Silicone glue for heated grips???

Beck

Has anyone ever tried glueing their grips on to Symtec or similar grip heaters using silicone glue, instead of the manufacturer's recommended epoxy.

Using epoxy just sounds too permanent and messy when it come to have to remove the rubber grips when you have to replace them because of wear.

High temp silicone glue sounds like the ticket, but I have no idea how well it will bond to gel grips like Progrips. I also think silicone glue should also be easy to clean off to prepare the surface for new grips.

I think i need to do something about my throttle grip that is starting to twist.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Has anyone ever tried glueing their grips on to Symtec or similar grip heaters using silicone glue, instead of the manufacturer's recommended epoxy.

Using epoxy just sounds too permanent and messy when it come to have to remove the rubber grips when you have to replace them because of wear.

High temp silicone glue sounds like the ticket, but I have no idea how well it will bond to gel grips like Progrips. I also think silicone glue should also be easy to clean off to prepare the surface for new grips.

I think i need to do something about my throttle grip that is starting to twist.

Beck

95 VFR

No glue is needed. As long as it is clean and dry it will stick great.

Just use rubbing alcohol or similar as lubricant to apply and remove grips along with some compressed air to quickly dry the alcohol.

No glue is needed. As long as it is clean and dry it will stick great.

Just use rubbing alcohol or similar as lubricant to apply and remove grips along with some compressed air to quickly dry the alcohol.

I have no glue in there right now and it is twisting. a few sessions with the heat on seems to make it twist even worse.

Any feedback on using silicone glue out there..........anyone???

Beck

95 VFR

I used Honda Grip Cement on my grip heaters when I installed them about a year ago. To date, they are rock solid. I've used other brands of grip glue, mostly on my dirt bikes, but I prefer the Honda product as it has a bit longer "working" time.

No need to go the epoxy route.

• Member Contributer
I have no glue in there right now and it is twisting. a few sessions with the heat on seems to make it twist even worse.

Any feedback on using silicone glue out there..........anyone???

Beck

95 VFR

Did you clean the inside of the grip surface and the bar surface before installation? I have never had one slide that was clean.

Guest Joebroni

When I removed my grips, my Honda Bond came off super easy. I just rolled it all off with my fingers. After much cleaning, I reinstalled the grips with some Pennzoil lube to ease it on, and after it dried, its never budged. Ive since rode over 1k with it, in almost all 90+ degree weather, and never had a problem.

Did you clean the inside of the grip surface and the bar surface before installation? I have never had one slide that was clean.

Yup, cleaned it real good! the grip still twisted on me, not too bad so far, but I'm sure it will get worse as I start using the heat again when the chilly weather comes back. I might just try Honda Grip glue but I still want to know if silicone glue will work.............Maybe I'll just do it one day and tell you guys how it goes.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived