Question for the electrically inclined

I'm trying to add heated grips to my 2010 VFR 1200

is there a technical reason you can't use a newer (more available) OEM Honda heated grip?

The Africa twin 2016 OEM heated grips are available and look to have the same hookup for throttle cable and dimensions unless I'm mistaken, the part in uncertain of is it possible?

I'm sure the plug itself is unlikely to simply work but that's an easy enough fix, any help would be appreciated

13 hours ago, Rippin209 said:

I'm trying to add heated grips to my 2010 VFR 1200

is there a technical reason you can't use a newer (more available) OEM Honda heated grip?

The Africa twin 2016 OEM heated grips are available and look to have the same hookup for throttle cable and dimensions unless I'm mistaken, the part in uncertain of is it possible?

I'm sure the plug itself is unlikely to simply work but that's an easy enough fix, any help would be appreciated

I'm sure they can be made to work.

Wiring will just require connecting the right stuff and same 7/8" handlebars so should be possible to physically fit them. However, both those tasks may require some thought and modification to make fit. I doubt it will be simply plug and play, but I see no reason why they cannot be made to work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BiKenG said:

I'm sure they can be made to work.

Wiring will just require connecting the right stuff and same 7/8" handlebars so should be possible to physically fit them. However, both those tasks may require some thought and modification to make fit. I doubt it will be simply plug and play, but I see no reason why they cannot be made to work.

That's my thinking as well, the snag is most if not all newer heated grips have tech built in so there's an indicator on the dash showing they are on and usually at what level, my first thought is this should still be irrelevant to something that doesn't show that info but newer tech can be tricky and it would stink if there's some handshake back and forth communication requirement or they're just over priced normal grips. 

Not sure if I'm overthinking this but $200 to $260 for some Honda OEM grips is steep either way, it would suck if I couldn't get them to heat up. 

• Member Contributer

The AT OEM grips have 4 plugs.  Two on the left front, one on the right front, and one at the rear of the bike.  How are you going to replicate those connections on the VFR?  If you cut those connectors off which wires are you going to choose to use and where are you going to connect them?  How are you going to get the different heat levels?  I know the VFR grips are no longer available, but why do you want to use AT grips on the VFR?

37 minutes ago, swimmer said:

The AT OEM grips have 4 plugs.  Two on the left front, one on the right front, and one at the rear of the bike.  How are you going to replicate those connections on the VFR?  If you cut those connectors off which wires are you going to choose to use and where are you going to connect them?  How are you going to get the different heat levels?  I know the VFR grips are no longer available, but why do you want to use AT grips on the VFR?

These are the questions I'm trying to answer, I'm just trying to use Honda OEM heated grips and I'm not set on the AT grips it just looks similar physically (dimensions and throttle hookup) I'm finding it challenging to find specific info for the heated grips.

I can't understand why you would even want to do that. Modern aftermarket grips are miles better than the Honda grips IMO. Daytona, Oxfords, Koso all have inbuilt auto power off technology so can be connected directly to the battery, and have a low profile inbuilt button so no large ugly controller anymore. However, to each their own..

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

I can't understand why you would even want to do that. Modern aftermarket grips are miles better than the Honda grips IMO. Daytona, Oxfords, Koso all have inbuilt auto power off technology so can be connected directly to the battery, and have a low profile inbuilt button so no large ugly controller anymore. However, to each their own..

I've got the Oxfords with the ugly (but perfectly practical) external controller on my three bikes and can't fault them for usability. My only gripe is that the leads can sometimes be a little short and require lots of cunning to route nicely. 

On 5/5/2024 at 2:04 PM, jeremyr62 said:

On 5/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, Terry said:

I've got the Oxfords with the ugly (but perfectly practical) external controller on my three bikes and can't fault them for usability. My only gripe is that the leads can sometimes be a little short and require lots of cunning to route nicely. 

Thanks for the input, just trying to stick with OEM because my other motorcycle has them and I'm pleased with them, over 10 years of using them almost every time I ride and they still work perfectly. 

From the guys I know I'm person that have installed aftermarket the Daytona have been hit or miss, not many negative comments about Oxfords and I've never Heard of Koso until I just started looking into the aftermarket options, the Oxford have a newer style with the control built in which I would much prefer but they aren't sold in the US as of right now, I've got a couple friends in the UK so I still might do that route.

Heated grips are a pretty simple piece of tech but I'm not certain how the OEM actually function or why there are so many different models for different years and bikes (excluding those that communicate with the dash) such as what are the specs on the controller boxes, what are their tolerances and variance from multiple model?

I know I'm over thinking it and I'll likely end up going with the Oxford anyway 😎

I have Daytonas on my GSXR1000 and they have been fine. I got them just before they upgraded  them with the auto off function so I run them through a Healtech Thunderbox to make sure I don't drain my battery. The Daytonas have been good and they get hot enough. My VFR1200F came with the OE heated grips (red LED). These have 3 settings and these too get hot enough. I also fitted the OE heated grips to my NC750S. These had 5 settings (green LED) and they integrated with a symbol on the LCD dash which was good. However, their performance was not great and they just did not get hot enough. I now have a new to me 2022 NC750X and I won't be fitting the OE grips. I'll go aftermarket, probably Oxfords this time.

• Thanks 1