Bohn-armor

pm_wizard

• Member Contributer

has anyone any experience wearing this (http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com) body armor under clothing. There doesn't appear to be anything in the site about what standards this armor is manufactured to meet, but it seems like an interesting idea for casual use (or even under the regular riding suit for more protection).

Oops: I refined my search and up popped a few older threads on Bohn.... sorry about that.

Thanks,

John

has anyone any experience wearing this (http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com) body armor under clothing. There doesn't appear to be anything in the site about what standards this armor is manufactured to meet, but it seems like an interesting idea for casual use (or even under the regular riding suit for more protection).

Oops: I refined my search and up popped a few older threads on Bohn.... sorry about that.

Thanks,

John

Last I heard, Bohn's gear is NOT CE approved. Don't quote me though.

• Member Contributer

Well.... given the small consensus I have found here so far, I'll just stick with my textile suit and keep looking!

Thanks,

John

• Member Contributer

I wear the adventure pants under my jeans or my textile pants because their armor is shit. My thoughts are this no, abrasion protection, distinct possibility the armor will move and not be there when you need it most. BUT seeing as not much decent protection is made in my size and the only crash injury I've suffered was an impact injury to the knee these fall smack into the "Not the greatest but better'n nuthin" category. If you're not rotund (read: fat ass) like me and your bank account can suffer the hit get a nice pair leather pants with CE approved hard shell armor, preferrably something that zips to your jacket (ask my very sexy friend April how it feels to go on your honeymoon in Jamaica with road rash right where your jacket should have been).

Bohn just rips off and copies other companies products. They used to claim they were 'built to CE specs' while they never were TESTED to CE specs. Just buy the Daineses or Knox stuff they copied and feel better for not supporting a cloner.

Have you ever looked at the Forcefield products?

I never tested them but I have heard good stuff about them.

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/product_selector.asp

+1.gif

Just bought some Forcefield armor myself. The back protector rules! It really does "disappear" when you're wearing it. Very comfy. :thumbsup: My chest protector and armored shorts should be arriving today. I bought everything from Motostrano.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the suggestion. I will explore the Forcefield products.

This forum is a great resource!

John

+1.gif

Just bought some Forcefield armor myself. The back protector rules! It really does "disappear" when you're wearing it. Very comfy. :thumbsup: My chest protector and armored shorts should be arriving today. I bought everything from Motostrano.

My chest protector and armored shorts arrived yesterday, and they are awesome. The armored shorts feels like a pair of football pants with the padding, or at least I imagine that's what football armored pants feel like since I've never actually worn a pair. I made sure to pick up the level 2 version of Forcefield's armored shorts, which satisfies the EN 1621-1 level 3 standard! So, instead of only allowing 35 kN of transmittal force from a 50 Joule energy hit, it allows 35 kN of force from a 100 J hit. The chest protector is pretty cool too. It’s rated the same as the back protector at the EN 1621-2 level 2 standard. It hooks right up to the back protector or it can be worn separately.

th_BackProtector.jpgth_RaceLite.jpgth_ActionShorts.jpg

• Member Contributer
th_BackProtector.jpgth_RaceLite.jpgth_ActionShorts.jpg

Let us know how they feel when riding! Any unfortunate seams where the seat is? That kind of stuff!

They look nice. Motostrano is right down the road from me, and they are pretty darn good.

Let us know how they feel when riding! Any unfortunate seams where the seat is? That kind of stuff!

They look nice. Motostrano is right down the road from me, and they are pretty darn good.

Just got back from a quick ride. The Action Shorts are pretty comfy. You'll definitely need to wear pants a size bigger because they take up some room. My real worry was the armor over the tail-bone, but it's not even noticeable when sitting down. No unfortunate seams anywhere. Plus, the great thing about the Action Shorts is that I can also where them when going snowboarding now. :thumbsup:

Back protector feels great too. A little warmer than I thought (though every review I've read said it has the best ventilation), but nothing too uncomfortable. The chest protector is also good. Both the back protector and chest protector are stiff when you first put them on, but once they warm up (due to your body heat) they because more flexible and mold to your body. :beer:

Archived