Installing a rr fan

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

I wired a computer power supply fan to my Regulator Rectifier to help draw air into the unit when the bike was not moving, or stuck in traffic. ?

I began by removing the RR from the bike and setting the fan next to the fins where I planned to mount it, I used a pencil and marked on the RR where the mounting holes are on the fan.

wire13.jpg

Then using a drill I bored holes into the fins where the marks were.

Then I used wire to attach the fan to the RR, just threading it thru the holes and tightly wrapping the ends and cut them off. ?Small Zip ties will do the job too, but the plastic might melt if it gets really hot, I doubt that though.

I used the leads from my licence plate light to power the fan originally, but later tied the power into my accessory fuse box that I later added. ?The wires must have the correct polarity or it wont run! Make sure the fan you buy is rated at 12v, this one came from Radio Shack and has been working non stop for 2 years now!

wire14.jpg

I would suggest you wrap up the wires tightly with electrical tape and secure them to the frame with more tape or zip ties, as the jarring of riding might cause them to work loose.

• 1 month later...
Guest ManaBurrn
Is that the "upgraded" R/R? It is more difficult to put a fan on because of the curvature of the fins (the original is flat on top). I had to use a really small, thin fan and hack off a couple of the corners.

• Forum CEO
Upgraded? this is for my 98.  its flat,  some guys are putting 2 fans on the larger RR that the VTEC uses.  The curved surface can be handled with the top of the fan being flush and secured and the bottom sitting out a bit and attached with zip ties to keep it from flapping around.  You still get cooling air on it and that is what is important.

Guest MinnMarker

Just did it last night. ?Slick! ?Used 2 fans from old Pentium 75s that were sitting in the corner at the office. ?Just strapped them on with some cable ties and fixed in place vertically by tapping a few of the fan mounting holes and screwing in 10-32 bolts. ?Did not have to remove the r/r. ?Wired to the licence plate light. ?The whole process took about 40 minutes.

Thanks for the idea.

Guest ratfink
Is that the "upgraded" R/R? It is more difficult to put a fan on because of the curvature of the fins (the original is flat on top). I had to use a really small, thin fan and hack off a couple of the corners.

I put a big fan on my updated R/R, it was a pint to get it to fit, but it works. I also have to cut off a couple of corners.

I bought a brand new 12v fan from a computer store, mounted it up and it only ran for a few months before going Tango Uniform.

I might try it again with a different brand fan, but my results were poor owing to the fan failure. I too tapped into the license plate light to power it.

R/R is original and still going strong, fan or no. The spare R/R under the seat must be warding off evil spirits or something.  :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Upgraded? this is for my 98. ?its flat, ?some guys are putting 2 fans on the larger RR that the VTEC uses. ?The curved surface can be handled with the top of the fan being flush and secured and the bottom sitting out a bit and attached with zip ties to keep it from flapping around. ?You still get cooling air on it and that is what is important.

Here is a question, I am going to do this tonight...do you want the air flow ONTO the R/R OR do you want the airflow to pull AWAY from the RR? Which one will give best results?

Beuller? Beuller?

Maybe pulling the air into the RR and fan motor will help keep the fan motor just a little cooler and extend it's life. If you pull it through the RR the air would already be saturated with heat by the time it hits the fan motor. It might be a very marginal difference though, because of the very close proximities, but anything helps. :P

Beck

95 VFR

• 8 months later...
Guest VeFeR
I am considering doing this mod but isn't there a concern with the fan getting wet say when you wash your bike .. won't it short out?

Guest VeFeR
Are there fans available that would be better suited for outdoor type use ... and would it be a good idea to put a fuse on the fan .. just in case?  And Thanks again for the other help!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ProZac
Well I have about 35k miles on this fan I installed, it just pooped out on me. ?Thats 4 cents a mile!

That's one expensive fan!  $1400

JK.

• 5 months later...