Sargent Saddle: Initial Impressions

Guest FiGGaH

Guest FiGGaH

I used my Sargent Saddle today for the first time on my 2004 VFR. I commute about 115-120 miles each day.

I don't know how I lived without this seat for the past two years! I've put 35k miles on my bike with the stocker and man alive the difference in comfort is incredible. Bumps are absorbed better, my back isn't as sore from riding.

The stocker hurts my prostate and I didn't think that the Sargent would make much of a difference, but it really does. I still would like to have it altered to account for prostate relief, but it's still much better over the stocker.

I'm very happy with my purchase and it is well worth the price.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 767fixer

i agree....but id like to trade mine for a corbin. corbin is willing to build the seat up for a lot less hassle than sargent will. i need about one inch added for leg room

• Member Contributer

:beer: Got mine with a silver welt...really sets off the asphalt color of my bike.

One negative thing that I forgot to add. They call the fabric "Griptex" when it should really be called Sliptex. I now slip slide around the seat so i'm gonna get some of that tank grip stuff. The sarget feels a bit taller to me, I dunno how much it really is though.

• Member Contributer
One negative thing that I forgot to add. They call the fabric "Griptex" when it should really be called Sliptex.  I now slip slide around the seat so i'm gonna get some of that tank grip stuff. The sarget feels a bit taller to me, I dunno how much it really is though.

I have the 'Carbon FX' but I don't think it feels any more slippery than stock. Height feels about the same as stock to me.

I am thinking of getting a seat so I can actually enjoy several hundred mile days. I wish I could sit on one to try it out. What, specifically is different from the stocker? Is it softer, wider, more contoured,...? How does it take the pressure off the butt bones?

Eh..no thanks...my sliptex is slippery enough. :joystick:

I prefer a slick seat for my type of riding (twisties), It makes it far easier to slide my weight (a$$) around when rippen twisties. Sticky seats require me to lift my a$$ before I can shift my weight requiring more effort.

I love my Sargent too!

I am thinking of getting a seat so I can actually enjoy several hundred mile days. I wish I could sit on one to try it out. What, specifically is different from the stocker? Is it softer, wider, more contoured,...? How does it take the pressure off the butt bones?

I knew a guy on a Harley that kept buying different seats trying to find one that was still comfortable after 100 miles, finally he decided he just had a 100 mile a$$ instead... +1.gif

• Member Contributer

The questions you ask don't really have general answers. Seats vary. Each person has a different anatomy.

The only real way to know these answers is to sit on the seat and ride a while.

General things. Corbins are heavier. Their foam is slightly harder than Sargent. It will take a while to 'break in'. Their customer service is pretty good if you can go to their factory. If you cannot do that, it is worse than a crap shoot.

Sargent seats are way lighter. They have a neat little compartment underneath to keep stuff. You can buy foam from them if you want to modifiy the seat. Modifications are actually pretty easy to do if you have the tools and experience.

There are usually enough seats for sale that it is possible to buy one, try it and sell it again if you don't like it. Even if it costs a few bucks, it is worth it. You can try changing the shape with a towel or similar while you are testing it.

I find that VFR seats all slope forward too much for me. I don't like fighting to keep away from the tank, so I modify them by raising the front and/or lowering the back. Sometimes I do both.

I modified the stock seat. That helped but the foam was too soft for my preference.

Then I got a Sargent. As it came, it was better but still too much forward slope. I bought some foam from Sargent and took that and the seat to my favorite local upholstery shop. A couple of hours later, I had a nearly perfect seat.

Then I still wanted to try some more stuff. I bought a Corbin. I didn't like it at all. Way too much forward slope. Corbins are more difficult to modify than Sargents.

That escapade cost me about $20.00. I would have happily paid $200. to stop the pain that I had while taking a trip on the stock seat. Actually I bought a Sargent on the internet while I was on that trip.

That is what I can tell you about seats. I am sure that others will have other information.

I knew a guy on a Harley that kept buying different seats trying to find one that was still comfortable after 100 miles, finally he decided he just had a 100 mile a$$ instead... :idea3:

Nah, he had a hundred-mile bike:-)

Coot

The questions you ask don't really have general answers.  Seats vary.  Each person has a different anatomy.

The only real way to know these answers is to sit on the seat and ride a while.

General things.  Corbins are heavier.  Their foam is slightly harder than Sargent.  It will take a while to 'break in'.  Their customer service is pretty good if you can go to their factory.  If you cannot do that, it is worse than a crap shoot.

Sargent seats are way lighter.  They have a neat little compartment underneath to keep stuff.  You can buy foam from them if you want to modifiy the seat.  Modifications are actually pretty easy to do if you have the tools and experience.

There are usually enough seats for sale that it is possible to buy one, try it and sell it again if you don't like it.  Even if it costs a few bucks, it is worth it.  You can try changing the shape with a towel or similar while you are testing it.

I find that VFR seats all slope forward too much for me.  I don't like fighting to keep away from the tank, so I modify them by raising the front and/or lowering the back.  Sometimes I do both.

I modified the stock seat.  That helped but the foam was too soft for my preference.

Then I got a Sargent.  As it came, it was better but still too much forward slope.  I bought some foam from Sargent and took that and the seat to my favorite local upholstery shop.  A couple of hours later, I had a nearly perfect seat.

Then I still wanted to try some more stuff.  I bought a Corbin.  I didn't like it at all.  Way too much forward slope.  Corbins are more difficult to modify than Sargents.

That escapade cost me about $20.00.  I would have happily paid $200. to stop the pain that I had while taking a trip on the stock seat.  Actually I bought a Sargent on the internet while I was on that trip.

That is what I can tell you about seats.  I am sure that others will have other information.

Thanks for the thorough response. I agree that the forward slope is a bit too much. I got an Air Hawk seat cushion a few days ago and thought it was great at first, but now I don't think I like it. It really pushes me forward and I feel too high and kind of detatched from the bike. I guess I will give Sargent a try.

It is frustrating that after several hours of riding, I start to really feel fast and smooth and in tune with the bike, but then my butt hurts so much that I can't enjoy it.

Thanks for the thorough response. I agree that the forward slope is a bit too much. I got an Air Hawk seat cushion a few days ago and thought it was great at first, but now I don't think I like it. It really pushes me forward and I feel too high and kind of detatched from the bike. I guess I will give Sargent a try.

It is frustrating that after several hours of riding, I start to really feel fast and smooth and in tune with the bike, but then my butt hurts so much that I can't enjoy it.

Good answer indeed! Sorry I saw your post when I didn't have a moment to respond properly, and now I just remembered!

To me, the Sargent is flatter and firmer which I think makes a big difference. It does still push me towards the tank a bit, but I'm getting some of that tank grip stuff that another member here reviewed to help with the slope and the slipperyness of the Sliptex. Overall I'm really happy with the Sargent after having put over a thousand miles on it.

Good answer indeed! Sorry I saw your post when I didn't have a moment to respond properly, and now I just remembered!

To me, the Sargent is flatter and firmer which I think makes a big difference. It does still push me towards the tank a bit, but I'm getting some of that tank grip stuff that another member here reviewed to help with the slope and the slipperyness of the Sliptex. Overall I'm really happy with the Sargent after having put over a thousand miles on it.

This link is to the Rick Mayer seat website and this is the picture of the Interceptor seat he makes. Looks like you wouldn't slide forward on this one.

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/...Interceptor.jpg

This link is to the Rick Mayer seat website and this is the picture of the Interceptor seat he makes.  Looks like you wouldn't slide forward on this one.

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/...Interceptor.jpg

Once I'm able to grip the tank (which I've just ordered the tank grips) I won't mind the forward slope.

That Rick Mayer seat looks like a bucket seat. It looks like it would be hard / uncomfortable to hang off. Probably pretty darn comfortable for slabbing it, though!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest abrown

I used my Sargent Saddle today for the first time on my 2004 VFR. I commute about 115-120 miles each day.

I don't know how I lived without this seat for the past two years! I've put 35k miles on my bike with the stocker and man alive the difference in comfort is incredible. Bumps are absorbed better, my back isn't as sore from riding.

The stocker hurts my prostate and I didn't think that the Sargent would make much of a difference, but it really does. I still would like to have it altered to account for prostate relief, but it's still much better over the stocker.

Hi

Would you happen to have any photos? I feel on my bike, also an '04, that I slide into the tank. Did you get the Sargent "World Seat" or did you have them make any special alterations? Whatever details you can provide will be very helpful. You can contact me directly at this address: anthbrown@gmail.com

currious, has anyone revamped a stock seat with the foam that BLS used on his RC45.

tooslow,  out.

Bot sure, but I have a sargent seat also and have yet to ride the bike any extended period of time (2+ hours) with it on. Initial comfort is much improved.

IMO: Modifying stock seat / swapping foam is just simply not worth it. The time and effort along with money is a huge waste. A sargent seat is pricy to some, but for those of us who wish not to reach maximum points of frustration modifying a stock part this seat is terrific. Buy it and throw it on, that simple.

Hi

Would you happen to have any photos? I feel on my bike, also an '04, that I slide into the tank. Did you get the Sargent "World Seat" or did you have them make any special alterations? Whatever details you can provide will be very helpful. You can contact me directly at this address: anthbrown@gmail.com

I don't have any photos of it. I do not know whether I have a World Seat or not. I did not have custom made at all or any alterations.

After putting a couple thousand miles or so on the Sargent, I'm really really happy with it. It's definately one of my favorite upgrades thus far.

Guest DangerMonkey
I feel on my bike, also an '04, that I slide into the tank.  Did you get the Sargent "World Seat" or did you have them make any special alterations?  Whatever details you can provide will be very helpful.
I also slid into my tank with the stocker and it drove me nuts. I bought the off-the-shelf (no mods to it) Sargent VFR World Sport seat and it solved the problem.

Sargent 6th gen VFR World Sport Seat

I too slid into the tank with the stock seat. I just received my Sargent earlier this week and the sliding into the tank is gone. I had the seat covered with CarbonFX which is really nice. I had heard how slippery the Griptex and I'm happy with my decision so far. I've only ridden about 100 miles on it so far so a real will be this weekend on the 300+ mile trek.

• Member Contributer

To comment on what some have said.

Corbin customer service sucks to say the least.

Sargent seats are great.

I too prefer to "slide" a bit in saddle so I don't have to raise up to hang my butt off in the twisties.

Mayer too has bad customer service. Never returned my calls or emails. Talked to several others who have also had very bad experience with him.

Archived