Hid: Lo & Hi, Just Lo, Just Hi

Ranger77

Question

• Member Contributer

First. Dont worry about my other post I figured out the wiring. The kit I bought has just one setting so I have it wired in my Lo beams.

I'll take her for a ride late tonight and see how the HID's are. They have reflector plates at the bottom so when looking at the headlights, just the top half are light. LOL Might take the reflector plates off but here's the question.

If I dont like how the light output is, should I take it back and find a Hi/Lo kit. I know my Lo lights will brighter and I know you dont use Hi's often, but I do use them. I dont want to remove the plates cuase I'm sure I wont be able to take them back then. LOL

The search feature here isnt good so I've gone thru pages and pages. Most HID post dont list where they bought theirs or the pics arent showing anymore. Please list (w/ link) where you bought yours and if its a Hi/Lo kit.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Not 100% sure what your asking but here is my take on the hids for the VFR.

Install them in your low beams because you want them on all the time as there the best light, the hids I have but not installed yet just replace bulbs so standard reflector stays. Yes they will tend to be brighter than your high beam, but the high beam is a completely different spread of light so don't see any problem there unless you also want to fit hids there as well.

AUS market we have to have our lights come on when ignition on (think same everywhere now) which isn't great at start up for the hids because turn ignition on they start up & then go off when you start bike & then on again which isn't the best for the way they work charging etc. I would say there life would be decreased with this way of using them. I would be installing a aux cut off switch so when ignition on they don't come on until I want them too but this is classed illegal here not that the powers to be would ever know. The legal work around for this would be to add a relay that only lets hids start when motor running.

I dont want to remove the plates cuase I'm sure I wont be able to take them back then. LOL

Do not remove the reflector plates as you will be run over by oncomming traffic blinded by your HID's. Get a pair of Bi-HID's not the Halogen Hi/HID low. US VFRs do not have a pass switch, correct?

Since you have a 5th gen running H4 bulbs, you cannot remove the reflector. That is the only piece that make the HID act like a standard H4 bulb. Even if you are able to get a dual element HID bulb, it will not fully utilize the housing's reflector. I have been running HID's in my bike for over five years now.

The only way you will get any sort of high beam is to use a separate set of lamps, like this:

hid_3.jpg

If you wanted to light up only one side for low and the other high, you can do that. You will need to wire it to where the low stays on all the time, while the high gets cycled with the control switch. You will also need to make a spacer to move the bulb back about 6mm to put the gas capsule at the correct location as the high beam filament of an H4. At this point, you have to ask yourself, which direction do you want to go?

Archived