Scorpio Sr-i500sw Alarm On 6th Gen

Guest edg

I know that 2 or 3 strong fellas could pick the bike up and hall it off in a truck, but after having three different instances where people have want'ed to 'look' (read as touch) my bike, I figured some deterence was necessary. I purchased the SR-i500SW alarm with the perimeter detection and ignition cut-off accessories along with the honda specific wiring harness.

Installation instructions - mostly clear install instructions. you do have to make some assumptions as they don't tell you what you're looking for in reference to your bike specific portion of the harness. If you were to just read the install instructions, you'd end up placing some splice clips into your tail lamps that aren't necessary. That being said, if you look at the wiring to your tail lamp/turn signals and then a look at the install harness, it's clear what plugs in where. You do have to place two splice clips on the turn signal wiring though.

Product - the alarm itself appears to be VERY tough... hard plastic with everything encased in epoxy. The plugs that go into the alarm have excellent weather resistent gaskets. The accessories are easy to install, basically plug and play.

Installation - Install of the base alarm is very easy, took me all of 30 minutes to install. With 10 minutes going to making sure I knew what wires I was dealing with and where to place the base alarm and the perimeter sensor. I have everything installed with the exception of the ignition disable accessory as I need to research what wire I want to cut. The ignition disable accessory required you to cut one of the following wires:

1. positive lead wire on fuel pump

2. positive lead wire on fuel injection system

3. positive wire that goes to the ignition fuse in fuse box

4. ground wire from ignition module

5. positive wire from ignition module to ignition coil

6. wire connected between the ignition module and engine stop button

I don't know enough yet to make a decision on which of these options has the easiest access and has the least potential for trouble.

Remote - the remote is a two-way pager that has signal up to 1/2 mile (YMMV).. in my neighborhood, it actuall worked up to about 3/4 of a mile. If the alarm is triggered, then it pages you and specifies what part of the alarm was triggered, perimetery, shock (bumped) or tilt (lifted off the kick stand for example)

Programming - I purchased the remote that is waterproof and shock resistant.. all of the programming (with the exception of the perimeter sensitivity) is programmed through the remote.. very easy.

Function - I armed it with the perimeter sensor on... pretty cool... if I get within about 12 inches of the bike, the alarm begins to chirp... if I stay within that perimeter the alarm will chirp faster until it eventually goes to full alarm and pages me. The shock alarm has five levels of adjustment, I have mine set on 3 and that seemed reasonable.. a person just bumping it won't set it off, but if it's bumped hard enough to cause it to even slightly lift off the kickstand the alarm triggers. Tilt is pretty dang sensitive.. the moment you lift it from kickstand or lift up on the front or back, the alarm triggers.

I'll have picks of the install in the next couple of days. Overall, I'm pleased. Now to figure out how I want to tie in the ignition kill portion.

OK, so here's the photos... still haven't had time to look at what I need to do in order to hook up the ignition kill switch.

Main.jpg.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

harness.jpg.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

splice.jpg.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

perimeter.jpg.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Thanks for a nice write-up.

I'm interested in installing the same alarm on my bike. BTW, where does the main 'body' of the alarm system end up mounting?

Thanks, I placed the main body of the alarm under the spine of the seat.. basically between where your owner's manual and the 'toolbag' are located. I'll take some photos tonight and post them if I get a chance...

Thanks,  I placed the main body of the alarm under the spine of the seat.. basically between where your owner's manual and the 'toolbag' are located.  I'll take some photos tonight and post them if I get a chance...

I've got the same setup without the ignition cut-off... from what I read it only gives you the ability to shut off the bike at a distance....

I too have the honda harness and it works like a charm !

• Member Contributer
Thanks,  I placed the main body of the alarm under the spine of the seat.. basically between where your owner's manual and the 'toolbag' are located.  I'll take some photos tonight and post them if I get a chance...

How much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?

How much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?

I purchased direct from them (http://scorpioalarms.com/) but don't remember what the total was with shipping.

I should have the photos for the install posted tomorrow evening... ended up being busier than I expected in the last few days.

I'm VERY pleased with the alarm... I did a test of the paging system to see how well it would function at my office (large brick building with a lot of steel) and it worked throughout the entire building.

I've got the same setup without the ignition cut-off... from what I read it only gives you the ability to shut off the bike at a distance....

I too have the honda harness and it works like a charm !

Actually, if the alarm is triggered, it disabled the bike from starting. I tested this to verify...

• 3 weeks later...

I just got one as well and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Range of the remote is pretty good and the installation was a breeze, but where's the flashing LED???

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I also installed the Scopio SR-i500 with perimiter sens.,anti hi-jack and battery back-up. I used the ground wire to the ign. kill switch for the anti hi-jack module. I tapped into the kill switch ground behind the R/H fairing. It is part of the large plug with the clear vinyl protective cover. It was very easy to do and to hide the wires along the R/H side of the engine and up the tail spar to the MCM.

I was disappointed as well to find no LED light for a visual deterrent so I purchased one from my local car audio shop and plan to install it myself as well. It is not hooked to the alarm but is activated when the key is shut off.

I am currently trying to find a +12V ignition source that is grounded when the key is off.

If anybody can help PLEASE reply.

I also installed the Scopio SR-i500 with perimiter sens.,anti hi-jack and battery back-up. I used the ground wire to the ign. kill switch for the anti hi-jack module. I tapped into the kill switch ground behind the R/H fairing. It is part of the large plug with the clear vinyl protective cover. It was very easy to do and to hide the wires along the R/H side of the engine and up the tail spar to the MCM.

I was disappointed as well to find no LED light for a visual deterrent so I purchased one from my local car audio shop and plan to install it myself as well. It is not hooked to the alarm but is activated when the key is shut off.

I am currently trying to find a +12V ignition source that is grounded when the key is off.

If anybody can help PLEASE reply.

If you're planning on adding any other accesories... I would get a fuse block (do a search, there's a bunch that many of us have used)... you can get some that have a combination of 'hot all the time' and 'ignition on' fuses and others that are strictly 'ignition on'... the advantage to doing this is that you only have to tap into ONE wire that is 'ignition on' (fuse block will use a relay and tie directly to the battery for it's power)... my 2 cents worth (although it may not be worth that much to you... lol)

• Member Contributer

The fuse block sounds like a good idea, hopefully I am done with accessories except maybe a radar detector but thats not a priority.

Do you know where I might find a 12v ignition source that is grounded when ignition is off? Would that be the same wire that I have hooked my ignition disable/ anti-hijack module to? I believe I have it hooked into the wire connected between the ignition module and the kill switch.

How would I test to see if I have the +12v ignition source that is grounded with engine off?

Thank you.

The fuse block sounds like a good idea, hopefully I am done with accessories except maybe a radar detector but thats not a priority.

Do you know where I might find a 12v ignition source that is grounded when ignition is off? Would that be the same wire that I have hooked my ignition disable/ anti-hijack module to? I believe I have it hooked into the wire connected between the ignition module and the kill switch.

How would I test to see if I have the +12v ignition source that is grounded with engine off?

Thank you.

If you use a 5 wire relay, the middle prong is typically hot when the switched source is off. PM me if you need one, I can make you a harness with one to your specs. It would also be included with the R/R Harness I sell, I can put the extra wire on for you, just let me know the length.

• Member Contributer

Im sorry I'm a little confused. Im trying to hook up a flashing led seperate from the scorpio alarm because the scorpio does not have an LED ouput. I purchased the VARAD flashing alarm LED which can be used with or without an alarm. To wire the VARAD LED without an alarm it says...

"RED: +12v constant or battery +"

"Yellow: +12v ignition(Grounded when the engine is off)"

"Black: Metal chassis ground"

"LED will activate when your ignition is in the off position"

So does that mean I can hook the yellow wire to ANY +12V ignition wire and it will be grounded when key is off?

Or, do I have to find a special wire that is grounded when key is off?

Just want to be clear before I cut something I shouldnt. Installing the alrm was easy, but I am a little confused now.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I just purchased this alarm for my bike. I hear so much good stuff about it. I just got it with the battery backup and perimeter sensor. I didn't do the engine cutoff. Anyways for 320$ and 25$ for the harness for the VFR and i got a hell of an alarm. Anyways... i love amazon.com.Love this site. It's so helpful on all the goodies i am getting for the bike.

• Member Contributer

edg,

I have the same alarm without the perimeter sensor and ignition cutoff and found that unless the pager was in a line-of-sight with the bike the 1/2 mile spec was a joke. I tested this out a number of times, when I was inside a building with the bike just outside in the parking lot (less than probably a couple hundred feet) and found that I could not get the alarm to chirp. What's more I found I couldn't get the alarm to chirp with the bike parked in a row of cars and me standing at the end of the row about 8 cars away from the bike. For me it always seemed like the paging system was sort of hit-or-miss. In the end I feel like I paid alot of money for a loud alarm that doesn't page me when it gets set off. Also it drains my battery in about 4 days without riding. This was just my experience though. I'm just curious to see if you encounter any of the same problems.

• 8 months later...

Who can help me with some tips to install the Scorpio alarm?

I mean, how and where to fix the base unit, where to find the turn signal and tail light wires?

I've got the honda harness too.

Thank you in advance.

Archived