Signal Dynamics Brake Light Module Questions

Guest smiffer

Guest smiffer

I purchased the Backoff-XP from Signal Dynamics but have a question as to which wires on my 6th gen to hook it up to. Since I have two brake lights I was going to only hook the unit up to the upper light. Which wire do I splice into though? Solid green is the ground so do I splice into the green/yellow or brown/blue wire? Signal Dynamics instructions:

mode01.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't know which color it is, but you could easily check. One wire will have 12v constant on it for the running light, the other will only have 12v when the brake is applied. The one that turns "hot" when the brake is applied is where you need to patch this device into.

• Member Contributer

Yes, Green/yellow. You can tell this because they are taking constant power for the license plate light from the brown/blue wire. Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

May we get this pinned?

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post however has anybody done this mod for both rear lights? Thought it would help with visibility a little more to have both flash. Any suggestions on how to wire it to workthis way? My take on this was to cut both greenyellow wires and splice the bottom light wire into the top wire with the backoff. Would this work?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting this riverlife. I'm about to do the very same modification and was wondering the same thing. Now I know to hook up the unit to both wires.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Question for y'all that have doe this mod. I spliced the positive wire to the green/yellow wire on both lights and I spliced the ground wire unit to the green ground wire on one of the lights. When I tested it with just the battery everything worked fine. Both lights came n and modulated when I pulled the brake lever and went off when I let go. When I started the bike up and had it running I moved it and then noticed that the brake lights were on all the time even without the lever pulled. I couldn't make them go off.

Did I do something wrong with the wiring? Should I have run the unit ground wire to its own ground point and not spliced it to one of the green wires? Should I have spliced it to both green ground wires? I know that my brake lever position switch may be the problem but it was late and I was tired and didn't fiddle with it. But it would be a weird coincidence that my brake lever position switch would get out of whack at the same time I rewired the tail lights.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

It appears to be the rear brake pedal switch is the culprit. Service Manual doesn't give any adjustment instructions. I guess I'll just start fiddling with it.

Archived