Ear Bug Virgin

spud786

• Member Contributer
So I poped by the CompUSA that is closing and picked up a set of Bose, in ear headphones.

I am not a big fan of Bose. (Boy Our Stuff is Exspensive) But these sound pretty good. A bit more bottom end than the Shure. (Still cant find them) They also are pretty comfy. I hope thay work with the helmet and onthe Bicycle. The Bose units was $79 about 20% off.

I'd check that price with other places. With CompUSA closing, their prices are a lot more expensive. Last time i went there, they tried charging me $200 for a set of $120 speakers. :rolleyes: . Everything else seemed to be priced likewise (MSRP + 40% - 20%)

i've never been a fan of earbuds. try these instead:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Helmet...-p-1-c-484.html

much more comfortable.

Those do nothing to block out wind noise and protect your hearing though. They actually do more damage than good because you are trying to cover up the wind noise with more noise.

Noise levels are almost 110 db at speed on a bike in a helmet. According to OSHA, at that rate, hearing damage starts after 30 minutes of exposure in a 24 hr period. Personally, I like to ride more than 30 minutes a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I use the Sony MDR-EX51LP ear phones.

I remember a while back there was a site that sold mono ear buds that was similar to the Sony's with the silicone ear piece. Anybody know where I could order those?

I took my drivers to our local race track ear plug guys and had them mold a set for me with the drivers in 'em.

But, most of the time, I just use the ear plug only ones. I haven't gotten a good rig to hold my SkyFi yet.

Depending on which helmet I am wearing, I can't get the helmet on without knocking buds out of my ears. I usually tape my plugs in before racing or track sessions. Sometimes when I'm touring.

• Member Contributer
Sound quality is good, of course it is subjective as well. I've been told by many that they sound better than Shure's or Bose. I have generic sets in both the single transducer and dual transducer (with crossover) for people to try before the buy. I'm a big believer of knowing what I am going to get for my money and the best way for that to happen is to allow people to listen. I encourage them to bring their MP3 player with their current headset for comparison. Listen to their music and be able to compare back to back. I've had people walk away not wanting to spend the money, but I've never had anyone say theirs sounded better than mine.

I am an independent provider of the product. Big Ear was started by 2 brothers that ride Busa's. They wanted something to protect their hearing and still be able to hear music. Truly made for motorcyclists by motorcyclists. We offer a range of products starting at $170 single transducers up to a triple transducer with 2 crossovers in it (for professional grade mixing equipment - live music). The motorcycle version runs $299.

If you want to spend $750, the dual transducer with a crossover is like having the band playing in your head. The sound is unbelievable for a set of in-ear speakers. They are professional grade musicians plugs, so they sound really good. I've sold 4 or 5 sets of those since September. People try the generic set and can't believe the sound quality. Normally I tell them not even to bother listening to them if they don't want to spend $750.

Columbia, SC looks to be about 2 3/4 hours away from me here in Athens. Maybe we should just take a bike ride some day and meet. You can try the generic ones out for yourself??

Sorry about not responding, things have been a little hectic the past few weeks...like nobody else has that problem! :huh:

To be honest, I got busy and kinda lost track of this thread. I am definitely interested in some sort of "solution" that will provide good hearing protection and allow me to listen to music (probably not up for the $750 model). I always wear earplugs, so far I have never done music while riding, and I got a Zumo for Christmas (fix for previous statement). Meeting somewhere would be good with me if we can work out a time & place. I'd rather give my money to somebody I have some sort of connection to instead of a "complete stranger." I'm heading to Pigeon Forge (via cage) this coming weekend, so I guess it'll have to be after that (unless you are randomly going there also).

Sorry about not responding, things have been a little hectic the past few weeks...like nobody else has that problem! :huh:

To be honest, I got busy and kinda lost track of this thread. I am definitely interested in some sort of "solution" that will provide good hearing protection and allow me to listen to music (probably not up for the $750 model). I always wear earplugs, so far I have never done music while riding, and I got a Zumo for Christmas (fix for previous statement). Meeting somewhere would be good with me if we can work out a time & place. I'd rather give my money to somebody I have some sort of connection to instead of a "complete stranger." I'm heading to Pigeon Forge (via cage) this coming weekend, so I guess it'll have to be after that (unless you are randomly going there also).

No problem. I'm actually having sugery on my knee Wednesday this week for a torn meniscus, so I probably won't be allowed to ride for at least a couple of weeks. Doc says 4-6, but I doubt I can stay off that long.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The wife & I met up with Ken (Wera803) yesterday about the Big Ear products. He seems like a good guy, presented his info/products, and wasn't the least bit pushy. He rode over 1 hour each way to meet up with us with the threat of rain (actually rode home in rain from what I understand, we wussed out and took the cage) on a Saturday. It was a good experience and if you are interested in custom plugs and wind up in or near the GA area I'd recommend trying to meet up with him. Ken gets an A+ review! :beer:

We both wound up ordering custom ear plugs (noise protection only) and the custom stereo ear plugs (model BE-1C). The demo models he had sounded good (but we weren't ready to step up to the $750 models, which did sound better I will add). We took the ear plugs home and the stereo ear plugs will be shipped to us in approx. 6-8 weeks. After I've had them a while I'll post up a review of the products. smile.gif

Archived