So how do you have your radar detector mounted?

Guest Jerry_75_Guy

Guest Jerry_75_Guy

Howdy. If all goes well, tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of an immaculate '01 VFR (adding it to the '01 R1100RT Beemer currently in the garage).

I've always used a V1 radar detector, mounted on a shelf behind the windshield, to keep me out of trouble, and it's paid for it's self many times over.

I'd like to find a good way to set up a radar mount for the VFR; I'm sure I'll feel naked without it on my new (to me, anyway) bike.

So what's the conventional wisdom? What are the most popular/effective ways people here have addressed this issue?

Thanks in advance!

I put mine in my tank bag. It runs through a Radar OverRide into my Chatterbox. The OverRide unit allows my Ipod to be heard unless the Radar sounds, then it cuts the music. There is a volume control in the unit that is set and forget for the volume of the Radar, I can then adjust the volume of the Ipod with the Airclick you see mounted on the clutch reservoir. It all gets power through a Powerlet in the stem, so I can unplug it and walk away with everything in a pretty small package. I usually cover the detector with a map, leaving just the LEDs so I can see them. Lots of ways, that?s mine!

gallery_2543_422_138000.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0304.jpg

Well that's all fine and dandy for the gringos down south, but up here in Canada, radar detectors are illegal sooooo...

Any canuck has a way of hiding them real well??

:salesman:

Guest Claude
Well that's all fine and dandy for the gringos down south, but up here in Canada, radar detectors are illegal sooooo...

Any canuck has a way of hiding them real well??

:salesman:

Actually, I am in Canada. Radar detectors are OK in SK and in AB.

When I ride to MB to visit familly I put mine in the map pocket of my tankbag. Covered with a well placed map no one notices it. Make sure your map/bag don't cover the sensor end of the detector...

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) about guys mounting the detectors inside the sidepanels of the bike, pointed forward, and then running wires into a headset like VFRbill is talking about. That would seem an almost invisible way of runing it for you guys where detectors are illegal. Even if you get stopped, your earphones or chatterbox are running to a walkman or whatever, not to a radar detector.

When I ride to MB to visit familly I put mine in the map pocket of my tankbag. Covered with a well placed map no one notices it. Make sure your map/bag don't cover the sensor end of the detector...

They're also legal in B.C.

PG.

Guest red91vfr

You have to watch yourself in Manitoba because if cops catch you with a radar they will give you a ticket and confiscate your radar.

You have to watch yourself in Manitoba because if cops catch you with a radar they will give you a ticket and confiscate your radar.

Same thing in Qu?bec... I think the fine is something like $900... sad.gif

• Member Contributer

I went with the Bel 975R Remote and it keeps my butt out of jail...

beltronics_bel-975r.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I machined my own antenna box out of Delrin and then cut my

fairing to make it fit without interfering with the fender...

gallery_3131_51_88776.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I machined a special bracket to hold the remote display over tach... I wanted a nice

sanitary look...

RC45RemoteRadar.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

With out a detector I racked up 7 tickets in 4 years... but

with the detector I've been spared about 25 tickets with the Bel

957R except for one... that was the day my detector went off and

Mr. CHP had me painted at 66 in a 35 because he laid in ambush 90

degrees from the road and employed deadly digital Ka... Ca Ching

$350.00 please... you'd think I'd learn not to speed...

I went with the Bel 975R Remote and it keeps my butt out of jail...

beltronics_bel-975r.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I machined my own antenna box out of Delrin and then cut my

fairing to make it fit without interfering with the fender...

gallery_3131_51_88776.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I machined a special bracket to hold the remote display over tach... I wanted a nice

sanitary look...

RC45RemoteRadar.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

With out a detector I racked up 7 tickets in 4 years... but

with the detector I've been spared about 25 tickets with the Bel

957R except for one... that was the day my detector went off and

Mr. CHP had me painted at 66 in a 35 because he laid in ambush 90

degrees from the road and employed deadly digital Ka... Ca Ching

$350.00 please... you'd think I'd learn not to speed...

Here in Virginia detecters are illegel also. The locals shouldn't..but the state have detector detectors. I was wondering if yours are invisible (to detector detectors) or what are your recommendations? I will need a remote antenna such as yours...but the detector itself will have to be under something.

My wondeful wife gave me a radar detector as part of an anniversary gift. Not having any idea what is what with detectors, she just grabbed a whistler model. But stated that it was just a token gift and I should decide what type model I like to have and we'd exchange it. But she won't spend $300 on some silly radar. So I have about $100 to go toward a better model.

So looking around, I'm finding the V1, the Rx65 and the 8500 to be the top rated equipment. To me, the V1 is too $$$. So I am looking mostly at the passport 8500.

Anyone know how much better the x50 is over the original 8500? I think $150-$180 for a 8500 would be a decent deal, but not clear on how it compared to the x50. The x50 is going to add another $100, is it worth it? Can a 8500 be flashed to function as a x50, or at least upgraded to POP?

So, any opinions on the best route to take if I'm looking to stay in the 150-200 range? My conclusion is a used 8500.

• Member Contributer

Here in Virginia detecters are illegel also.  The locals shouldn't..but the state have detector detectors.  I was wondering if yours are invisible (to detector detectors) or what are your recommendations?  I will need a remote antenna such as yours...but the detector itself will have to be under something.   

Mercy... detector detectors??? I don't know how my Bel would fair in that case... but since some states view detectors as illegal is the one of the reason why I like to blend

mine into the bike... so when they ask "what's that Oh Shit meter for boy?"... I just tell

the truth... "Sir, it sounds off if I'm going too fast". they usually nod "righty so on a

bike like this"

If my detector were right out in the open they might take it... but since it's built in... I

think it's too much trouble...

Guest Claude

When I got caught near Brandon they gave me a 300$ fine and gave me the detector back as they're legal in my home province.

(It was a moment of stupidity while travelling with the cage - left it hanging on the windshield when I stopped for gas.)

Guest red91vfr
When I got caught near Brandon they gave me a 300$ fine and gave me the detector back as they're legal in my home province.

(It was a moment of stupidity while travelling with the cage - left it hanging on the windshield when I stopped for gas.)

Ya you gotta watch out on the #1 Highway. They like to set up speed traps there. We passed one tonight on our first ride out. Close to twenty over but thankfully he didn't look twice. If you don't mind me asking where in Manitoba do you usually go. It sounds like you pass right by me(I am in Portage.)

I found a deal on a 8500. Now I need to add another mount and find a way to mix the 8500 with my XM. I have a Roady2 mounted by Ram mount to the top tank mounts, hard wired to the taillight. I have a stem mounted powerlet that I plan to use for the radar. Not sure what type of mount I'll use, but probably a Ram mount. Looks like they have a magnetic type that would work nicely. Powerlet has the plug I need. I just need a way to mix the audio from the 8500 with the XM output. Anyone have an idea? I currently use modified skull candy ear buds for the XM. Is there a mixer that will allow both units to connect to one set of earbuds? Any downfalls? Will it lower the volume of the XM? Is it possible to have it drop the XM signal when it receives a signal from the radar?

Guest MinnMarker

8500 in the tank bag.

You don't need it exposed for radar.

Laser? None of them help with Laser no matter where they're mounted.

Wired into the earphones along with the MP3 player :music:

Re the X50. My understanding is that the basic radar detection circuitry is identical to the 8500 - just a few extra bells and whistles.

Whatever you get make sure it has a jack for remote signaling or sound and that you can rig it to run off the bike battery.

Archived