Tach & Speedo Quit Working...bike Died

Guest Thrash1

Guest Thrash1

I was riding today and I was just about home, I noticed my bike was running a little rough and looked down and noticed the Tach was at 0 and shortly after that the Speedo went to 0. But the bike still ran somewhat...OK.. I came to a stop sign and it just stopped all together.

I pulled on a side street to get away from traffic and Hit the starter button.. Nothing. Not even a Grunt from the starter. Lucky there was a hill I pushed till I got enought speed up and tried to bump start in 2nd gear. It stuttered and didn't start. I tried a couple of more times and still no good. I pushed my bike to the top of the hill and called the wife to pick me up.

As I sat for about 10min waiting, I tried the starter button again. The bike barely tried to start. When my wife arrived I tried to push start again.

Bam. It started, I rode back to my pickup and got my helmet and rode home.. A couple of times the Tach zeroed again, but the bike ran ok.

It was 104* out today and i think the R/R finally gave up. Mayby its about time for it to be replaced. Its still the original that came on the bike in '98.

• Member Contributer

might sound dumb but really check battery connections remove and make sure they are clean ,especailly positive side at battery :D

might sound dumb but really check battery connections remove and make sure they are clean ,especailly positive side at battery :D

Well installed a New Battery two months ago.. I cleaned the Connections with a Stainless Steel Brush and contact cleaner. I also applied battery post compound on them. So I'm pretty sure there Clean. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll have to go through the whole electical system.

Thanks for the Replies.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Well installed a New Battery two months ago.. I cleaned the Connections with a Stainless Steel Brush and contact cleaner. I also applied battery post compound on them. So I'm pretty sure there Clean. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll have to go through the whole electical system.

Thanks for the Replies.

:D

When you find out, let me know - the exact same thing happened to me on Sunday except my tach was fine, just the speedo and bike died. I was able to have it jump started and the voltage was measured at 12 at 5krpm and started sinking to 11 at idle. I was worried that it was because I just put in some aftermarket headlights (Silverstars 60/55W) and a Back Off brake light modulator. Unfortunately my bike was much closer to the shop than to home, so its in their warehouse waiting in line for service rather than in my garage getting a full inspection.

My buddy has a 4th gen, too, and he had a similar problem where we rode all day and then parked it for about 5 minutes - we come back out and it won't start. It turned out he only needed a new battery, but somehow I think the charging system was contributing to its death.

Are you running any electrical upgrades (headlights, gps, radio)?

The exact same thing happened to my '98. It is most likely the R/R. When it heats up, it pretty much quits working. Then, when it cools after sitting for a few minutes, it is good to go, until it heats up again. As has been said on here many times before, double check everything. I replaced my R/R, and it still acted up on me, and left me sitting again. Turns out, my stator was bad at the same time. It's not as common, but it happens.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like classice R/R failures symptoms. I had the same thing happen on my 2K last sumer. Bought the new and improved R?R from Ron Ayers Honda. Installation new unit in a few minutes (no burned out wires or harness). Not a single problem since.

Although, as others have mentioned, it will not hurt to double check the rest of the electrics.

Went throught the whole diagnostic procedure. Came down to the R/R Voltage was only 1.8v/DC.. THanks for the Help.. I've got a replacement on order form Ron Ayers. I'll just replace the batter as well just to be safe..

Thanx :thumbsup:

Archived