6th gen woken from a long nap

• Member Contributer

For a variety of reasons I last rode my VFR over a year ago - zero miles in 2023. Today I threw off the cover, dusted off the cobwebs, cleaned and lubed the chain, then replaced the battery and started it for the first time in a few months. Fingers' x'd that I'll manage to get a ride in this year.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0edf6e334bc47ba40cf9b9ecc1d536e.jpeg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fabio222 said:

Stunning paint job. Do you need to change the oil or run a cleaner through the fuel system or anything? 

I haven't changed the oil & filter, but I will in the coming weeks - whether or not I decide to put it back on the road. Handily, the tank is near empty so I'll have to refill it as well. The battery was stored indoors, and kept on a battery tender. Cosmetics, hydraulics, electrical connections, and more are worth thinking about, too.

Edited by Lorne
add battery comment
  • Like 1

Nice one. I must drag mine out from the shed soon.

Need to do oil and filter, new fork seals, new brake and clutch fluid too.

I'm tempted to pull the seals in the calipers and clear out the seal bores and apply some red rubber grease to stop any corrosion developing in there. 

• Member Contributer

Might be worth doing a "critter nest" inspection check in the airfilter box! Seeing she's been outside for so long without a run.

Mice_Nest_6gen.jpg

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Might be worth doing a "critter nest" inspection check in the airfilter box!

That is a great idea, Grum, so I just took a look. Thankfully, my airbox hasn't become a varmint condo, and the filter is pretty darned clean.

On the downside, a very noticeable rattle at idle indicates the cam chain tensioners need attention. Or perhaps the clutch basket. But my money is on the tensioners. Oh joy!

airbox & filter check - VFRD.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Lorne said:

That is a great idea, Grum, so I just took a look. Thankfully, my airbox hasn't become a varmint condo, and the filter is pretty darned clean.

On the downside, a very noticeable rattle at idle indicates the cam chain tensioners need attention. Or perhaps the clutch basket. But my money is on the tensioners. Oh joy!

airbox & filter check - VFRD.jpg

Looking good Lorne.

The experience I've had with CCT's is that the clatter noise has always been evident high up at the cam covers on the R/H side, and its not difficult to identify if its the front or rear playing up by the noise location.

Clutch basket noise obviously should come from down low around the clutch cover region. So it should be easy to determine whether its clutch or cct noise. Clutch noise might also change (unlike cct noise) if you pull the clutch in.

Cheers:fing02:

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Indeed. I suppose that after 93K km & 13 years

I can't complain. Other than consumables, the only failure has been the original stator at 50K km.

• Like 1