Another Fuse Box Install

house

I followed the pack and added a fuse block and relay (I finally forgot and left an accessory on and killed the battery.) I know you've see the ones from electrical connection and Blue Sea, but I picked this one up at the BMW dealership (forgive me, but I needed a heated jacket liner when it hit 14 degrees.) It took me forever to break down and install it, but I finally got it done. The main reason I decided on this guy is that it fits under the seat on a 6th gen (which is damn near impossible.) Anyway, check it out and let me know where I screwed it up wink.gif

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

Now all I need is a beer tap on the back...

• Member Contributer
I followed the pack and added a fuse block and relay (I finally forgot and left an accessory on and killed the battery.) I know you've see the ones from electrical connection and Blue Sea, but I picked this one up at the BMW dealership (forgive me, but I needed a heated jacket liner when it hit 14 degrees.) It took me forever to break down and install it, but I finally got it done. The main reason I decided on this guy is that it fits under the seat on a 6th gen (which is damn near impossible.) Anyway, check it out and let me know where I screwed it up wink.gif

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

Looks good but how does your seat fit? One of the tabs on the bottom of the stocker and Sargent seat will slide down between the center spar and the Centech unit. You were smart in putting your +/- connectors on the opposite side. My seat has started rubbing on my negative cable a little. I've been hesitant to hack the tab off of my $300 Sargent though.

Looks good but how does your seat fit? One of the tabs on the bottom of the stocker and Sargent seat will slide down between the center spar and the Centech unit. You were smart in putting your +/- connectors on the opposite side. My seat has started rubbing on my negative cable a little. I've been hesitant to hack the tab off of my $300 Sargent though.

I have just enough room for the tab on the Sargent... not sure if my stock seat will still fit or not. It took several beers and test fittings before I picked a mounting location :P

• Member Contributer

I have just enough room for the tab on the Sargent... not sure if my stock seat will still fit or not. It took several beers and test fittings before I picked a mounting location :P

:unsure:

• Member Contributer
I followed the pack and added a fuse block and relay (I finally forgot and left an accessory on and killed the battery.) ...........................................

It gets worse when you get older. :unsure: Better now!

Install looks good. :thumbsup: What was the cost of the unit from BMW?

I want to say $50... but I had taken the day off to goof off with my daughter (who was in a hurry to get to Chuck-e-cheese), so I don't remember exactly. Try a google search on the part number... I'm sure you will find it cheaper smile.gif

OK, maybe not. I found one here

Same price here, but with all the extras. I made most of this myself.

• Member Contributer

Looks tidy and spiffy. Howz bout I swing by a little later and you do all my rewiring? Damn, does your address say GA and not CA? Shoot. You and some other guys make it look easy. :beer:

Say, I did follow some of your earlier advice and installed a Powerlet on my fork crown. I used their instructions and came off the battery with the fused line they provided, grounding to the frame. I plan to use the socket to run my Autocom Pro. How many accessories can I safely run off the Autocom? (In order of importance: 2-way, radar, Ipod, cell phone.)

~Fred

Looks tidy and spiffy. Howz bout I swing by a little later and you do all my rewiring? Damn, does your address say GA and not CA? Shoot. You and some other guys make it look easy. :beer:

Say, I did follow some of your earlier advice and installed a Powerlet on my fork crown. I used their instructions and came off the battery with the fused line they provided, grounding to the frame. I plan to use the socket to run my Autocom Pro. How many accessories can I safely run off the Autocom? (In order of importance: 2-way, radar, Ipod, cell phone.)

~Fred

Thanks for the PM... missed your response/question with all the TMAC TShirt stuff going on. Not sure what you are asking, how many accessories can you plug into an autocom or can you run the accessorie's power from the autocom? You can plug alot of stuff into an autocom if you get the superpro avi, but I am by no means the authority on the autocom products... I just don't use them. My whole setup is bluetooth for phone and Ipod Nano with a custom remote for tunes. My radar has a visual alert plugged into it, so I could care less if I can hear it or not. For 2 way, my buddy and I use bluetooth cell phones. Whatever you wire up, go ahead and put a relay on the powerlet if you are going to run accessories on it. I left my heated grips on one time and killed my battery (luckily it was at home.) You may want to post a new thread and find someone who knows more about Autocom than I. The accessories you have listed do not total up anywhere near the capacity of the VFR electrical system (unless you have some weird gear,) so you should be all good to run them off the bike power. Sorry I couldn't be more help

PS - you're welcome to swing by... I love to work on any bike! You might have a long ride to get here :P

Guest VFRbar

Perfect timing on your post. I've been getting ready to purchase that exact setup but was wondering whether it could be mounted under the seat. Couple of questions-- 1), how did you secure the fusebox? I've seen it mounted to BMWs with a couple of screws to the airbox, but in this case, it looks like perhaps velcro would work best. And 2), does the Centech work with a battery tender?

Again, thanks for the post. :thumbsup:... it's Friday, so let's give you a bit more than just a thumbsup. :rolleyes: :beer: :beer:

Perfect timing on your post. I've been getting ready to purchase that exact setup but was wondering whether it could be mounted under the seat. Couple of questions-- 1), how did you secure the fusebox? I've seen it mounted to BMWs with a couple of screws to the airbox, but in this case, it looks like perhaps velcro would work best. And 2), does the Centech work with a battery tender?

Again, thanks for the post. :thumbsup:... it's Friday, so let's give you a bit more than just a thumbsup. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Velcro is my friend. The box really does not move much anyway (once the seat is on, it can't) but I added a small strip of velcro to keep it in place. This way it is easy to add more to the block later.

I doubt my setup would work with a battery tender ... I added a relay. If the bike is off, everything off the block is dead. You could add another lead straight from the battery for a battery tender.

One more thing, I had to dremel some of the metal case away to make the ground wire go where I wanted it to (and to give me enough space to mount under the seat.) See the pic below...

mod.jpg

• Member Contributer

Where are you guys running the wires from your accessories (front of bike) to the fuseblock (under seat). Are you running them along the Left side of the bike, or running them under the fuel tank. I need to run 6 wires (3 pairs) to the back. GPS, Powerlet Plug, and Voltmeter.

Thanks

Extreme

Edited by Extreme Justice