New 6th gen VFR owner here

Hi all

i am the new to me owner of a 2003 6th gen VFR800. I’ve previously owned an RC36 but now living in NZ I thought I would add the VFR to my collection to use as a commuter and sometime tourer. 

I brought it as a bit of a neglected machine, hadn’t been cleaned or properly looked after in years. Anyhow, 4 days of mechanical bits like CCTs, full servicing, bit of wiring and a damn good clean and polish she is on the road and riding lovely. A couple of little niggles that seem normal for this gen VFR for me to work through but what an awesome machine. It’s up there with mileage being at 163000 kms but seems sweet as a nut. Pic attached, all original panels with a few battle scars and micron end cans. 

Great to be in the forum and I’m sure I will be asking a few questions. 
cheers 

IMG_1413.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations on your 6th gen. and welcome to the forum!

The bike looks good for its age and mileage in my opinion, especially considering it was neglected for a while.  Thanks for bringing another VFR back to life!  👍

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard! These are really great machines, I have an 01 and an 09 and both do great for both fun and commuting purposes. I put over 100k miles on my 09 doing the touring/commuting thing and it's still going, although I did end up swapping out the cam chain driven VTEC engine for a 5 Gen gear driven cam engine, Otherwise it was typical maintenance to keep her going.

• Like 1

Thanks both. It really

is a lovely bike.
Interesting @Duc2V4 about the engine swap. How much of a job is it? I have to admit that I loved the sound of the gear driven cams on my RC36 so if ever a terminal problem engine appeared I would be intrigued to go down that route. I’m an eternal fiddler when it comes to motorbikes 

cheers

• Member Contributer
On 3/19/2024 at 10:13 AM, Bignoz123 said:

Thanks both. It really

is a lovely bike.
Interesting @Duc2V4 about the engine swap. How much of a job is it? I have to admit that I loved the sound of the gear driven cams on my RC36 so if ever a terminal problem engine appeared I would be intrigued to go down that route. I’m an eternal fiddler when it comes to motorbikes 

cheers

It is surprisingly easy. All the mounting points line right up. There are 2 things that you would have to deal with, there's a sensor on the 6 Gen that's in the center of the 'V' that you need to retain on the 6 Gen wiring harness and dealing with the Coil-On-Plugs. The latter, you can get adapter mounts from fellow VFRD member Sebspeed. These allow you to bolt the COPs onto the 5 Gen engine. However, this does require removing the PAIR valve system, so you can use the mounts where the PAIR valve covers would bolt to the motor. PAIR block off plates would be needed for that task. As for the sensor, the wires are long enough for you to bolt the sensor to the side of the frame, so even that isn't really a big issue. No need to change the ECU either.

• Like 1