Looking For A Tankbag For My Vfr

25th VFR

• Member Contributer

I would like to get some recommendations on a small tank bag for my 07' VFR. I would like to carry my digital camera (Canon Rebel XT) with my telephoto lens. Might put in my Nano and misc. papers for the bike. Any ideas would be welcome, pictures of your VFR would be more than welcome as well. As always, thanks in advance.

-Mark

There is a direct relationship between features and price. I spent $30 on this Nelson Rigg tankbag that is magnetic, expandable, with 3 pockets and a separate clear map pouch that I use for my Ipod. It has performed very well for me over the last 17k miles. The only issue was the plastic rain guard ripped. There are some very deluxe, very nice bags for around a $100.

gallery_5823_2458_472885.jpg

fully loaded in Jasper, Alberta

• Member Contributer

This is the one I went with. Small which I like and has a nice structure to it.

Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag

• 1680D Ballistic nylon exterior

• Clear-Vu snap map pocket

• Heavy-duty large tooth zippers

• Scotchlite® 3M reflective Tour Master logo

• Top flap internal organizer pocket

• Drawstring closure rain cover

• TPR Zipper Pulls

• Tricot interior lining

• Rubberized carrying handle

• Shielded magnetic mounting system

• Safety tether strap

• Protective non-slip / non-scratch mounting base

• Easy access top load main compartment

• 10"L x 8"W x 5"H (Approx) (6.5 Liter Capacity)

• Member Contributer
This is the one I went with. Small which I like and has a nice structure to it.

That looks about right for me, camera will be snug I'm sure, but it's a lot better than a monsterous 21 liter bag :/

Thanks for the input Smola67 :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
There is a direct relationship between features and price. I spent $30 on this Nelson Rigg tankbag that is magnetic, expandable, with 3 pockets and a separate clear map pouch that I use for my Ipod. It has performed very well for me over the last 17k miles. The only issue was the plastic rain guard ripped. There are some very deluxe, very nice bags for around a $100.

I was looking at the Nelson-Rigg as well. I think that for the price you cant complain. I assume it's decent lining to the tank? I want to carry my digital camera as I mentioned in the initial post, however I am really worried about the camera taking a beating inside a bag. My other option is to simply get a tank bag that fits my camera and do some custom foam inserts that I cut out. Ideas?

• Member Contributer
http://www.chicaneusa.com/canyon.htm

This the one I just bought .

Works well and not to big or small .

Heh, I have commented on every bag :/ Do you have an interior picture available of this bag? THe cost is a bit more than I would like to pay, but it really looks like a good product. I might opt for the Canyon EX bag as I have a camel for my water.

No need for foam cutout, just stuff the bag with however many sweaters necessary to give it a snug happy home. A tankbag doesn't take a beating, no matter how hard you ride...unless you crash and then your camera shouldn't be too big of a concern. Even in a crash it would take an usual combination to do damage to the contents of a tankbag.

• Member Contributer

I use the JR Manta bag. I usually stuff my video camera in it and run the cable for the helmet cam down in front of the gas tank to the helmet cam mounted on the nose under the headlights. It's big enough for the camera, cables and batteries but not too big to remind me that my gut is getting too big. Has extra pockets for iPod, extra camcorder tapes and Starburst fruitchews.

You can kinda see it on this pic. gilligan_bikes.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a Red Joe Rocket Manta Tank bag (small...) that I only used a couple of times.

I'll sell you the Manta bag for $25 plus shipping. You can PM me. I'll take PayPal or check if you want it.

gallery_6467_1043_27796.jpg

Manta Bag.jpg

I regularly use a Rapid Transit Recon 19, which is bigger & carries my touring gear (air pump, patch kit, Honda polish & rags, etc).

gallery_6467_1043_38749.jpg

Mike_LT_11-05-06.jpg

Both Bags are magnetic bags & work great, but the Recon 19 holds quite a bit more junk that I drag around.

I picked up a small Cortech (bigger than the mini). Perfect size for a day trip. Easily fits a large water bottle, turtleneck, ipod, wallet etc. Has a few great stash pockets and a clear window for a map. It also expands, for those days when perhaps you shed a layer or want to bring a goodie home...say, like a bottle of red.... :unsure:

The material on the bottom is super smooth, easy on the tank. Fits well, doesn't get in my way, zippers are big enough to use with gloves on and zips up very easily. Velcro enclosures as well. Compared it with an Endurance bag and the Frank Thomas series....those 2 didn't even come close in fit and quality. Plus, it also came with 2 sets of tie-downs, you know, for those really windy days!

I expect to have this bag for a very long time...paid about $80.00.

• Member Contributer
It's big enough for the camera, cables and batteries but not too big to remind me that my gut is getting too big.

Oh I understand that :D

So many choices...You have the silver VFR? I thought those Manta's looked small on bikes, but that doesn't look too bad. Great...another option~! Thanks for the information smile.gif

MOTOPAK (ebay)

I bought this one last winter, only spent $2 plus $13 S&H. Looks like the bidding picks up a bit in the summer.

anyway, it fits and works fine. although i have not tested it in the rain.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,78110_...nk-Bag-25L.html

Have been using this one for about a year now. Am very very happy with it. It is larger than the one's mentioned already (manta etc) and I have lugged my D70 around in it (no problems on size etc). Was *SUPER* happy with the price too.

The things I really like about it is the expandable option, have actually taken groceries home in it. The other thing is the zip-on base. The actual bag zips onto the magnetic base, which eliminates the possibility of dinging your tank everytime you slap the magnets back on. (also the magnetic bases tend to pick up crap, which can scratch the paint).

The thing I don't like (pretty much true for most magnetic bags I checked out) is that you have to take the base off, to put gas into the machine. I wish there was a hole in the middle for the actual tank functionality.

PS: If you want to pay a little more (ok, not want .. but are willing) .. you should look at the tanksafe.

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_roo...etail&id=28

• Member Contributer

http://www.rapid-transit.com/rt/products.cfm?products_id=638

I bought this small bag for much the same use as you describe. It is small, has good strong magnets, and will also take a disc lock, and not be awkward when you stop at a cafe or whatever and take it off to carry around. I really like it , and it seems well made.

John

• Member Contributer

I got a Joe Rocket Manta from New Enough and I love it. It's just right for the daily work ride (lunch, usually a sandwich + 20 oz bottle of Gatorade, cell phone, IPod) and for weekend rides when I take the camera. They even show it on an Interceptor at the New Enough site:

New Enough site Manta photos

• Member Contributer

I too got a motopak from Ebay

They have many sizes and you can google them and see there lineup..

Mine is a larger one but is awesome. They have one for your camera and etc.

Look it up.

• Member Contributer
I would like to get some recommendations on a small tank bag for my 07' VFR. I would like to carry my digital camera (Canon Rebel XT) with my telephoto lens. Might put in my Nano and misc. papers for the bike. Any ideas would be welcome, pictures of your VFR would be more than welcome as well. As always, thanks in advance.

-Mark

Google cortech mini magnetic tank bag. I think they make one that uses straps if you like that method better.

Don't put the papers in the tank bag.

Put them in the cute little compartment on the bottom of your Sargent saddle.

• Member Contributer
http://www.rapid-transit.com/rt/products.cfm?products_id=638

I bought this small bag for much the same use as you describe. It is small, has good strong magnets, and will also take a disc lock, and not be awkward when you stop at a cafe or whatever and take it off to carry around. I really like it , and it seems well made.

John

+1.gif

have the same bag, for my daily riding.. big enough to carry the essential stuff. Think I paid something like $39 through a local shop. comes w/ a carry strap, removable soft pouch for a MP3 player, and a built-in rain cover (zips out of a front pocket, and pulls out over the bag)

MOTOPAK (ebay)

I bought this one last winter, only spent $2 plus $13 S&H. Looks like the bidding picks up a bit in the summer.

anyway, it fits and works fine. although i have not tested it in the rain.

I have rain tested it too many times to count. It has performed great no leaking! Although when i pulled the tankbag off the water was pooled up and went all over my feet (I had just pulled my boots off). I won mine on an ebay auction too for $35!! I would def. buy again/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

UPDATE:

Including the Marsee listed above for everyday traveling, I just ordered the Icon Urban tankbag/backpack. I'll give reviews when I receive it, however some guys that I ride with around here on occassion recommended it.

Icon Urban

g5430.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another vote for the super mini Cortech bag. I run it most of the time but use a bigger expandable bag during tours. One of these days I will upgrade that to a bigger Cortech as well.

Super Mini is Big enough to hold a Zumo toooooooooooo! :thumbsup:

med_gallery_2144_2760_505205.jpg

Archived