She Just Died

Guest flashthebiker

Guest flashthebiker

Rode home tonight as usual, riding along a 50 kmh street, turned left, the bike started to cough and fart, pulled in the clutch and she just died. Dropped into neutral and re-started with no problem while still coasting. Almost home so rode the minute or so with no further problems.

Had filled up 30 km earlier, was drizzling slightly, but not enough to get anything to be wet in the engine... ???

Never done it before, infact usually runs as sweet as a nut.

Riding again Thursday, so will see if anything happens again...

Had the bike about 7 weeks, don't know service history so not aware of when the plugs / air filter were last changed. Had the filter out and looked clean. Fuel filter perhaps?? Hope it's not the infamous electrical gremlins that haunt early VTEC's.

Any ideas??

• Member Contributer

Loose wire somewhere? Doesn't sound like an r/r problem (yet) since it restarted so easily and you made it home.

Having just filled up, I would suspect the fuel.

As the bike is new to you, and a 2002 model, I would look at the 30 amp fuse housing, and check the charging voltage to be sure it is in the 14-14.5 range.

I had the exact same symptoms on my '06 about 3 weeks ago.....I believe my issue was bad gas....I ran cleaner through and a couple tanks since then and she runs fine now.... :beer:

• Member Contributer
Having just filled up, I would suspect the fuel.

Of course this would be the obvious answer :goofy: Just ignore me!

Thanks All. I have as a matter of course checked the 30A fuse and wiring. All looks OK, but I will do the voltage check over the weekend.

I think fuel is the likely culprit. Hopefully it will clear up OK, and not catch me out while I'm trying to accelerate out of trouble... :o

Archived