Oil Level

Hi there

New to the forum here, I will post up a pic of my VFR800 when I can get a pic tomorrow. 

Anyhow, I brought a high mileage 2003 VFR, it has 163000ks on it. Mechanically seems very sound, I’ve done the CCTs, oil and filter change plus a few other little bits such as brakes and fork oil etc, and a really good clean so it now seems good. Cosmetically a bit tatty but I’m now working on that now all is mechanically working.
My question is that the oil level window is not see through so I can’t see the oil level. I changed the oil including a filter change. At this stage I have put 3 litres of oil in. A couple of questions please:

- How much oil should it take? I will need to just fill for now as I need to use it

- I will want to clean the oil window, what is the best way to do this?

many thanks in advance

Mark

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum Big. 

Check out the downloads page for the service manual in your flavor.

As for the oil level window... I got nothing.

Hey, welcome on board!

The oil capacity for the 2002-2006 VFR 800 was 3.1 litres (I think). I'm fairly sure it's the same for 2006 onwards too. 

As for cleaning the oil sight glass - you can put the bike on it's sidestand, remove the clutch cover and clean the inside of the oil sight glass using some solvent, brake cleaner, electrical contact cleaner etc - if you do that I think you'll need a new clutch cover gasket when refitting.

It's possible it's just moisture too and when the bike really warms up and you're out for a long spin that cloudiness will clear up. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Clutch cover removal is easy. Advise to have a replacement gasket. Instructions are in the repair manual available here for download.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, download the manual here or get your hands on a hard copy. It's invaluable if you are a diy type. 

Once you pull the clutch cover, use a q-tip soaked in simple green or wd-40 to clean the metal shield and the inside of the sight glass. This is the fastest & easiest way I have found after doing hundreds of them. 

The sight glasses and shields do build up with grime after high mileage and/or infrequent maintenance. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. Yep I’m definitely a DIY type. I brought this bike recently as a cheap bike that has just been used as a commuter but not really looked after. Hadn’t been cleaned for months and although a lot of servicing early on not much recently. 

I had to do CCTs, full service and plugs and a damn good clean and polish and it’s come up great.