Tire Changing Question

texdgl

I was talking with someone about changing tires and he mentioned cutting a chunk out of the tire with a hacksaw then using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut through the bead on the tire to get the tire off easily. Since the tire will be trashed anyway, it sounds like an easy alternative to breaking the bead. Has anyone used this approach?

• Member Contributer

Sure sounds like a lot of work. What is your plan to get the new tire on???? The new tire will be more stiff due to more rubber. If you can't get your old tire off the wheel without cutting it, I think it is highly unlikely to get a new tire put back on the wheel. Just MHO. Take it to a bike shop and pay to 15 bucks and have it balanced to boot.

As far as the term "breaking the bead", you don't actually "break" the steel cords. You are just "unseating" the bead from the wheel.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the idea of cutting the tire off is not a good one. It doesn't take that much effort to break the bead, soap the bead, and pry it off with a tire iron.

See this site for a good cheap way to do it. I use the same exact methods.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

see www.nomartirechanger.com for video's and ideas on how to use some clamps to make the process easier as well. The nomar changer is very nice and very expensive, but not necessary. The video's on the website gave me some good ideas for using some of those blue "quick clamps" from lowes to hold the bead down when working the tire off. nomar sells "extra hands" but they are 30$ each and you can get a 2 pack at lowes for $19.

• Member Contributer
Since the tire will be trashed anyway, it sounds like an easy alternative to breaking the bead.

It does? :unsure: One slip of that hacksaw or dremel could really harm the rim. Besides the DIY methods posted on the web, you can also take it to an independent automotive tire shop. Mine will break the beads for a $1 each.

• Member Contributer

Whomever told you to cut the tire is doing you a disservice. Besides, changing/balancing tires is not that difficult. Go to the site cozye posted. However you remove the old tire, after it is off I want you to get your saw and dremel tool and attempt to cut it in half. Then imagine if it had been on a wheel.

• Member Contributer

I tried that once when I was young and stupid. It is much easier to build your own beadbreaker.

Know that I am old and stupid I can afford to buy a nice bead breaker from harbor freight for $69.

As a bonus, it comes with a tire changer.

• Member Contributer

Do not cut the bead! If you can not get it off then you will not be able to get the new tire on.

I installed two tires on my VFR last month. Used the Harbor Freight rig. And if I can do it anybody can. :unsure:

Archived