to cannibalizing a front wheel / front end from another bike). So, none of that has to be re-engineered.

rctwentyfour

As to the wheel-widening job, okay, I won't tell you what a perfect job was done at Kosman, the perfect welds, how cool it is to be able to get real, modern-day rubber on the bike or how much I enjoy my Metzelers with a 120/55 on the front, and a 170/55 on the rear. All kidding aside, it was very expensive; $425 per wheel, then an additional $150 per wheel to get them powder coated again, not to mention the new rubber. The front end was comparatively simple - widen the wheel, spoon on the new tire, and that was it. The rear was a real challenge. We had to go to a 520 chain to get the 170 to just barely fit, and we had to move outboard the front sprocket to keep the chain in alignment. By the way, I went to a 15 / 45 set up (OEM is 16 / 45), which I think is perfect (but everyone has their own tastes in that regard). One advantage, however, is that everything else fits / remains the same - the brake calipers - the rotors - the speedo input, and the wheels match (as opposed to cannibalizing a front wheel / front end from another bike). So, none of that has to be re-engineered.

rctwentyfour

I got lucky and bought a pair of CBR600F2 wheels(17", 120/70 front - 160/70 rear) for cheap. I got the front wheel complete with good rotors, axle, speedo drive and cable; and the rear wheel complete with hub & sprocket, cush drive, and bad rear rotor for under $100 including shipping, on ebay.

Keep your eyes open, the deals are out there! :thumbsup:

Archived