So how do you have your radar detector mounted?

Guest Jerry_75_Guy

• Member Contributer

One note; none of them are waterproof. Ask me how I know.... I used to mount mine on a small alluminum plate bent to fit the inside of the wind screen and bolted on. Velcro held the detector to the plate. Got in a small rain shower and with just enough water to get the top wet it died. Bel x65 was new, sent back and Bel much to their credit fixed under warrenty. Died again and returned to be fixed again when they replaced the antenna and has been working ever since. Now I keep it in map pocket in tank bag and small rains dont seem to bother it. Heavy rain it goes in side case. Last ticket I got was when it was in for repair...

I found a deal on a 8500.  Now I need to add another mount and find a way to mix the 8500 with my XM.  I have a Roady2 mounted by Ram mount to the top tank mounts, hard wired to the taillight.  I have a stem mounted powerlet that I plan to use for the radar.  Not sure what type of mount I'll use, but probably a Ram mount.  Looks like they have a magnetic type that would work nicely.  Powerlet has the plug I need.  I just need a way to mix the audio from the 8500 with the XM output.  Anyone have an idea?  I currently use modified skull candy ear buds for the XM.  Is there a mixer that will allow both units to connect to one set of earbuds?  Any downfalls?  Will it lower the volume of the XM?  Is it possible to have it drop the XM signal when it receives a signal from the radar?

Here is what I use, but they have went up a LOT since I got mine. I think I paid about $55.00 last year.

Radar Override

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=KT-ROR

It works as described, but it goes through a 9V battery every couple of months.

Archived