Demon Mirrors Be Gone!

Guest Wesley J

Guest Wesley J

Well, the wonders of ebay never cease to amaze me....

I just bought a set of these and they fit perfectly.

http://tinyurl.com/36sxm8

LTS020-On.jpg

They're wired into the existing turn signals. I dislike the look of fairing mounted mirrors. IMHO even on the nicest bikes they look like an after thought required by law. Removing them makes the front of the bike apear to be lowered and look much more agressive. Essentially I didnt feel like modifying the bodywork and mirror support structure to remove them so the next best option was placing a stealthy turn signal in their place. A nice side effect is a bit of increased vissability.

The main reason I went this way is that I like bar end mirrors SO much better than regular mirrors. Cheapy bar end mirros suck but these are very well built and are convex so you get a much larger field of view than a standard mirror. I'll never ride with regular mirrors again. Another cool thing with that you can adjust them without even moving your hands from the bars. Very nice for the odd bit of slabbing it.

Well, got the VFR painted and mostly re-assembled. So, here's a shot of the turn signals that replaced the mirrors. More pics to come, this is just what I have access to here at work.

VFR%20Project%20047%20[1024x768].jpg

VFR%20Project%20038%20[1024x768].jpg

VFR%20Project%20042%20[1024x768].jpg

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to a better shot of the bar-end mirrors, also. I like your option for taking care of the mirror mounting points, and the idea of a secondary running/signal light.

I've long considered bar-end mirrors, but have never tried them personally. Tell us about what makes a good bar-end mirror and what you would recommend for someone wanting to try them on a VFR.

As my mother would say:

"'to each is own' said the old lady as she kissed her cow"

I personally think Bar End mirrors are about the ugliest thing there is...and convex mirrors mean depth perception is off.

• Member Contributer
I personally think Bar End mirrors are about the ugliest thing there is...and convex mirrors mean depth perception is off.

I think it depends on the bike. On my Ducati Monster they looked a million times better than the stock mirrors.

I think it depends on the bike. On my Ducati Monster they looked a million times better than the stock mirrors.

I agree - bar end mirrors depend on the the particular bike. IMO many naked sportbikes look better with bar end mirrors than the long stalk and circular or rectangular slab mirrors. Last year I rode with a guy who had a very sharp orange Kawi Z1000 with bar end mirrors that looked totally sweet.

Don't forget there are different styles of bar end mirrors - different shapes and made of different materials.

I may not be as crazy about bar enders on a faired bike, but 'm looking forward to seeing how the whole package looks on your VFR, Wesley. And to seeing how those lights look when they're lit up!

• Member Contributer
I personally think Bar End mirrors are about the ugliest thing there is...
+1.gif
and convex mirrors mean depth perception is off.

The price you have to pay for the wider angle of view. It takes some practice to judge the distance to an object in a convex mirror, but it's still better than not seeing the object at all.