Vf1000r Recommended Tyre Brands

Guest mack

Hi folks, having just acquired an '85 VF1000R, one of the first things I want to do is put new rubber on it.

Has anyone got a brand they reccomend for everyday road use? I've no intention of trying to hustle the

old girl too enthusiastically, so a half way between grip and wear is what I'm after...cheers (I'm in the U.K. by the way)

Guest vfrrider

Check out vf1000r.com for details.

Right now, I believe Avon makes some decent tires (tyres) for our bike. So does Dunlap (D207's?).

Larry

VFRrider

Guest vfrrider

I have some Bridgestones on it right now. If I was keeping it, I would upgrade to at least Dunlops. It runs great, but the ergos are all wrong for me. Long reach to the bars, short reach to the pegs.

But thats OK, I have a plan.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

I like Dunlops the best. D207's aren't made in the correct size, you have to use GT501's. I've also used Bridgestones and found them to have decent grip. They wear out really fast though. Stay away from Metzler's. Just my experiences!

If you want to use better rubber then you have to change the wheels. Go to my site for details on how to do this!

• Member Contributer
Stay away from Metzler's. Just my experiences!

I'm curious why you say that. I've been running them on my 500 Interceptor for over two decades with great results. (The factory Dunlops on that thing sucked! Well, the rear one anyway. It broke loose way too easy. Switched to Metzelers and I've been a happy camper since.) I recently had a Lasertec put on the front of the VF1000R but haven't had a chance to ride it much since Colorado weather decided to start imitating North Dakota's. :rolleyes:

I have some Bridgestones on it right now. If I was keeping it, I would upgrade to at least Dunlops. It runs great, but the ergos are all wrong for me. Long reach to the bars, short reach to the pegs.

But thats OK, I have a plan.

Larry

VFRrider

Did you finish the restoration on your 1000r yet? If so, how did it turn out? I am just waiting for the body to come back from the painters.. seems winter here makes him busy.

• Member Contributer

I had Metzler Bias Plys on my VF700F and I now have Dunlop radials, 205 on the rear and 204(?) on the front, on my VF1000R. I liked the Metzler bias ply better than the Dunlop Radials.

The Metzler seems to give me a lot more feel for what they were doing down there, but the Dunlops seem to be "silent". Perhaps I am just not pushing the Dunlops hard enough to demand feedback.

I will vouge for the Metzler Lasertec wet performance. They are far superior wet to the Dunlop 205 on back. It spins on every peice of painted road..... seems to be no better on mileage than the metzlers were, either.

• Member Contributer
Well, there is a tire survey on the first page of vfrd :goofy:

but i would go with the Pirelli Diablos

I would just like to mention this. VF1000Rs have very special tire requirements. From the material I can find, they came with a radial on the back and a bias ply on the front. They also have a 16" front and a 17" rear, which is far from common. (Even the VF700/750 had 16" front and 18" rear) Tire surveys do absolutely no good for those of us on these machines.

Well, untill they make Pilot Powers for 16" front wheels.

Jamie is helping my out with my F2 conversion...... I suggest the same for anyone wanting a decent selection of tires for the next 20 years.

Well, no one buy the parts that I want on E-Bay, till I have finished the F2 swap.

Guest vfrrider

bear,

The recent wesather (29F in Austin, 200 miles south of me) has sloweed him down a little. Says he has the final clearcoats to put on. I have done all I can in preparation for them. soon I hope. I have already got several inquiries about the Beast when she's done. She should be awesome in her Rothmans colors.

BTW, I tried to pick up another R. But found out it was a basket case, wrong wheels, etc. in the back of a trailer and STILL he wants premium dollar. Oh well, I'm patient and I can wait. All I want is a complete R, preferably 86, with a good engine. I can go from there. The last one I flew to Chicago and drove it home for another $1000.

Larry

VFRrider

Future NR replica builder

• Member Contributer

1983 VF750F INTERCEPTOR RC15 has 16" fornt and 18" rear. I just wore out a set of

Bridgestone Battlax BT-014, the rear lasted 4000 im to the cords and no burnouts.

The grip was the best but the wear sucked!! I might try the Battlax BT-045 next time.

or Metzeler i think has a set.

Stephen

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
I think you should try Bridgestone BT45....it seems to be the best choice for our old sportbikes!

I have the BT45 on the rear of my VF1000R and a Metzeler Lasertech bias-ply up front and I like them. I rode it Friday and was going through a high speed sweeper and thought "Damn, this bike really takes high speed turns nicely." It's very stable. You put her on a line and she stays right there. Can't say much about the durability of the BT45 since I don't ride the VF1000R too much (it's a collector bike for me) but the grip and feel are pretty good.

Archived