Is This A Stock 97 Vfr Rear Shock ?

TX _VFR

I am new to the VFR's (just bought my 97 last weekend) and had a question for you more knowledgeable VFR owners.

There is a Thread here called "Suspension Primer For Dummies" : Suspension Primer For Dummies

In the above thread, on the first page there is a pic posted by "Dutchy" listed as an OEM 1997 rear shock :

Dutchy's Pic Of A 1997 Rear Shock

Well my rear shock looks nothing like the pic posted by "Dutchy". His pic shows the cylinder inside the spring being smooth. My rear shock has a threaded cylinder inside the spring. Here are some pics of my rear shock :

1997VFR023.jpg

1997VFR022.jpg

1997VFR020.jpg

If this is not the stock rear shock, anybody know what kind it is ?

TIA

Guest vfrrider

Yours says Progressive Suspension on it, so I would tend to believe it. It is definitely aftermarket.

LOOKS like it MAY have an external reservior, or is the just a nitrogen fill valve on top?

So, you already have a aftermarket shock. Get it rebuilt if not up to your expectations.

Larry

VFRrider

Yours says Progressive Suspension on it, so I would tend to believe it. It is definitely aftermarket.

LOOKS like it MAY have an external reservior, or is the just a nitrogen fill valve on top?

So, you already have a aftermarket shock. Get it rebuilt if not up to your expectations.

Larry

VFRrider

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. This was this listing by the seller I bought the bike from :

19,400 original miles only. I have made many upgrades during the past year including:

Valve check at 16,600 miles.

New regulator/ rectifyer.

New fluids (all of them).

New spark plugs.

New X-ring chain.

New front and back sprockets.

New rear shock.

New HRC performance fork springs (stiffer than original ones).

New braided brake lines.

Wiley performance exhaust.

Corbin seat.

Zero Gravity smoked touring screen.

K&N filter.

Tank bra.

Always garaged.

Continental Attack tires (with about 1,500 miles in them).

I also have the original seat and screen.

And the solo seat convertion.

I just happened to be sitting here at work looking through all the different Forums here when I can across that "Suspension For Dummies" Thread and noticed my rear shock was not the same as in the Thread pic.

Thanks again for the help

• Member Contributer

definately doesnot look stock (which is not a bad thing outright, depends on how good bad the one is you have).

look/shine a torch in the litte round hole above the oval one to see if your shock also has the adjustability the oem has

HPIM4113.jpg

Fwiw, a collegue of mine has his oem one leak (11 years old 4th gen with a mere 10k miles). Dunno how big his ol lady is though.....

Am intrigued what the bolt on the top is for... It cannot be as log as the adjuster on the oem, because the battery(box) would be in the way..

definately doesnot look stock (which is not a bad thing outright, depends on how good bad the one is you have).

Fwiw, a collegue of mine has his oem one leak (11 years old 4th gen with a mere 10k miles). Dunno how big his ol lady is though.....

Am intrigued what the bolt on the top is for... It cannot be as log as the adjuster on the oem, because the battery(box) would be in the way..

Dutchy - That bolt on top is going to be the nitrogen fill valve.

Thanks for everyone's help, I have figured out what shock it is. Larry was right, it is a Progressive 420 series shock (Part # 420-1036) :

420 Series Single Shocks

Completely re-buildable

420 Series high-performance shocks eliminate the need for a remote reservoir by utilizing an internal nitrogen bladder

Five-position externally adjustable rebound damping allows you to dial in the ride you want

Speed-sensitive, multi-stage damping gives consistent ride over varying road surfaces

Shock body is machined from aircraft-quality aluminum

Archived