Stem Mount for RAM ball?

Guest maltnhops

Guest maltnhops

I can't seem to find a stem mount for a RAM ball. Has anyone made a stem mount from scratch? I'm thinking I can make an expansion plug from a long stainless bolt with some sort of rubber bushing and a nut. I would attach the RAM ball (http://65.102.174.119/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-252U&searchTerm=9m&item=1) under the head of the bolt. When I tighten the bolt, the bushing will expand, gripping the inside of the stem. Has anyone had luck doing this?

I know there is a Stemstand product that will work, but I am already invested in RAM Mount equipment for my stuff. I want to be able to quickly switch from car to bike using the RAM Mounts.

I did have another idea that I doubt will be that well received here. I thought about drilling two small holes in the top tree to mount one of the diamond shaped RAM ball mounts. I doubt the well-placed holes would have any structural impact. The solution is very permanent, though. Of course, I can always cover them with a carbon cover.

Thanks,

Wally

• Member Contributer

Use the two gas tank bolts to mount your RAM ball. There are photos of it on VFR.D if they haven't been purged.

• Member Contributer

I found one of Miguel's pics that shows the ram mount right under the stem.

gallery_491_1035_59675.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer

One more reply to my own replies. :blink: This is the ball mount you will need for tank installation.

ramb231steel.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer
He has a 1994 VFR.  The 4th Gen tank doesn't have any bolts at the front.  :blink:

Just curious... How do they mount at the front?

• Member Contributer
Just curious...  How do they mount at the front?

There is a bracket on the front of the tank with rubber grommets on it and a corresponding slot in the frame that the bracket slides into. There is a single bolt at the back of the tank that holds it in position. From the top you can't see how the tank is mounted as all of the fasteners are hidden beneath the tank.

Here is a link to the fiche at Ron Ayers where you can see a diagram of the tank.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0295/fue..._tank_94-97.cfm

• Member Contributer

And man let me tell you, the first time I tried to remove the tank on my '97, I didn't have access to a diagram and I just about went out of my gourd trying to figure that one out. I couldn't find a suitable place for a RAM mount on this generation as all of the bar space is occupied by OEM gagetry and there are no tank bolts as pointed out above. I am about to order a stem stand from JCWhitney.com. Not a Stem Stand brand but rather a Techmount Stem Bar Mount. Appears to be basically the same thing though. They have them listed for '86 - '05 VFRs but would imagine they work for the '06 as well. $59.99 + $11.99 for shipping and gouging (I mean handling).

Stem stand link

There has to be a way to post that page under my post without having to go through the link but sorry, I'm a total IT knuckle head.....

Guest maltnhops

So, I guess that's a "no". :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the replies, but, as already stated, I don't have tank bolts and I don't want a StemStand. I'll figure something out. :idea3:

I am about to order a stem stand from JCWhitney.com. Not a Stem Stand brand but rather a Techmount Stem Bar Mount. Appears to be basically the same thing though.

Warning: I ordered a stemstand for my '96 VFR, and it's been nothing but trouble. It won't stay centered, and keeps drifting off to the side when I have my GPS mounted on it. I've taken to just letting it sit against my brake or clutch reservoirs, because it's going to end up there anyway. It's extremely annoying.

If I were to do it again, I would order the RAM mount, and drill holes in the top triple plate. In fact, I may do that yet.

I emailed Stemstand at the end of the season last year, and they offered to send me a replacement because there was clearly something not quite right. It never showed up, and I forgot about it while the bike was in storage over the winter. I emailed them again a month ago to see if they would still honor their offer (I suspect the replacement didn't ship when they saw that I was in Canada), but there's been no reply. So needless to say, i'm not impressed with Stemstand.

Which is unfortunate, because their solution is the cleanest, and doesn't require modding your bike. Oh well.

Warning:  I ordered a stemstand for my '96 VFR, and it's been nothing but trouble.  It won't stay centered, and keeps drifting off to the side when I have my GPS mounted on it.  I've taken to just letting it sit against my brake or clutch reservoirs, because it's going to end up there anyway.  It's extremely annoying.

If I were to do it again, I would order the RAM mount, and drill holes in the top triple plate.  In fact, I may do that yet.

I emailed Stemstand at the end of the season last year, and they offered to send me a replacement because there was clearly something not quite right.  It never showed up, and I forgot about it while the bike was in storage over the winter.  I emailed them again a month ago to see if they would still honor their offer (I suspect the replacement didn't ship when they saw that I was in Canada), but there's been no reply.  So needless to say, i'm not impressed with Stemstand.

Which is unfortunate, because their solution is the cleanest, and doesn't require modding your bike.  Oh well.

I don't have a Stemstand but I do have an :rolleyes:.

Can you just replace the O-rings with some that are a little thicker?

Just an idea.

So, I guess that's a "no".    :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the replies, but, as already stated, I don't have tank bolts and I don't want a StemStand.  I'll figure something out.  :idea3:

Not so fast young Padawan...

Have you perused the Ram site?

Ram Mounts Home Page

They have pages and pages of mounts and photographs. It seems to me that this would work for you by passing though the stem and being tightened from below (you'd have to change the bolt length, of course).

gallery_5774_1165_19009.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

ram1056b.jpg

Also, there are mounts for the top of the brake reservoir, the rear of the lever castings, and so on...

Guest Wingspan
Warning:  I ordered a stemstand for my '96 VFR, and it's been nothing but trouble...

I can say that your experience is NOT typical. I know several people with Stemstands and none have the problems you describe. I have one of their fork-tube mounts on my RSVR and it's been great. If I can't find a way to use the RAM mount I already have, I'll order a Stemstand for my VFR.

Guest maltnhops
Not so fast young Padawan...

Have you perused the Ram site?

Ram Mounts Home Page

They have pages and pages of mounts and photographs.  It seems to me that this would work for you by passing though the stem and being tightened from below (you'd have to change the bolt length, of course).

gallery_5774_1165_19009.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

ram1056b.jpg

Also, there are mounts for the top of the brake reservoir, the rear of the lever castings, and so on...

The RAM site frustrates me to no end. I searched everywhere on the site for this item, but was unsuccessful until I simply typed the part number in their search box. Where did you find it? I think it would work, but I need to know if the shaft would fit in the 19mm steering tube. I did find a similar ball mount that would accept a long threaded rod.

Thanks for the lead.

Where did you find it? 

Thanks for the lead.

Off the RAM site - I remember seeing something like it a couple of years ago.

I cannot help with the dimensions though. The best I can do is to recommend emailing RAM with your questions. [Completely agree with your frustration about their site, BTW. I had a hard time getting back to the same place twice. But, it is a big site with a lot of information.]

Another recommendation would be to contact a GPS store where they have some knowledge of motorcycles. GPSCentral and RadioWorld are two Canadian dealers who regularly sell to motorcyclists. They each sell mounting packages. I am certain that they could steer you to the correct components for a stem mount.

Guest Wingspan

I just mounted my Garmin Quest to my '94. I was able to use a RAM mount I already had lying around with the U-bolt end. After moving the clutch master over a tiny bit I found that the U-bolt went nicely around the bar. It took all of 2 minutes to mount. Then I just had to run the wires for my powered mount back to and under the seat for eventual hookup. I haven't wired the mount yet, I'm going to install heated grips soon and I plan to hook everything up at once.

GPS%20011.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

GPS%20014.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

The RAM mount offers a huge area of acceptable locations for the GPS to rest. I can position it both higher and lower than it's shown in these pics without blocking my view of the guages.

I made a steering stem mount for a RAM ball. I used a very long 1/2" bolt and a custom piece I turned on the lathe, made from brass. I will have to get a picture of it tomorrow to post. It is very strong. I have verified it by lifting the front end of the bike off the ground with it.

Can you just replace the O-rings with some that are a little thicker?

I'd love to, but I haven't a clue what size O-rings are on it now. I'd have to take one of the spares in to someone that sells O-rings, and ask for something "just a tiny bit bigger". That's why I haven't done it, I haven't a clue where to go.

If I knew the spec for the rings I have, I could go to a place like mcmaster.com and find the next larger size easily.

Thanks for the idea, though!

I can say that your experience is NOT typical.

So I hear, but Stemstand doesn't seem to want to stand behind their product anymore, so I can't say i'm a satisfied customer. All I know is, the only Stemstand i've ever seen in person on a VFR (mine) is totally unsatisfying.

I can't seem to find a stem mount for a RAM ball.  Has anyone made a stem mount from scratch? 

One of the members of the Dutch VFR owners club has this mount:

gpsknop3.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

montagesp3.1.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

montagesp3.2.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• 10 months later...

Ok so I got my Quest from a fellow member here so I thought I would revive this thread and see about the Stem or clamp on mounts available. Did you get yours from JC whittney and how do you like it? My quest has the ram ball on the back but not extension or a way to mount it yet..... I was thinking of the stem mount for simple reasons but does it get in the way of the gages? Thanks Brian

Archived