13vac From New Stator, W/ New R/r And New Battery

Guest phlatlander

Guest phlatlander

I just finished installed the new rick's r/r and stator that I received today. Got all done and thought just for kicks, since everything is new it should work right, I'd measure the vac coming from the stator under load. Well it was only around 13vac. So i felt the r/r, man after only a minute maybe 1.5 mins of running that thing was so hot in the middle of the r/r I couldn't hold my hand on it. I figure, it's 85 degrees in my garage so I'll go out and ride around town, nice 5-7 mile loop at 35mph. So when I get back I pull the seat and the top of the r/r is so hot I can't hold my hand on it, can hardly even touch it its so hot. Next I loosen the left rear cowl and measure the vac from the stator under load since my test ride had the engine temp up to 180degrees the bike is in normal operating range. Measure the stator voltage under load 13vac again, since the bike is now warm I rev it up to 5k with brights on and it never went above 13.8 volts and dropped in voltage around 3k rpm. One last thing, I measured the leakage current and it was .02mA. No continuity between the stator wires and ground. I'm at a loss?

It just so happens that this is the same stator voltage as I had with my old stator, which looked like the pics of the ones Chris and busylittleshop posted up.

Why would a new stator, new r/r and new battery, all installed today, still only yield 13vac from the stator? What else could be wrong? Yes the battery had 12.85vdc before I started the bike for the first time so it was charged properly. The battery had 12.95vdc when i got back from my 7 mile ride.

Please Help!!!! What could be causing my electrical problems?

I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Feel free to contact me via pm, personal email or phone (i'll provide that if you pm me).

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Bryan

• Member Contributer

have you read through the posts in the electrical section in the maintenance forum. one of the basic tests is measuring the AC output of the stator, where the three wires plug into the r/r. this is AC current and should read around 60 voltsAC at 5k rpm. the three wires are checked one to the other, three times NOT TO GROUND.

the electical system is designed to burn off extra power through the finned area of the r/r. ITS SUPPOSED TO GET HOT!

please read some of the other posts..........its ALL there!

Yup, read those many times in the last couple weeks as I have been diagnoising, what I thought was the problem.

Yes, I checked the 3p connector for ac voltage between the 3 yellow wires and got 13vac at idle and 5k rpm with the bike at normal operating temp.

My understanding from reading the "Stator" post that chris2992 started, I should be getting 19-20vac at idle and around 60vac at 5k with the r/r connected to the stator, and the r/r connected to the bike wiring (the r/r connected like it would be if I was running down the road) correct me if I'm wrong here. I didn't check the stator voltage with the r/r disconnected, only with both r/r connectors connected.

Bryan

• Member Contributer

if you didn't do the checks as indicated, how do you know if the stator is any good? please don't answer "because its new" in the 47 years of mechanicals i have had every part of a motor defective "new out of the box". the post you mentioned is outstanding..........give it a try!

If your measure VAC off a stator, you can't just use a multi-meter on AC mode, you need a PVA, Peak Voltage Meter adapter which stores the AC currant in a DC state, then you should be reading it in DC on your multi-meter, eventhough your measure VAC. Whatever the DC shows on your meter w/ the PVA, thats really your AC reading. 60VAC w/o a PVA is about 13-15 VAC when measuring incorrectly, I only know this because I've done it several times.

I measured my old stator output with a multimeter set for Volts AC and got 59 vac at 5k. I believe the stator was fully disconnected when I checked it.

My posts are buried in the thread, but the stock wiring left me with 13.8 v at 5 k (check of output dc volts at battery) with all new components. The problem is with the size of the wiring for the grounds and r/r input into battery. I did what I reported and ended up with a solid 14.06-08v with nothing more than the wiring change. My r/r still gets very hot.

Thanks for the help guys.

I called ricks this am and did some checks and it appears the r/r might be faulty. Sending it back to get it tested.

I just finished installed the new rick's r/r and stator that I received today. Got all done and thought just for kicks, since everything is new it should work right, I'd measure the vac coming from the stator under load. Well it was only around 13vac.

Er...did you disconnect the R/R before measuring the AC voltage from the stator? You need to do that to get the 60VAC that we obtain.

A hot R/R seems to indicate that your stator is working fine.

Archived