CBR F4 mirrors on 5th gen VFR

EarthTones

• Member Contributer

I recently came into a pair of used CBR F4 mirrors. As many have pointed out the bolt spacing (40mm) is too small for my 99 VFR (50 mm). However, I noticed that the mounting bracket is held on by a 6mm x 15 mm allen bolt, and this part looks similar to the y2k post.

If I could find a set of brackets from a wrecked pair of y2k mirrors, could I replace the bracket on these F4 mirrors and call it good? The post is 6mm thick where its squeezed by the bolt.

Is this the same thickness the as y2k mirrors? (It's hard to tell from photos)

The posts seem to be a little shorter and at a slightly lower angle, but looks like it could work pretty good. I appreciate your help! java script:emoticon(':blink:')

smilie

I recently came into a pair of used CBR F4 mirrors.  As many have pointed out the bolt spacing (40mm) is too small for my 99 VFR (50 mm).  However, I noticed that the mounting bracket is held on by a 6mm x 15 mm allen bolt, and this part looks similar to the y2k post. 

If I could find a set of brackets from a wrecked pair of y2k mirrors, could I replace the bracket on these F4 mirrors and call it good?  The post is 6mm thick where its squeezed by the bolt. 

Is this the same thickness the as y2k mirrors? (It's hard to tell from photos)

The posts seem to be a little shorter and at a slightly lower angle, but looks like it could work pretty good.  I appreciate your help! java script:emoticon(':goofy:')

smilie

Yah, that would work if the shorted and different angle stems don't bother you. I should have some mounts for you if I didn't recently through them all away.

Let me know if you want them I'll send'em to ya. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Yah, that would work if the shorted and different angle stems don't bother you.  I should have some mounts for you if I didn't recently through them all away.

Let me know if you want them I'll send'em to ya.  :thumbsup:

Awesome! If you don't mind looking for them, I can get you postage. Thanks a lot!

I'll give a review of how it goes. If it works, it would definitely be a cheaper way to go since these mirrors are much more common used. And it reuses old parts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Awesome!  If you don't mind looking for them, I can get you postage.  Thanks a lot!

I'll give a review of how it goes.  If it works, it would definitely be a cheaper way to go since these mirrors are much more common used.  And it reuses old parts. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

PM me later tonight or this weekend, I need help to remember to look for them ! :huh:

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's a couple pics of the F4 mirrors on my 99 VFR. I found this is a nice way to get rid of the condoms than buying actual Y2K mirrors, because used CBR mirrors are plentiful on ebay. The mirror angles are slightly lower, but they pick up the lines of the headlights nicely. I think they look more sporty, similar to the old duc 748. Big thanks to "Baileyrock" for providing me with the mounting brackets from his old broken set of Y2K mirrors.

Two old CBR Mirrors: $30 bucks

Two old Y2K brackets: I owe Baileyrock big!

Riding without condoms: "Priceless"!

(Two more pics in my gallery)

gallery_6905_1363_107182.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Mirror1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Would be sweet if others could do it, but now I'm just jellous. You can't buy they bases of the mirrors. So does anyone have a broken off y2k - present mirror that they would ship me the base to? Please............... (in the wineyist voice I could cough up).

Would be sweet if others could do it, but now I'm just jellous. You can't buy they bases of the mirrors. So does anyone have a broken off y2k - present mirror that they would ship me the base to? Please............... (in the wineyist voice I could cough up).

I've got a left one from a 2002. Would that be compatable with the 5th gen?

Let me look !

Archived