Autocom Location?

Guest Wesley J

Guest Wesley J

Hi All,

I've just moved up to an '02 VFR and am soon going to start installation of my Autocom unit. When I installed it on my other bike ('07 SV-650) I ended up with a lot of electrical noise when I was above 6000 rpm. So, I was wondering where any of you have installed it successfully on the VFR with no noise.

I'd prefer to install it behind the instrument cluster as I have my GPS/MP3 and Radar to hook into it too. This would make for much shorter cords and simplify things.

Thanks in advance,

Wes

• Member Contributer

Mine (active seven smart) is under the seat. I have it hooked up to mt GPS, XM radio, and Bike to Bike transceiver. The audio runs into my helmet via the headset. The bluetooth adapter is the next thing I'll be adding.

Mine is under the seat as well. The only noise I had was from the walkman I used several years ago when I first hooked it up. I was powering it from the bike and it introduced the noise. I bought a filter from Autocom that went in-line from the output of the walkman to the input of the Autocom that fixed it. If you are using a battery operated music source, I don't think you will have the problem.

• Member Contributer

Mine rests comfortably inside my tank bag. Makes it easy to connect gadgets. It's a Super Pro, powered via a Powerlet socket. No noise or interference, although it sometimes gets difficult to mix more than two accessories simultaneously. Typically it's only radar and music, but throwing two-way radios in there jumbles things a bit.

When you guys mount it under your seat, how to you easily connect your junk? For me, that's the main reason for not going that route.

Mine rests comfortably inside my tank bag. Makes it easy to connect gadgets. It's a Super Pro, powered via a Powerlet socket. No noise or interference, although it sometimes gets difficult to mix more than two accessories simultaneously. Typically it's only radar and music, but throwing two-way radios in there jumbles things a bit.

When you guys mount it under your seat, how to you easily connect your junk? For me, that's the main reason for not going that route.

I used to carry everything in my tank bag like you. One hook-up for power and I was rolling. The radar detector would sit in the top of the tank bag, which really didn't work well. This spring I bought a Zumo 550 (GPS and my MP3 player) which made things more difficult and finally decided to move the Autocom to bike mount instead of tank bag. Now I have the radar detector to hook up (one wire) and put the Zumo in the cradle (constantly wired).

As far as cell phone, the Zumo does bluetooth with it, but doesn't work perfectly with the Autocom. I really haven't even worried about it or messed with it much. I have an FRS radio to hook up to the Autocom as well, but never use it either. I'm not really sure how I would hook that up if I had to use it. It might fit under the seat if I could get all of the settings correct.

• Member Contributer

I used extender cables from the autocom to the front with a 90 degree adaptor for a 3.5mm female jack that can be used for music, gps, radar. This allows "decoupling" using a male-to-male cable.

tn_gallery_10682_2716_6845.jpg

For the headset, I used the coiled autocom patch cable connected to the autocom headset connection under the seat, then a cable holder off a Yamaha Venture (a few bucks from the Yamaha dealer).

tn_gallery_10682_2716_6687.jpg

Beware if you use the Zumo with Bluetooth, it uses an un-conventional 4 conductor 3.5 mm cable for extension.

Sorry, just viewed this and realized how small and dark the pix are...

Archived