Dead Battery (i Just Want To Talk About It)

Guest CornerCat

Guest CornerCat

Last time I rode my 1999 VFR was in September 2006 (I got a ticket no biggy, I've learned to pay a lawyer - another topic). In the Seattle area this Fall/Winter we had a lot of rain, wind & ice so not the best conditions for a MC commute. The bike sat in the garage.

Two weeks ago was perfect weather in the NW, sunny 60F. Just enough sun on you to be warm & the air is cool enough to ware full gear & not get hot - my perfect weather ride. I'm geared up & ready to go! Weeeeeee :beer:

................ STOP .......................

No lights, no FI light, no oil light! No-no-NO. :goofy:

I'd turn the bike to off & the clock said it was 1:00 (it wasn't).

Damn battery, damn-damn-damn me for not hooking it up this winter.

I want to be careful, what should I do? Hook it up to the charger now?

~Jen

• Member Contributer

Also if the battery is old, you may have killed it letting it go that long. Even walmart now sells the cheap "batter tender" style mini-charges with permanent hookups that you leave on the battery and just unplug when you're ready to ride. Less than $20. Luckily I can rider year around but I got one for my lawn tractor since its charging system sux and it doesn't get much use in the winter.

• Member Contributer
Also if the battery is old, you may have killed it letting it go that long. Even walmart now sells the cheap "batter tender" style mini-charges with permanent hookups that you leave on the battery and just unplug when you're ready to ride. Less than $20. Luckily I can rider year around but I got one for my lawn tractor since its charging system sux and it doesn't get much use in the winter.

:goofy:

I love my Wal-mart special battery tender. Absolutely no problems from mine, just a fully charged battery. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Update:

My battery was placed on a charger, taken off the charger, motor started, battery left off charger for one night and in the morning the battery did not start the engine. Repeated charger-off charger, etc, and it was concluded that the battery was no longer holding a charge.

I replaced the battery and my VFR is running fine.

smile.gif

~Jennifer

Archived