233.2 Miles Later! Pilot Power Ftmfw.....

Guest Topeka 800

Guest Topeka 800

Well Sunday afternoon I got the tires mounted and off I went, that is the Michelin Pilot Powers. I had no way of getting the bike and the tires to the guys house in one trip but I decided to be MICHELIN MAN. So I slipped the two tires around my waist and rode the 22 mile trip to my buddys house who has a tire changer on the back of his truck along with a static balancer and every other tool needed to change the tires out. I had a lot of people looking at me on the way there, in fact one guy pulled up and gave me the :thumbsup: and he pulled out his camera phone and I gave him the :thumbsup: . LOL

Anyways, I got the tires mounted and headed back to town and instantly noticed a difference, I am running 42 in the rear and 36 up front and I way 150lbs. The bike handles like a champion, I didnt realize what I was missing. After 50 miles of easy riding, I headed for the local twisties in my area. After the first few corners, each one I hit a bit harder until I gained the confidence I was looking for. Well I rode another 100 miles that day and rode those roads harder than I ever have and went into each corner comfortable, no braking throughout the entire run and ran in my lane the entire time. Well after I reached my destination and hopped off and took a quick look at the tires and realized I had NO CHICKEN STRIPS!

On my previous set of tires, I had about 1/8"-1/4" of strips on my tires but on the Powers, there is absolutely nothing at all and I could certainly lean her over more and go through there much faster. I recently took off my peg feelers as they were scrapping (sp) but never did I scrape the actual pegs Sunday or anything else on the bike, I am curious as to how much farther I can lean before dragging something else, how does it go? 1. Pegs 2. Sidestand 3. Centerstand or Exhaust. 4. Fairings. ???

The next day, me and my g/f (125lbs) hit the same route that I normally run and this is the first time for me riding two up on these roads. I went into each corner 80+ (also went -1 tooth on front sprocket) so I would say 70+ and we both enjoyed the ride and was confident through each corner.

Anyways I am very impressed with these set of tires!

PILOT POWERS FTW........ WOOT! VERY HAPPY.

CANT WAIT FOR TRACK DAY!!!!!!!!!

Just thought I would share.

HEY LEE2002, whenever you want to run those roads, IM READY! LOL

^^ Are you going to Cassoday Sunday?

Hey, I'm glad to hear you like the new tires!! :thumbsup: Running "real" sport tires always makes for a nice transformation.

If I may play "dad" for a minute, though, reading your post reminds me of when I was learning to get my lean on, and I would just like to say, be careful. I have learned from experience(sometimes bad) where my limits are, and I would advise you to do some research on proper body positioning before you push yourself any farther. If you're running on the edge of the tire, you're running low on traction, not good on the street where anything can happen. Make sure you are wearing ALL your gear when you go out and practice, and everywhere else for that matter.

Again, glad you're enjoying your new rubber(what were you running before, BTW?), and be safe out there. Tires are a big step in the right direction, but just the tip of the iceberg in regards to setting up your bike for hard riding.

Ok, rant off! :goofy:

Now go do a :goofy: and have a :goofy: . :D

Hey, I'm glad to hear you like the new tires!! :thumbsup: Running "real" sport tires always makes for a nice transformation.

If I may play "dad" for a minute, though, reading your post reminds me of when I was learning to get my lean on, and I would just like to say, be careful. I have learned from experience(sometimes bad) where my limits are, and I would advise you to do some research on proper body positioning before you push yourself any farther. If you're running on the edge of the tire, you're running low on traction, not good on the street where anything can happen. Make sure you are wearing ALL your gear when you go out and practice, and everywhere else for that matter.

Again, glad you're enjoying your new rubber(what were you running before, BTW?), and be safe out there. Tires are a big step in the right direction, but just the tip of the iceberg in regards to setting up your bike for hard riding.

Ok, rant off! :goofy:

Alright "DAD" thanks for the advice - greatly appreciated. I have been researching on proper body positioning and have been working on it. Yes I certainly need to get leather pants & boots, probably will be one of my next investments.

I had Metzler Sportmax on the front and a 207 on the rear, after I ran the previous rear tire to the cords LOL.

Still need to get my suspension dialed in, havent even messed with it.

• Member Contributer

1. Pegs 2. Sidestand 3. Centerstand or Exhaust. 4. Fairings. ???

1. Knee

2. Toe slider

3. Peg

4. Header on right side

5. Centerstand

6. Fairings

7. Engine case, bar end, mirror, tail section, leathers, helmet all in pretty fast succession.

Are you the guy that thought the chords were the wear bars?

• Member Contributer

Better watch out, it's easy to get your fairings down to the wear bars!

Edit: Dammit, Jeremy beat me by two minutes! :P

• Member Contributer
I have been researching on proper body positioning and have been working on it.

You will need someone that knows what they are doing to watch and coach you on your position and/or photos/video so you can actually see what you are doing.

Set your sag as described in Slammer's How To Guide. It is pretty easy to do and can make a big difference.

• Member Contributer

LOL, here are some pictures of my fairings at the wear bars...

DSCN0336.jpg

Shows #4 (header) and #6

DSCN0332.jpg

Shows #6

PA210103.JPG

Shows #7 :goofy:

^^ Are you going to Cassoday Sunday?

I'm not a big Cassoday fan. Too many weekend warriors on the road. I do like to ride to Cassoday, just never on the first Sunday of the month.

It is a sight to see, but not worth the price of admission in idiots on the road and congestion. I usually make it on a "first Sunday" about every other year. And I'm not due this year.

I am happy you like your PP. I got another Z6 Roadtec put on after my flat. I really like the Z6 as it suits my riding perfectly. I get good commuter mileage and can scrub the tire to the edges and touch down peg feelers, which is enough for me.

I would have liked to see the Michelin Man impression. Believe me, if I had been the one taking the photo, that would have already been on VFRD.

Well SEB, now I know that you are indeed old enough for a beer. But I'm not sure about '800.

1. Pegs 2. Sidestand 3. Centerstand or Exhaust. 4. Fairings. ???

1. Knee

2. Toe slider

3. Peg

4. Header on right side

5. Centerstand

6. Fairings

7. Engine case, bar end, mirror, tail section, leathers, helmet all in pretty fast succession.

Are you the guy that thought the chords were the wear bars?

Well I guess its time for some gear with the knee pucks so I can start tearing that up, j/k sounds like fun though. Yes I had the Dunlop Sportmax Cords on the rear, I didn't really like that tire, LMAO.

HAHA

I have been researching on proper body positioning and have been working on it.

You will need someone that knows what they are doing to watch and coach you on your position and/or photos/video so you can actually see what you are doing.

Set your sag as described in Slammer's How To Guide. It is pretty easy to do and can make a big difference.

I would like to have someone there that has done it before to guide me through it all.

LOL, here are some pictures of my fairings at the wear bars...

DSCN0336.jpg

Shows #4 (header) and #6

DSCN0332.jpg

Shows #6

PA210103.JPG

Shows #7 :goofy:

LOOKING GOOD!

Archived