F3 Forks On A 6th Gen?

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

I just bought an F3 for race bike and I was wondering if the rods and valves would work on my VFR. I'm going to look at it tomorrow in details, but I was wondering if someone has done it yet.

SG

• Member Contributer
I just bought an F3 for race bike and I was wondering if the rods and valves would work on my VFR. I'm going to look at it tomorrow in details, but I was wondering if someone has done it yet.

SG

Check the discussion forum over at Traxxion Dynamics - some CBR600 stuff can be mixed with VFR800 stuff, but can't remember whether it is the F3 or F4 internals that go with the 6th gen VFR.

HSlammer had a write up on putting CBR internals in his 5th gen forks...

The internals on both are 20mm, but the caps are different sizes. So you would have to see if the fork preload/rebound adjusters would screw into the VFR caps. They do swap direct in to fourth gen bikes though.

• Member Contributer
Check the discussion forum over at Traxxion Dynamics - some CBR600 stuff can be mixed with VFR800 stuff, but can't remember whether it is the F3 or F4 internals that go with the 6th gen VFR.

HSlammer had a write up on putting CBR internals in his 5th gen forks...

Thanks, I didn't know what to search for.

The internals on both are 20mm, but the caps are different sizes. So you would have to see if the fork preload/rebound adjusters would screw into the VFR caps. They do swap direct in to fourth gen bikes though.

Good, that's easy enough to check. I might just do that this morning. If working, guess what I'll be looking for on ebay. Then I can buy a "Frankeinviffer Tee Shirt".

:thumbsup:

I think in general F3 internals are used in 5th gen and F4/F4i are used in 6th gens, but I'm not sure why they would work other then the 41mm F3 fork caps won't fit the 43mm VFR tubes and I guess that explains why the first part on this sentence is correct! :offtopic:

Valves should work or at least their parts! :thumbsup:

I concur w/ Baileyrock, the entire forks(each) will swap from F3 to 5th gen VFR as they are 41mm externally. The F4/F4i will swap to the VTEC VFR(43mm -> 43mm).

I cannot be quoted on the swapping of internals, but calling Traxxion or Phil at Aftershocks would be a great starting point there.

May I ask why you are taking parts from the race bike for the VFR? If it's set up with Gold Valves and such, leave it for the track and buy new/used stuff for the VFR!

ps - the F3 forks will fit in your old VF with a set of VF1000R triple clamps! :offtopic: (stock VF750F forks are 39mm, 1kR forks are 41mm) You will, however, lose the speedo drive from the wheel when doing so. The 1994 CBR600F2 was the last year of wheel-driven speedos on the CBRs, but they had all the internals of the F3(that year only). :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
May I ask why you are taking parts from the race bike for the VFR? If it's set up with Gold Valves and such, leave it for the track and buy new/used stuff for the VFR!

I never wanted to swap the parts, just thought of it when I saw the click at the top and then :offtopic: Why not try to see if it works, and if it does, then ebay baby.

Look for a set of F4i forks, you've already delinked your brakes, so that's out of the way. I have a spare/extra set of F4i calipers and stainless Galfer brake lines I can set you up with. :offtopic:

Archived