Garmin Nuvi 350

chris2992

gallery_9946_3088_68218.jpg

Honda_VFR_035.jpg

Here is my setup. I got the 5" ram mount which works a lot better than the 3" mount. I need the 5" to use with a small tankbag.

I really like the unit, very intuative. Even has the WAF (wife approval factor) for the car. the battery works great and got mine for $350 from Costco. Picks up the signal very quickly.

It does get washed out in bright sunlight and it would be nice to be able to do the "bread crumb" trick but I think it is a lot of bang for the buck

• Member Contributer

OhioVFR, thanks for reviving this post. I like your setup and would like to do something similar.

Hey, Chris2992, give us an update on your Nuvi. It's been about two months now. I am VERY interested in your (and other VFRDers) take on it. Especially versus the Zumo. My wife is balking at the cost of the Zumo. :pissed: Then need more on the tankbag method.

Help! I am so confused! :goofy:

i have the nuvi350 and:

works great

super easy

super basic

great to get from point a to point b

audible directions w/ street names, not just left in 200 yards..

down side:

doesn't do bread crumb trail

doesn't allow lots of way points (only start, end and one otherO

washes out in sun (doesn't matter as it does audible directions through headphones)

all that being said, i have one, love it for my car, i really should have bought a zumo for the bike for how i want to use it....if you are interested in one still, pm me

• Member Contributer

Sorry that my follow up review has taken so long. I have actually only used the gps on the bike 3 times and haven't taken the time to mount it via the RAM kit that is on my work bench, but just tossed it in the map pouch of my tank bag.

So far I really "like" the nuvi. I say like because there are some things that I wish it did and it doesn't. Most of which are covered above.

Negatives:

-No use of breadcrumbs or similar feature

-No ability to plan routes ahead on external software

-Only being able to plan a route via 2 waypoints

-Low screen brightness under heavy sun light

I would buy another for the cost savings over the zumo, but if I could swing the zumo, I'd be all over it. For me cost was a big factor, I initially planed on spending around $200-$250, and ended up with a $350 nuvi so buying a $650 zumo was out of the question.

After having one, I can say that this is a perfect entry GPS, or a GPS for someone that wants something very *very* simple to use. I wish it had a bit more raz-ma-zaz, but you get what you pay for, and this thing is very affordable for what it does.

Regarding satellite strength, the only place that it has had problems was in down town Chicago with my wife, they were walking with it between buildings and the accuracy went up to about 240ft, still good enough to get you close, but lacked that "let you off at the door step" feel. I on the other hand have only seen as bad as about 50ft in a heavily wooded area, and have seen as good as 10ft in the open standing still. It averages about 16-20ft when in normal use moving and such.

On a bike it gets a 7/10, for the screen brightness issues and the lack of actual push buttons. Though I don't have any problems with the touch screen with gloves on, it would be simpler with push buttons that you can "feel". Also I feel like I should take some points away for lack of water proofing.

In the car I give it a 10/10. It is perfect, never fail direction giving. I have yet to be disappointed by a lack of a certain feature in the car, even have used the phone numbers associated with the address to make a dinner reservation (very nice).

All in all concerning cost, performance and durability (so far) I rate it at a 8.5/10, and for the money would recommend it to anyone. But with my recommendation you will also get the descriptions of my disappointments. For me the cost jump to get to a gps that does everything that I would want can't be justified over what the nuvi does for me.

Archived