Help - No Gauges No Headlights!

Guest ScottpRedRider

Guest ScottpRedRider

Hi all, I changed oil today and put it all together - noticed I had a taillight bulb out (brake light worked but not running light)... messed with that and determined I needed a new bulb. Put it back together - now I have No dash - no tach, no speedo, no thermo - insturments are dead - 'cept the clock works! Also - the headlights do not work. Have brake lights and blinkers and starts right up!

Also - it has blown the 2nd 10 (Amp?) fuse (Red) from the front twice when I turn the switch on - makes a crackling sound with a new fuse obviously it is blowing it). All the rest seem fine.....

Help

Hi all, I changed oil today and put it all together - noticed I had a taillight bulb out (brake light worked but not running light)... messed with that and determined I needed a new bulb. Put it back together - now I have No dash - no tach, no speedo, no thermo - insturments are dead - 'cept the clock works! Also - the headlights do not work. Have brake lights and blinkers and starts right up!

Also - it has blown the 2nd 10 (Amp?) fuse (Red) from the front twice when I turn the switch on - makes a crackling sound with a new fuse obviously it is blowing it). All the rest seem fine.....

Help

well, if the problem started AFTER you put the new bulb in, take it back out and see if fuse lives.

2nd fuse back (going from 20A fuse end) is a 10A fuse that runs all the things you are saying dont work EXCEPT for headlights, which are on the 20A fuse I mentioned. Check it and see if it is out too.

it almost sounds like maybe you pinched a wire or something while working on the lights and now a short is blowing the fuse.

if you dont have a manual, you might want to download the pdf from this sight and run the connections.

good luck!

Hey Scott... Check check this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33509 . Seems to be an eeriely similar issue. If not, also check your blue connector (behind left fairing) to make sure none of the wires are shorted. Though you just had your wiring harness completely replaced, right?

If you need the service manual, let me know. I can drop it on a file server at work. smile.gif

thanks for the feedback - got er fixed! Seems the whimpy wires for the lic plate light have worn- prolly has something to do with the mod i did when installing the fend eliminator some yrs ago - anyway bare wires were touching - blowing fuse! Pulled them apart and all is good - now where can I get those little fuses?

• Member Contributer

Most anywhere. Murray's, Auto Zone, Wally World, most hardware stores,...........

• Member Contributer

Isn't it fun chasing after those little electrical gremlins...NOT!

Glad you found your problem so quickly

Archived