Ignition Coil Question Please Help Iwant To Ride

Guest vfr2102

Guest vfr2102

i have a 1987 vfr 750 it doesn't want to start, in mesiing with the fuel pump it started running i rode a little (20 min) that day and it hasn't started since, i know it's getting fuel. but when i tested voltage to the spark plug i dont get quite 2 volts. how many volts approx should i get? and i think either one of my coils is bad or possibly: the guy who owned it before me put a ungo alarm on it which is gone now but could have messed up a ground maybe. any advice is much appreciated thank

ride on

-jim

how (where) are you measuriing the voltage to the spark plug? i am pretty sure the spark is at 40k or more volts! probably the best way to check your coil is to check input and output resistance (unplugged of course) as the coil is nothing but a transformer. sorry, i dont know what those resistance values should be, but if they aren't the same on both coils or if you have a short, you definitely have a problem.

If you have a bad coil you will have infinite resistance (no connection) between the 2 low voltage terminals.

You can also check between the sparkplug wire and ground for some continuity.

In practice, coils very seldom go bad, so your problem may be elsewhere.....

If you have a bad coil you will have infinite resistance (no connection) between the 2 low voltage terminals.

You can also check between the sparkplug wire and ground for some continuity.

In practice, coils very seldom go bad, so your problem may be elsewhere.....

there's about 12 v going up to the coil, 1.22v constant to the plug when key is on but is not being started and 1.33 (a little bit more) when i hit the start button. so u think just trace wires and try to find a bad one?

that sounds about right.....check for sparks on all wires while cranking...

the coils are all the same, so interchangeable, so testing is just switching them around.......

Archived