touring

tjclyde

To all of my fellow veefeers who ride with thier ladys.

Whenever I take my wife for a ride she ends up sliding around on the seat so much that I either get my nuts crushed at the stop signs, or she feels like she's going to slide off of the back of the bike.

I plan on buying a Corbin seat with a backrest for her.

My questions are,

do I buy the biggest backrest that Corbin has to offer?

the one that is big enough to plaster a billboard on the back of, or get the smallest one?

How big is "big enough"?

Any ideas?

Does the Corbin seat give you more "grip" so to speak?

And last but not least,when riding, do you guys keep it real slow,medium,fast?

It's not like I'm trying to race every where I go, I just want my wife and I to be comfortable.

Not to seem like a sissy or anything,but I don't think I'll have the "balls" to ride like this much longer.

Once agian thanks for letting me ramble on and on and on and...you get the idea.

Thanks! TJ :thumbsup:

Guest 767fixer

my sargent keeps the lady more securely placed, but she has also learned to take her hands off my waist and push off of the tank when coming to stops. gotten to the point i dont really notice her back there other than the boobs pressing against me.....(I need to take her riding!)

• Member Contributer
Do I buy the biggest backrest that Corbin has to offer?

I think they only have one size

Does the Corbin seat give you more "grip"

The seat is flatter, so there is a little less tendency to slide forward under braking but I wouldn't say the seat itself is grippier

When riding, do you guys keep it real slow,medium,fast?It's not like I'm trying to race every where I go, I just want my wife and I to be comfortable.

If you want to be comfortable, save the 'fast' stuff for solo riding, and practice braking earlier and smoother. Try asking your wife to squeeze your hips with her legs when you are braking, and to watch for traffic/lights et al so she knows when you intend to slow down.

• Member Contributer

the one that is big enough to plaster a billboard on the back of, or get the smallest one?

How big is "big enough"?

Any ideas?

They do have a few sizes and styles, but they are all over priced. My advice, make your own, you can make it your size and style. See my thread Make your backrest.

• Member Contributer

If you are happy with the stock seat and are only looking at a Corbin for back support for your lady, you might want to consider a GIVI Top Box with a back rest. Dollar for dollar you will probably spend the same if not a little less and your lady should be double happy. A back rest to stop her from sliding off and some where to store her "stuff". smile.gif As for stopping, 767fixer has it right, hands on the tank will take pressure off the boys.

I have a GIVI to box with a back rest pad on it. Works well, and the top box stores all the extra items that a woman "must have" with her when we go out. We also have an intercom (Autocom) which is handy to give hints on what I'm going to do. What SAFE-T says about observation is very true.

Guest Waterboy333
If you are happy with the stock seat and are only looking at a Corbin for back support for your lady, you might want to consider a GIVI Top Box with a back rest.  Dollar for dollar you will probably spend the same if not a little less and  your lady should be double happy.  A back rest to stop her from sliding off and some where to store her "stuff". smile.gif  As for stopping, 767fixer has it right, hands on the tank will take pressure off the boys.

I was just about to say that a Givi top case would work really well. Order it with the little back pad. Does your year VFR have the grab handles? That helps out too. What I have done on all of my past bike seats is actually take off the covering and shave the seat foam down. When I first got the VFR, I noticed that my feet were not flat on the ground at a stop. :blink: So like my other bike seats I took the cover off the seat and shaped the seat for my butt to sit in it better. Not only did I get to put my feet down on the ground, it actually lowered my riding position. Kind of like getting bar risers at the same time. So what I would try to do is cup your wifes pad to fit her rear. This way you can get a custom fit for her. I had to take my wifes seat down quite a bit....that little bublble of hers doesn't slide around at all now! :D

Guest Waterboy333

It's not like I'm trying to race every where I go, I just want my wife and I to be comfortable.

Not to seem like a sissy or anything,but I don't think I'll have the "balls" to ride like this much longer.

Once agian thanks for letting me ramble on and on and on and...you get the idea.

Thanks!  TJ :thumbsup:

About the speed thing....keep it real. Especially if your lady is on the back. You are lucky that you have a lady that likes to be on the back. My wife and I used to ride quite a bit until I went down on my GSXR-750. After seeing me in the hospital for a week, she said she would never get back on it again. Bought a cruiser and got her riding on the back of that.....slowly. Hasn't been on the bikes much lately. So make sure you don't screw it up. Don't push it too fast, it's not worth it. You'te not being a sissy. :thumbsup:

Yup be glad you have her on the back at all, hands on the tank is a

great tip worked for us, for her its all about knee grip like horse

back riding,teach passenger about maintaining center of gravity.

Hey, the other day I noticed on ebay that theres these slip things that go over the pillion seat to add grip for the passenger. I thought about getting it for my fiance, but she didn't really think it was needed and I since I don't have much of a problem so far I rather save my money. It looks like it would help you though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest abrown

If you are happy with the stock seat and are only looking at a Corbin for back support for your lady, you might want to consider a GIVI Top Box with a back rest. Dollar for dollar you will probably spend the same if not a little less and your lady should be double happy. A back rest to stop her from sliding off and some where to store her "stuff". smile.gif As for stopping, 767fixer has it right, hands on the tank will take pressure off the boys.

Hi

A fellow Calgarian here. I size Givi top case did you get? What dealership? If you can provide details it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I got the Corbin seat because it has the available backrest, I got the open style as it seems to me to less noticable but still provide that sense of security. I do feel better when my 11 year old daughter is on the back with it in place. Corbin does offer different sizes of backrests, choose the one that you like. Yes the are overpriced, but they are well made and very easy to install.

gallery_2434_526_673770.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Whenever I take my wife for a ride she ends up sliding around on the seat so much that I either get my nuts crushed at the stop signs, or she feels like she's going to slide off of the back of the bike.

This afternoon, after having my new VFR for 2 weeks, I finally got enough nerve to test the ABS. I had that problem without even having a passenger. After a few all out stops in a row, I was a bit sore.

To all of my fellow veefeers who ride with thier ladys.

I plan on buying a Corbin seat with a backrest for her.

My questions are,

How big is "big enough"?

Any ideas?

Does the Corbin seat give you more "grip" so to speak?

Thanks!  TJ :thumbsup:

1. Dont ever armorall the seat...I did on my 84 model and my wife slid off the back when i took off from a stop sign..LOL

I have been looking at the backrests for the VFR and there is someone on this site who made his own and he had pictures of the brackets he made and it looked good.

• Member Contributer

We ride 2 up quite often. I have found the Corbin to be much more comfortable because of the shape for myself (no sliding up against the tank) and less sliding forward by the passenger. She didn't notice much difference though and was happy with either seat. I plan to make or get a backrest at some point.

Archived