Steering Bearings

Bruckner

Honda Factory race bikes and many private racers use balls because of best possible front end FEEL and sensitivity. Of course, they are changed out frequently.

MY '73 CB 750 has no problems with its ancient points and condenser, and i can carry a complete set of ignition system spares on the bike for about $25, how about you??gallery_3647_3444_94240.jpg

Right.jpg

• Member Contributer

I didnt make it up to the dealer last night, but will be tonight for sure, as they offered to show me the notchiness in the steering. They also did offer to save my old bearings, as i will be curious to look at them.

I didnt have much of the symptoms that some have listed as far as how the bike will act with bad bearings. Absolutely no head shake or wobbling, and it SEEMED to ride/track fairly straight. But, it could be one of those things where they may have been bad for so long that I didnt know the difference. The only reason i had them look at them was because since i bought the bike three years ago, ive noticed a front end clunk when hitting certain types of severe bumps, like going into driveways, etc. The only other thing i noticed just last fall was how the bike seemed to have a tendency to not be as stable one day when i was out on a few curvey roads; it seemed to want to wander just a bit more than i was used to. but, the pavement was poor, it was fairly cold, and there was still some leftover water left in spots on the road as it had just rained a few hours before. So, i concluded that maybe the wandering was maybe from those conditions. But, we'll see if i notice a difference now with the new bearings, and new tires too.

The dealer had mentioned that more frequent checking and adjustment may have resulted in longer bearing life. This makes sense I guess.

Points and condensers aside, what is the consensus on how long the OEM bearings will last on the bike (VTEC models)?

I experienced the dreaded 'wobble' when letting go of the handle bars (IIRC ~30-90km/hr) and it was completely cured when I had the steering head bearing TIGHTENED at around 25,000km. I had it retightened around 38,000km. I noticed an improvement in the steering feel each time. My test for whether to tighten is rolling the bike backward and stopping with front brake, listening/feeling for the slight clunk or step of free play. I noticed it both time before tightening the bearing, and it went away after.

It makes sense that eventually the bearings will be worn, just would be nice to know when to expect to change them.

Brian

• Member Contributer

That was gonna be my next question actually, even though i may ask the dealer the same thing later on. I do plan on keeping up with adjusments from now on too, lol.

Honda Factory race bikes and many private racers use balls because of best possible front end FEEL and sensitivity. Of course, they are changed out frequently.

MY '73 CB 750 has no problems with its ancient points and condenser, and i can carry a complete set of ignition system spares on the bike for about $25, how about you??gallery_3647_3444_94240.jpg

Right.jpg

Hold onto to that thing. That is a classic. Being a '73, that should make it a K1 or a K2? I'd give me right gonad for good condition K0 model.

• Member Contributer

Well, went and visiited the dealer last night to take them up on their offer of showing me how the steering bearings were. Through the entire steering travel, there is a bit of resistance that can be felt, but most importantly is that it looks to be the source of my intermittent clunking that ive had since i got the bike, when going over certain types of bumps. When jouncing the front end with the brake on, you can duplicate the clunk quite easily, and can feel it right in the steering stem. I'm looking forward to hopefully a better feeling bike when they're done with it.

Archived