Fi Light And "clicking"

vfrqqq

• Member Contributer

So I just arrived on campus for the first day of school as a grad student and JUST as I'm coasting into my parking spot the engine cuts out and FI light is continuously blinking. I can also hear a clicking sound as if there is a relay that is trying to kick in, but isn't. I'm curious if anyone has any feedback since I was hoping I would be able to ride her back home as I'm about 20 miles away and don't want to fork out the dough for a tow truck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I would check:

30 amp fuse/holder/wiring...located on the right side of the battery(toward the rear of the bike)

Ground wire (green with white stripe I believe) in blue connector under LH fairing(might be harder while at school, tools required)

• Member Contributer
I would check:

30 amp fuse/holder/wiring...located on the right side of the battery(toward the rear of the bike)

Ground wire (green with white stripe I believe) in blue connector under LH fairing(might be harder while at school, tools required)

Yeah, I was hoping not to have to get to the fuse box, but maybe I can scrounge a couple allen keys somewhere. I'll check the 30A under the seat. Thanks

Where's the clicking coming from, if it's the dash area it's the Blue connector ground issue which you could fix on the spot to get you going and make it a permanent at your first chance! :thumbsup:

see "vtec elec. problems" post of KKen "fix it" post.

• Member Contributer

:joystick: So it turns out that after about 15k miles my 30A fuse finally melted to the point where it busted. The first time this happened was the with the OEM and then I replaced that with a fuse holder from the auto store. I was able to solve the problem with the help of a friend and will be able to get home of my own power. I guess the next thing to do is to hunt down my bad ground. I've searched on this a few times in the past so I think the blue wire in the main harness is probably the first thing to check. Any other obvious things. I'll do a search anyway.

I am still amazed at the timing that these things choose to fail. I did a 5600 mile trip in April/May, have riden on and off since then and then at the end of my ride to campus on the first day school it finally bits the dust AS I AM COASTING INTO MY PARKING SPOT!!! I think I have a guardian angle or something watching over me. It could've gone when I was on an on-ramp, switching lanes. I consider myself VERY lucky. I only wish this kind of luck to all of you.

Thanks for your inputs. :thumbsup:

Buy a heavier duty fuse holder when you replace it...the automotive ones are generally only using 14 gauge wire, 12 if you are lucky. If you are handy, you should also do the upgraded charging wires mod, this reduces/removes the 30 amp fuse problem.

Archived