Electrical Charging Demons

Guest dvfr750f

Guest dvfr750f

I have 96 VFR750F and she has been my baby since OCt 97. During this time I have replaced no less thatn 5 RR, and 2 stators. Currently I have an electrix stator and the updated oem RR.

The last great electrical mystery to happened still has me perplexed. I need serious help here!

The last time the charging system failed the wire connector to the mechanical starter(?) by the battery melted thru. I replced the component and direct wired each wire from the harness(as they dont sell the connector) to the starter component.

The bike runs, and when you rev it voltage goes up. Not above 14v though and it only does that b/n 2000-3000 rpm. At idle the bike is not maintaining charge. The voltage is around the mid 12v range and falls as the idle continues.

Short of replaceing the entire wire harness I am at a loss! PLEASE HELP! I love my bike and am currently afraid to ride her far! sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Most vehicles do not charge at idle. As long as you get a charge above 1500 RPM you should be OK...but with your track history of 5 stators I would worry...Biggest problem on the 96 is that silly connector molded into the R/R. You could retrofit a newer R/R onto the bike...some like the Yamaha R1 R/R, and others the 98-99 4 wire R/R(plus 3 stator wires). Heat is a killer on the 96 and older...many install computer fans to help cool them.

I have 96 VFR750F and she has been my baby since OCt 97. During this time I have replaced no less thatn 5 RR, and 2 stators. Currently I have an electrix stator and the updated oem RR.

The last great electrical mystery to happened still has me perplexed. I need serious help here!

The last time the charging system failed the wire connector to the mechanical starter(?) by the battery melted thru. I replced the component and direct wired each wire from the harness(as they dont sell the connector) to the starter component.

The bike runs, and when you rev it voltage goes up. Not above 14v though and it only does that b/n 2000-3000 rpm. At idle the bike is not maintaining charge. The voltage is around the mid 12v range and falls as the idle continues.

Short of replaceing the entire wire harness I am at a loss! PLEASE HELP! I love my bike and am currently afraid to ride her far! sad.gif

I'd say you have a charging issue, my last 2 bikes have all had 14 volt at the battery at idle unless something was wrong. The charging wire from the rr to the battery can loose significant voltage , so I'd make sure the continuity is pure there ZERO OHMS

Archived