Dunlops, no thanks!

Baileyrock

Never been a big fan of Dunlop Sport tires for my type of riding. I used 6-8 sets of 207's which were a great/cheap dry grip tire, but they Sucked Big time in wet conditions which I'm always getting caught in. I now enjoy wet riding cond. after finding tires that will allow amazing lean angles and good speed in rain/wet conditions.

I pretty much only use Sport rated not Sport Touring type tires because I feel a Big difference in grip between the two in my riding style. Once I found that different tires could offer much better wet grip I will never go back to a tire that can't provide excellent Wet & Dry grip unless it's just a track day tire.

My experience and most tire test show Dunlops at the bottom of wet grip, so that will keep me from trying them again.

The best tire I've ever used are the standard Diablo's with exceptional wet & dry grip (road use) , they provided me the highest confidence level I've ever experienced in any condition period ! The Pilot Power are a close second, providing aprox. 95% on the confidence level, great turn in and they maintain profile on the front better than any other tire I've used. They are off a little in wet grip, offering very good grip just off the Diablo slightly. The main reason I'm running Power's is that they last aprox. 10-20% longer than the Diablo's.

Ride On Viffer's.

PS both the Diablo and Power will grip great right down to the cords!

I should add that I do Zero commuting miles, 95% twisties only and push hard every ride(8-9/10ths) of my ability. Your results may very! :P

This is a Power with aprox. 2250 miles on it.

gallery_301_21_11891.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

shop-garage 007.jpg

• Member Contributer

WOW!!!!!!!! i hope i get twice that mileage and actually have a groove or two left on the tire. seems like most riders get two rear for one front.........how is yours? does price play any part of your tire selection? looks to me like you have too much fun for one person! :squid:

That tire is toast. :squid:

I like the D208, or the Pilot Powers. Don't remember using a D207, maybe a few years ago. Never tried the Diablos. 2,000 miles or so on a rear is about it for me too. Gotta pay to play. :D

• Member Contributer

I have been tempted to try the Pilot Powers, but I keep going back to the Diablo's since they grip so well!! I removed the peg feelers from the bottom of my footpegs and have, on occasion touched down the pegs anyway, and the Diablo's never let go of the pavement! They have excellent handling charactaristics as well.

I guess once you trust a tire so well, it's hard to switch.

WOW!!!!!!!! i hope i get twice that mileage and actually have a groove or two left on the tire. seems like most riders get two rear for one front.........how is yours? does price play any part of your tire selection? looks to me like you have too much fun for one person! :blink:

I was just to the wear bars when I pulled out for my usual 400 mile loop and that is all that's left! :blink: It is amazing that this tire never let loose once and at a aggressive Pace.

I'm in the 1 1/2 to 2 fronts to a rear, biggest problems I have is steering gets heavier and heavier feeling as the front wears down.

Price has very little effect on what I buy, I just want the best grip Wet & Dry and hope for more the 2k miles from a rear. sad.gif

I have been tempted to try the Pilot Powers, but I keep going back to the Diablo's since they grip so well!!  I removed the peg feelers from the bottom of my footpegs and have, on occasion touched down the pegs anyway, and the Diablo's never let go of the pavement!  They have excellent handling charactaristics as well. 

I guess once you trust a tire so well, it's hard to switch.

I think you would be very statisfied with the Pilot Powers coming from the Diablo's and you should see a few more miles too! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

What about the Dunlop D208GP's? I can get them for $250 a set delivered from Reg Pridmore since I am taking a school from him in May.

What about the Dunlop D208GP's?? I can get them for $250 a set delivered from Reg Pridmore since I am taking a school from him in May.

I'm sure they are a Great track tire, but have no idea what happens when in the wet? Even a wet track is usually free of Tar Snakes, unlike many public roads. I hope they have improved wet grip because they had very little IMO, but it doesn't seem to be a area Dunlop Sport tires seem to care about. :blink:

Like I said for me there are many great dry grip tires out there, almost ant brands Sport tire will provided excellent dry grip without question. It's what happens when you hit rain at speed that I care about.

I have never tried 208's or 208 GP's and would never plan to unless I needed a cheap track tire. :thumbsup:

For me, if I planned on a track day on my VFR I would just get Pilot Powers and know that I could ride home from the track in pouring rain without fear. :blink:

Most people don't have to or won't ride in the rain if they can avoid it, all I do is ride twisties and don't care if it's wet or dry. In other words I won't let the rain keep me from enjoying a quick Paced day in the twisties.

• Member Contributer

well in my mind I know the Powers are the way to go. Just exploring some other options not thought of before.

I've had great luck with Metzler SportTech M-1's..... many of my miles are commute but they've given me great bite in dry and wet - and warm up very quickly..... My 2 cents.....

Guest Alfster_1
What about the Dunlop D208GP's?  I can get them for $250 a set delivered from Reg Pridmore since I am taking a school from him in May.

I had the 208GPs on my bike when I bought it. In my limited opinion, they are not worth using on the street. I'm sure they may be great on the track, but they are WAY too soft for street riding. At least the ones on my bike were. You could run over Jello, it would puncture the tire, and you would get a flat....... :goofy:

OK......that may be stretching the facts a bit, but they are very soft. The rear picked up anything, and everything, and I was constantly having to dig stuff out of them after gas stops. They still had at least half their tread life left when they had picked up so much stuff they were ruined. And this is riding around Nashville, and NEVER going off of the pavement.

Again, I have only tried one set........your experience could be very different.

I dumped the 208 GPs, slapped a set of regular Diablos on, and love them !!

Archived