Little tire purchase help please

oyama

• Member Contributer

Well, the Texas Mac memorial ride is coming and I just noticed that I desperately need two new tires. I went to two local dealerships to buy a set of new tires, but neither dealer had them in stock. They could order but that would take at least 5 days. I called many other tire places, but nobody has a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada or Dunlop 220 or Metzeler Z6 Road Tec or Michelin Pilot Road in stock either. I tried online at www.ronayers.com but it would take 9 days to deliver the tires!

Do you guys know any store in Daytona Beach or central Florida who would have tires in stock? Is there any web site that can deliver faster than a week?

Thank you!

Useful replies are greatly appreciated. smile.gif

I know Competition Cycles in Ft Lauderdale have lots of tires in stock, but it's too far for you unless you want to drive 4 hours.

• Member Contributer
Well, the Texas Mac memorial ride is coming and I just noticed that I desperately need two new tires. I went to two local dealerships to buy a set of new tires, but neither dealer had them in stock. They could order but that would take at least 5 days. I called many other tire places, but nobody has a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada or Dunlop 220 or Metzeler Z6 Road Tec or Michelin Pilot Road in stock either. I tried online at www.ronayers.com but it would take 9 days to deliver the tires!

Do you guys know any store in Daytona Beach or central Florida who would have tires in stock? Is there any web site that can deliver faster than a week?

Thank you!

Useful replies are greatly appreciated.  smile.gif

Southwest Moto can have them to you in a couple of work days. Is there no Cycle Gear shop in your area? They seem to have a lot more inventory than most places. I know there's one in Tampa, not sure where else, though.

If you want to make it a day thing, take the wheels off your bike, drive down to Ft. Laud, swap tires (they mount for free), check out the chicks (not the fruit cups) and drive back up. If you ride they charge to unmount the wheels off the bike. I bought my Pilot Powers from them and they had all kinds of tires in stock (including Qualifiers) you call and ask before you venture off.

http://www.compcyclecenter.com

• Member Contributer

Oyama,

Here are the Cycle Gear locations. Looks like there are some on the east coast not too far from Daytona.

Cycle Gear

• Member Contributer

Oyama,

During Bike Week I went to Daytona Fun Machines and had a rear Z6 installed. They also had the front in stock (at the time). Prolly cost a little more than mail order, but if ya gotta have 'em now...

• Member Contributer

My tire search has ended. I will go to Orlando to a Cycle Gear store tomorrow morning. They have a set of Dunlop 220. $110 for the front and $136 for the rear tire, $15 for mounting (each). All together $276+tax.

It might have been cheaper online but then I would have to wait and find a tire mounting place. At the dealerships the tires would have been around the same price (after 5 days waiting) but the mounting would have been $50! If I bring my own tire the mounting is $75 each. Wow.

rushhour

That is funny. I was in Ft Lauderdale two weeks ago. Why did not I think about tires then? By the way, thanks for the nice detailed plan!

The Big Sur, teleskier

Tires unlimited and Southwest Moto tire might have been good but if I can have it now for $20 more...

kwb377

I tried Daytona Fun Machines first as they are located a mile away. But the mounting price was a little bit too much.

tbzep

Thanks for the link. Cycle Gear in Orlando won.

Thanks for everybody who helped me. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I know that JoeW has PPower in stock (was about to pickup a set before the trip). I have a tire changer and could install tires for beer, but Tampa is pretty far away from you.

• Member Contributer
kwb377

I tried Daytona Fun Machines first as they are located a mile away. But the mounting price was a little bit too much.

I was going to get mine at Cycle Gear when I returned home from Daytona, but I was worried that my rear tire was too far toasted to make it back (didn't want to get stranded with a tire showing cord on a Sunday evening in the middle of nowhere <_< ). I think they charged me $39 for mounting, and the total for tire/mounting/tax was around $190...and they were actually cheaper than two other dealers (Daytona BMW wanted $169 for the Z6 and $50 for mounting :beer: ).

Guest VFRROBIN

Great thread. and perfect timing too! i found a nail in my rear tire. i'll be at cycle gear on wed. should i go michelen or metzlers?

R :unsure:

• Member Contributer

OK, finnaly I have new rubbers on my bike. I got Dunlop 220 on the front and rear wheels. I ended up paying $306.65 US dollars. Here are the invoice details.

$109.99 - Dunlop 220 120/70-17

$135.99 - Dunlop 220 180/55-17

$ 15.00 - tire mounting and ballancing

$ 15.00 - tire mounting and ballancing

$ 1.99 - rubber valves stem short

$ 1.99 - rubber valves stem short

$ 1.00 - Florida enviromental fee

$ 1.00 - Florida enviromental fee

$ 2.99 - Tire disposal fee

$ 2.99 - Tire disposal fee

$287.94 - Total

$ 18.71 - 6.5% tax

$306.65 - GrandTotal

Now, I just have to make sure I will not drop the bike at the first few turns.

I was amazed how much stuff Cycle Gear had in their store! Thay had a bunch of leather suits, many boots, some helmets, lot of gloves, body armors. (Finally I was able to touch the Icon one) I was surprised that they also had Daines stuff. A few months agothe closest official dealer was in Miami!

All in all, I am happy with my purchase.

Guest VFRROBIN

oyama , got my pilots put on today. out the door was $330. for the michelins. they really took good care of me. was in and out in 1 1/2 hrs.

i recommend cycle gear in Sanford Fl.

Robin :D

• Member Contributer

You guys should have come over to my place. I just mounted up a set of Pilot Powers last night for $240, including tax and everything.

Guest VFRROBIN
You guys should have come over to my place. I just mounted up a set of Pilot Powers last night for $240, including tax and everything.

jeremy, by time i add fuel costs, beer(or pepsi) costs,and the super supreme pizzas, i think i'd have spent the same amount.

but i do thank you for the belated offer! i will say this after about 10 miles of careful,slow riding. the pilots seem way different to the BT010 i had. the bridgestones weren't worn, just had a nail in the rear. i guess the profiles are waaay different.

see you in Robbinville

Robin

• Member Contributer

I haven't pushed these too hard yet, only about 40 miles on them, but down to about a hair sized chicken strip. I think these turn in even better than the M3s, have to see about mileage and ultimate grip.

I am going to wear a nice big flat spot in them tomorrow riding to Atlanta

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the offer. I might come over a few thousand miles later. smile.gif

Actually, I was planning to go over there (wife's parents live in St Pete) but, plan changed I got stuck at the very east coast.

• Member Contributer

did you change the stems?

what happened to the old tires?

how did you balance them?

if they crash because of some unknown problem are you insured for you and them?

CYCLEGEAR ROCKS FOR MANY REASONS!

• Member Contributer
did you change the stems?

what happened to the old tires?

how did you balance them?

if they crash because of some unknown problem are you insured for you and them?

CYCLEGEAR ROCKS FOR MANY REASONS!

I don't do the stems every time, they are cheap. I put a pair of old tires out next to my trash on occasion and the garbage man takes them. I have a balancer (and adapter for VFR wheel), they would be changing their own tires with my assistance, and if someone wanted to sue me for this, I wish them luck in court.

It would be an inconvenience for me to do this as it would take away from my personal time which I value, but I offer to help out anyone anytime I can and hope that other maybe one day might do the same for me.

• Member Contributer
I don't do the stems every time, they are cheap. I put a pair of old tires out next to my trash on occasion and the garbage man takes them. I have a balancer (and adapter for VFR wheel), they would be changing their own tires with my assistance, and if someone wanted to sue me for this, I wish them luck in court.

It would be an inconvenience for me to do this as it would take away from my personal time which I value, but I offer to help out anyone anytime I can and hope that other maybe one day might do the same for me.

i certainly agree and hope that you can see there are reasons that sometimes a little more money can give piece of mind. and yeah i know it also takes all the fun out of it. i too offer any and all help to any cycle rider in need. we seem to all be here for each other, but sometimes have a different point of view. like i love my bikes color yellow and i can plainly see the color of your bike IN MY REAR VIEW MIRROR! (Very Funny Retort?)

I haven't pushed these too hard yet, only about 40 miles on them, but down to about a hair sized chicken strip. I think these turn in even better than the M3s, have to see about mileage and ultimate grip.

I am going to wear a nice big flat spot in them tomorrow riding to Atlanta

PP's are the Sh*t IMO. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Want piece of mind? Go watch the person mounting and balancing your tires :lol:

After having 6-8 tires mounted at one shop I was chatting with the mechanic, and he mentioned how he was trying to get the owner to purchase a large cone so he could balance VFR rear wheels. :joystick:

Kevin: I am starting to think that Michelin may be sponsoring you in some way.

Archived