Locations For Fiamm Highway Blaster Horns On 5th Gen?

Guest Mr. Visible

Question

Guest Mr. Visible

I just got a pair of FIAMM highway blaster horns (because Stebel install on 5th gen looked too tough w/ stock brakes). My bike is CA spec and has all that emissions stuff still on. For those of you who have FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns on 5th gens please tell me where you put them. :rolleyes: Pictures would be a big help, but I can follow written instructions. Please describe if you used the included mounting backet or fabricated your own. I have the bike apart for RR/ground wiring upgrade, Blue Sea and relay install, fork service and steering head bearing upgrade. I though now would be a good time to do the horn install with everything out of the way. I know this question has come up before, but I have searched and couldn't find many specifics on mounting locations (everything I found was vague or Stebel/VTEC related). Thanks for any help you can give.

-Mr. V

9 answers to this question

I just got a pair of FIAMM highway blaster horns (because Stebel install on 5th gen looked too tough w/ stock brakes). My bike is CA spec and has all that emissions stuff still on. For those of you who have FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns on 5th gens please tell me where you put them. :rolleyes: Pictures would be a big help, but I can follow written instructions. Please describe if you used the included mounting backet or fabricated your own. I have the bike apart for RR/ground wiring upgrade, Blue Sea and relay install, fork service and steering head bearing upgrade. I though now would be a good time to do the horn install with everything out of the way. I know this question has come up before, but I have searched and couldn't find many specifics on mounting locations (everything I found was vague or Stebel/VTEC related). Thanks for any help you can give.

-Mr. V

I fitted some Fiamms to my bike, and it took ages to find a good location. In the end, I fitted them up under the front fairing. I used the brackets that came with the horns, but twisted them around in a vice until the horns sat at the correct angle to not foul anything. It was a very tight squeeze, so I glued some thin foam to them to stop them rattling against the fairing panels. I left the stock horn in place, and ran wires from it to the relay, which I hung with the other relays in front of the instrument cluster, and ran a thicker cable back to my Blue Sea unit. If anything goes wrong with the horns set up, or I wanted to remove them for any reason (new bike! :salesman: ) they're not hooked into the existing wiring.

It's hard to explain exactly where they are, so here's a pic of Rob's bike with a cross marking the location of the left one. I can't even remember what I bolted the brackets to, but I think one of my dash bulbs is blown, so if I change it this weekend, I'll take some pix.

gallery_3710_217_91037.jpg

"X" marks the spot - horn location

i have dual fiamms on my 5th gen... i just bolted them on exactly where the stock horn was... used the brackets that came with it and just fanned them out a bit and bolted them down.

Thanks for the quick responses. Have any of you mounted the trumpet style horns (they are thicker than the disc ones)? I figure if I mount mine on the stock location they may interfere with front wheel travel. Any thoughts?

-Mr. V

Have any of you mounted the trumpet style horns (they are thicker than the disc ones)? I figure if I mount mine on the stock location they may interfere with front wheel travel. Any thoughts?

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, and also I didn't want to mount them with the horn opening not facing downward, so that's why I shifted them up under the front fairing. I had it off for the wiring anyway.

Otherwise, there's usually a bit of room under each side fairing panel, and the noise does get out.

I had the horns on my VFR750 mounted there, as the stock horn position was where the R/R was mounted.

If you look at my picture of Rob's bike, he seems to have a horn bolted to the left-hand side rear radiator mount.

When I had the VifFerraRi exploded all over the garage last week, I finally got around to photographing the horn location.

They're mounted on brackets bolted to the lower instrument panel mounting bolts. The box just behind the left horn (under the fairing inner panel) is the speedo corrector, and it's held on with heavy-duty 3M mounting stuff (can't remember the name of it).

underfairing1.jpg

The foam bits on the horns are to stop them rattling against the inside of the fairing, as things are VERY tight.

underfairing3.jpg

The garage door opener is mounted above the headlights, on the inside of the fairing, and is held on with velcro strips.

underfairing4.jpg

• Member Contributer
The garage door opener is mounted above the headlights, on the inside of the fairing, and is held on with velcro strips.

underfairing4.jpg

aaahhh... this the one you forget to press the other day? :P

aaahhh... this the one you forget to press the other day? :P

If by "the other day" you mean "the day several months ago when the laws of physics were suspended in a localised anomaly outside my place of residence, causing the road to leap up and attack my VFR, thereby inflicting damage to my crankcase cover and fairing panels, and subjecting me to much consternation/unhappiness until I figured out why it had happened", then the answer is "Maybe..."

Archived